Widgets Magazine

Thread: Tropical Smoothie Cafe

Large Chain Tropical Smoothie Cafe

New stand-alone location with a drive-thru under construction between 7-11 and Wendy's at 717 S. MacArthur:

https://www.tropicalsmoothiecafe.com/

Default Re: Tropical Smoothie Cafe

sign is up for the one going into a strip center at sw 104th & i-44.

There are a bunch around but I believe the MacArthur site is the first location in the area that is free-standing.

Nice! They have great smoothies!

There is also one going in at the new Bronco Plaza in Mustang that is going in by Lowes.

They have a local franchisee who is behind a pretty aggressive expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They have a local franchisee who is behind a pretty aggressive expansion.
    If he is the owner of the one in Yukon, then he might want to spend some money on improving service. The Yukon on seems to always be busy and often seems understaffed from Lunch until Dinner. I would love to have a drive thru option out here... But sadly it is in a strip mall where a drive thru wouldn't be feasible.

I love smoothies. Make one pretty much every other day. Notice i said I make one. Let's face it they are pretty cheap and easy to make at home. It's for me a little bit of OJ, yogurt, banana, just 2-3 strawberries and some ice. I'm probably spending no more than $2 to make one at home. Not sure what they charge here but I would imagine $5-$6?

Never heard of this place before, but after looking at their menu and seeing that one is right up NW expressway and May from me I am definitely going to give them a try. Been missing a local smoothie place after the Jamba Juice in Belle Isle closed.

i am not a big smoothie person but i love TSC. the simplicity of their menu is nice, compared to smoothie king that has like 100 menu options. "menu fatigue" is a very real thing, too many options can make it so difficult. i think tropical has a nice balance of variety and simplicity without getting a headache trying to choose. wish we had them where j live.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Never heard of this place before, but after looking at their menu and seeing that one is right up NW expressway and May from me I am definitely going to give them a try. Been missing a local smoothie place after the Jamba Juice in Belle Isle closed.
    Is Jamba local? I really like TSC, granted I don't think they're local anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    i am not a big smoothie person but i love TSC. the simplicity of their menu is nice, compared to smoothie king that has like 100 menu options. "menu fatigue" is a very real thing, too many options can make it so difficult. i think tropical has a nice balance of variety and simplicity without getting a headache trying to choose. wish we had them where j live.
    I like that TSC has significantly less sugar in their smoothies than smoothie king too.

Take a look at their nutrition guide at Sugars vs Sugars with Splenda -- most smoothies have over 50 g of added turbinado sugars... to something made primarily of fruit! Kinda crazy to me. Just something to be aware of, and I'm sure you could request them to leave it out in addition to the Splenda substitute option.

Quote Originally Posted by cappa View Post
    Take a look at their nutrition guide at Sugars vs Sugars with Splenda -- most smoothies have over 50 g of added turbinado sugars... to something made primarily of fruit! Kinda crazy to me. Just something to be aware of, and I'm sure you could request them to leave it out in addition to the Splenda substitute option.
    Yes, tell them no sweetener and they will not add any turbinado or splenda. They will also do 1/2 turbinado. I usually get no sweetener as I can't stand the flavor of splenda, and they are perfectly sweet.

Tropical Smoothie is taking the spot last occupied by an old convenience store just across from OCU at 23rd & Blackwelder directly west of Pirate's Alley:

Talk about a perfect location! Across from a rich kid college :}

They are going to sell a lot of smoothies to a lot of college students.

That old convenience store was a major eyesore and had been abandoned for a while:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Across from a rich kid college
    I am sure there are rich kids there, but plenty who are on scholarship and from regular working class families. It does draw lots of talented kids with their exceptional music and performance school.

It is a good location for the students. OCU doesn't really have a student business district like OU and OSU, so 23rd is sort of the best it can be at that. It would be good for it to develop more student oriented businesses nearby. Also helps to have a thriving hipster neighborhood nearby. It seems like everyone likes smoothies.

Did OKC remove this area from Urban Design Overlay? Between this and Dutch Bros., the application of an urban design ordinance is lacking...

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Did OKC remove this area from Urban Design Overlay? Between this and Dutch Bros., the application of an urban design ordinance is lacking...
    Oddly, the UDC does not include this small stretch of the south side of 23rd.

It does reach the Dutch Brothers property and I haven't seen any application for design approval.

But they did approve the HTeaO on the old Mutts site.

All 3 of these are very similar within and within a short distance of one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Talk about a perfect location! Across from a rich kid college :}
    I certainly wasn't a rich kid when I went there and have the student loan payments to prove it.

Thread Information