Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Charcoal Oven new location

1. Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Oh, geez.... Casa Bonita is still open in Denver with cliff divers. They still use the flags if you need something.

It relies on 1. Tourist business and 2. Us locals who try it once to see if the food is as bad as literally everyone says it is. It was edible being on par with frozen Tex-Mex.

They do still have the good sopapillas, though.
    A co-worker spent many weeks in rehab from automatically reaching into the boiling hot oil retrieve a spoon he dropped into the sopapilla cooker. He was training me at the time. He was THE sopapilla guy at the OKC store. Reflexes can suck.

Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

This should be interesting since Charcoal Oven had no inside seating and was mainly a drive-in. Some people took advantage of some picnic tables in the middle of the property and on the far east side. The lawn was always immaculate and the building looked like it got painted daily. Wonder if they will expand things by serving alcohol. First started eating there in 1972 and probably ate hundreds of chickadoodledoos before they closed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishman23 View Post
    This should be interesting since Charcoal Oven had no inside seating and was mainly a drive-in. Some people took advantage of some picnic tables in the middle of the property and on the far east side. The lawn was always immaculate and the building looked like it got painted daily. Wonder if they will expand things by serving alcohol. First started eating there in 1972 and probably ate hundreds of chickadoodledoos before they closed up.
    The property was very well taken care of. Still can't believe it's a tire shop now. Although I have bought more tires in the past year than I did hamburgers from them in their last 5 years.

I'm sure it won't be quite the same since the old 50's style drive-in was part of the appeal of the original spot. Their prices were always a little bit on the high side too, but regardless, I hope they do well and I know I'll be making a trip or two over there.

Although I'm excited for their return the location seems like a poor choice. I'm sure they could have found something between 36th and Memorial that would have been better. I also can't believe they won't have a drive thru. Perhaps no drive thru is why Jersey Mike's closed down. They're changing from a 100% drive thru business to 100% Dine in? With the possibility of another Covid shutdown this seems like a really poor choice.

Quote Originally Posted by KTB View Post
    Although I'm excited for their return the location seems like a poor choice. I'm sure they could have found something between 36th and Memorial that would have been better. I also can't believe they won't have a drive thru. Perhaps no drive thru is why Jersey Mike's closed down. They're changing from a 100% drive thru business to 100% Dine in? With the possibility of another Covid shutdown this seems like a really poor choice.
    They can also do takeout, curbside and delivery in addition to dine-in, so it's not 100% dine-in.

It does not look they will be doing much to the inside.

The menu is already up and there are not any signs of renovation; no building permits have been filed.

I suspect they got a crazy good deal on a space with all the equipment they needed, which is why they landed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It does not look they will be doing much to the inside.

The menu is already up and there are not any signs of renovation; no building permits have been filed.

I suspect they got a crazy good deal on a space with all the equipment they needed, which is why they landed there.
    Seems like they'd need to put in at least a grill and fryer(s), but maybe Jersey Mike's already had them (never eaten at one, so I don't know if they do grilled things, don't think they have fries, though).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Seems like they'd need to put in at least a grill and fryer(s), but maybe Jersey Mike's already had them (never eaten at one, so I don't know if they do grilled things, don't think they have fries, though).
    Very minor, though.

And they could have easily saved the old ones or bought one used as many places are closing.

There are a lot of good deals for someone willing to stick their necks out right now. And of course, with their brand people will be lining up regardless of the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    jersey mikes would have had a flat top grill .. .. but not a fryer

Forgive me if I am being ignorant, but Charcoal Oven didn't use a flat top grille, did it? I recall it was "charcoal grilled", "flame grilled" or whatever words describe flame, under rocks, under a grille?

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Forgive me if I am being ignorant, but Charcoal Oven didn't use a flat top grille, did it? I recall it was "charcoal grilled", "flame grilled" or whatever words describe flame, under rocks, under a grille?
    Since it's their name, I'd hope they'd still do flame-grililng like they used to (can't remember if they used actual charcoal or not). Been decades since I ate there though, which does remind me - are their Theta burgers as good as they used to be at Johnnie's (recent Theta at Johnnie's I tried wasn't nearly as "hickory" as it used to be a looong time ago, IMO, and their gobs of cold shredded cheese didn't help much).

Flame broilers are not that large or expensive.

Would be very easy to add.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Flame broilers are not that large or expensive.

Would be very easy to add.
    yep. every burger king has one. and they move in and renovate all kinds of places

Dave Cathey reporting the new iteration will be operated by Dave Wilson's (former owner) son-in-law who had previously been operating the Jersey Mike's at this location and has a long-term lease on the space.

Also this tidbit:

Allen said he’s been blown away by the response since he first posted photos on his shuttered Jersey Mike’s space about a week ago.

“Mr. Wilson called me up and said, ‘Bill you’ve gone viral!'”
    He's talking about the OKCTalk posts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. But of course, goes way out of his way to specifically leave out that detail...

How do photos posted on a closed store go viral?? Obviously, they would have to be posted on social media by someone. I'm also sure it's the only way the Oklahoman knew about this in the first place.

I just read the story on Oklahoman dot com. Very interesting.

It'll be in print tomorrow morning on the Daily Bird Cage Liner, lol.

They used to have a chicken sandwich that was just to die for. Forgetting the name of it tho.

This is what the Oklahoman means by viral.

Still took them 3 days to report.

Looking forward to eating there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    From my perspective, yes. If you like Johnnie’s, then you might be more inclined to like it. Keep in mind I am over 60, so my tastes and experience might be different than yours.

I recall that The Split-T was the launching off point for several like menu places during the 50s-70s. Charcoal Oven, Howard’s and Johnnie’s come to mind quickly. All were started by former Split-T managers who went out on their own. The menu choices and overall taste were generally pretty close. I loved the Number 1 at Charcoal Oven, which is a cheeseburger with red sauce, much like the same numbered item at Johnnie’s. I thought Charcoal Oven was better until the day it closed. My wife never did, so I would eat it every day when she was out of town.

I’m gonna try Charcoal Oven The first week it opens.
    When I first moved to OKC in 1997, I heard a lot of good things about Johnnies so I tried the number one and thought the sauce tasted like something you would use to clean the engine of your car. Over the years, I felt compelled to "give it another shot" every year or so (just like I do with Guiness Stout) and on one visit, I finally got it and now I can't get enough of their red sauce on a flame broiled burger with shredded cheese.

I still haven't developed a taste for Guiness Stout, although I haven't tried in years and I now like quite a few other dark beers.

The old JM signs are now down and you can see more work going on inside.

I had lunch the other day next door at the Patty Wagon. I curiously asked the owner/manager her thoughts about having competition move in next door. She's actually looking forward to it to bring more people to the area (and her burger business), and not worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by billokc View Post
    I had lunch the other day next door at the Patty Wagon. I curiously asked the owner/manager her thoughts about having competition move in next door. She's actually looking forward to it to bring more people to the area (and her burger business), and not worried about it.
    Which one is the owner? I had a chat about that to somebody at patty wagon and they asked me what charcoal oven even was. Not sure if that was done by design or not. Granted, I hardly knew what charcoal oven was either.

Thread Information