Widgets Magazine

Thread: Hope Lodge

Health Science Center Hope Lodge

American Cancer Society planning to build a Hope Lodge similar to those in many other cities.

This would be on the empty lot between Toby Keith's Kid's Korral and the Embassy Suites hotel:

Every year, approximately 3,700 cancer patients travel 40 miles or more to Oklahoma City to one of five large, rural health care systems that specialize in cancer care. With treatments lasting from weeks to months, the cost of travel and lodging for these patients can be overwhelming. Patients often chose to skip or forgo treatment altogether due to the mounting costs associated with travel.

Because of this, the University of Oklahoma and the American Cancer Society have teamed up with the medical community and various civic-minded individuals to correct this tragedy. We hope to build an American Cancer Society Hope Lodge facility in Oklahoma City, a free home away from home for cancer patients who cannot afford lodging expenses associated with treatment.

For many cancer patients with limited means, the Hope Lodge facility will be the only way they can access the lifesaving treatment they need. Oklahoma City’s five health systems cover Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Kansas and Arkansas. The existing hospitality homes are often at capacity and charge a fee. The Hope Lodge facility will not only be free to all cancer patients, but it will become a system of support. Patients can help each other with meal preparation, running errands, grocery shopping, and moral support.

Default Re: Hope Lodge

That’s great! I’m staying at the Embassy this weekend, and I was just wondering a few days ago if anything would ever be built on that lot.

right next to the Tody Keith Kids Korral as well

Blog Entries

Good news for cancer patients and their families and support. I'm a cancer survivor, there's so much treatment & expenses involved with any options you use to fight cancer.

Have a friend who is going through early chemo treatment. Continue to offer prayers and support for those affected.

HangryHippo Guest

The Tulsa World is reporting Paycom founder Chad Richison gave $5 million to this project.

6. Default Re: Hope Lodge

Interesting journalism source, particularly considering it is from a rival market having more knowledge or at least facts/details than the home "source". At least the home source had early rendering and the location nailed down. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

This was announced last year.

The only thing that is new news is the donation and they have filed building plans.

Work has started on this project:

Press release (photo provided):

Chad Richison Hope Lodge at 801 NE 7th Street in OKC. Opening is slated for early 2023.

• The Chad Richison Hope Lodge will improve access to cancer care by providing free, temporary lodging for cancer patients and their families whose best chance for a cure is far from home.
    • The facility will provide up to 12,410 nights of free lodging each year, representing a savings of more than $1.5 million per year to cancer patients and their families (with the average nightly hotel rate in Oklahoma City costing approximately $125).
    • The Chad Richison Hope Lodge is the only Hope Lodge community in the state of Oklahoma, meaning Oklahomans and surrounding states will now have an important resource in their cancer journey.
    • This is especially needed because every year, nearly 3,700 cancer patients travel at least 40 miles to Oklahoma City for life-saving treatment.
    • The facility will include 34 patient suites, each with a private bath and television. Other amenities include shared kitchen/dining spaces, daily access to fresh linens and laundry facilities, a library, family recreation room, outdoor healing garden, and free transportation to and from OKC's treatment centers.

15. Default Re: Hope Lodge

great idea but seems too small to me. idk.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    great idea but seems too small to me. idk.
    I agree, but it's a massive step in the right direction.

Isn't this about the size of others of these lodges?

I don't know about other Hope Lodges but the Kids Korral only has 12 suites IIRC. I'd expect the lodges in Dallas and Houston to be larger, but I'm curious about ones in similar communities.

Is Hope Lodge any relation to Veronica?

Thread Information