Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Classen Marquette (formerly EMSA)

Default Re: EMSA Property

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    I would like a chipotle to go in here, but I'm sure it'll be a chik fil a with 5 drive thru lanes. Sigh
    Midtown Renaissance doesn't do chains or drive-thrus or cannabis. They also don't build housing units for sale, only rent.

I expect a project very similar to the Boulevard, with at least two levels facing Classen Drive with parking (maybe a structure) behind.

They could easily do a restaurant space and patio facing the traffic circle ala McNellie's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I expect a project very similar to the Boulevard, with at least two levels facing Classen Drive with parking (maybe a structure) behind.

They could easily do a restaurant space and patio facing the traffic circle ala McNellie's.
    You beat me to the punch on the patio and parking. The bulk of parking being located along Dewey would be a win as it maximizes the frontage along Classen and the Roundabout.

The multifamily market is on fire right now but Midtown R has other properties that are far better suited for heavy multifamily development than this one due to its layout. Not to say it couldn't be done but commercial in this particular location makes more sense IMO.

^

Midtown R still owns some large generally vacant lots in Midtown, such as the one south of Fassler Hall and to the north and west of City Garden (formerly Blue Garten).

Midtown R has never done a large multi-family project; just a bunch of smaller ones. Ideally, they'd build housing over retail on their biggest properties.

In the meantime, The Spaniard (formerly the Elliot condo project) should break ground soon and add a bunch of units to the area. The Edge remains highly occupied as do all of Midtown R's rental properties.

HangryHippo Guest

Pie in the sky dream would be a shorter Flatiron-esque housing development with retail on the ground floor. But I’m sure Midtown R will deliver another home run.

Here are the plans for this property: 3 levels of residential with retail/restaurant space on the ground floor.

These are being submitted by the current owners, BD Eddie, so not sure if Midtown Renaissance will be involved. However, BD Eddie had previously told the Oklahoman "we don't do housing".

The project name is Classen Marquette which is also the name of the plat at this location.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Classen Marquette (formerly EMSA)

Very nice. Too much parking, but love the residential on top by the streetcar line.

7. Default Re: Classen Marquette (formerly EMSA)

nice, about 75% right. Very safe development that increases density.

Perfect for that lot would have been at least 6-floors above retail in a V configuration fronting both 10th and Classen Drive, with u/g parking (if any). The courtyard would have residential amenities, and perhaps there could be a rooftop restaurant (fronting 10th) and perhaps a rooftop noise-insulated bar/club (fronting Classen Dr). THAT would be a 100% home-run imo.

But good enough and leaves room for possible development along 10th in the future.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Very nice. Too much parking, but love the residential on top by the streetcar line.
    This is when having zero parking minimums doesn't help... the downtown code needs parking maximums too.

You know which architecture firm is working on this project?

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    You know which architecture firm is working on this project?
    Common Works.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Common Works.
    Thanks, Pete!

More housing is IMO the #1 thing we should be building in the core (for the sake of our downtown and the financial sustainability of our entire sprawling city) so I am really happy to see some built on this lot! The project looks great minus the large parking lot adjacent to the streetcar stop. Is that not a violation of the city's adopted urban guidelines to build a parking lot next to a streetcar stop?

^

It seems that no matter how much housing is built in the core, it quickly fills.

Midtown in particular could absorb much more.

Not bad. A little too much surface parking, but more infill is always good and infill housing is even better.

Looks good!

The comments section on Instagram is wild. One person who went off on a crazy rant on those talking about the need for more projects that bring density to the area.

Agree with all posters above, needs to be the full triangle perimeter with parking garage underneath/center with a rooftop pool.

I definitely have to give props to the design for properly facing Classen Dr and avoiding the stepped design with parking in the front.

Yeah but across the street there's a fence and a parking lot creating a block long barrier and then on the back side there's a whole parking lot creating a barrier to the streetcar stop. It's an island for people surrounded by car storage in one of the most people focused places in OKC.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. I rather a good design that only utilizes half of a lot than a bad design occupying the entire lot preventing any chance of improvement.

It’s pretty easy to tear down a parking lot to build another building. Much harder to tear down a poorly designed building that is brand new.

Actually surprised there isn’t more parking with the large amount of retail/restaurant space. Is that surface lot parking that and the units above?

You know, I often read here that X project is a "home run." In this case, I would say it's a definite base hit!

22. Default Re: Classen Marquette (formerly EMSA)

^ exactly,

maybe a double with the Classen frontage but an error with the streetcar facing surface lot. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    You know, I often read here that X project is a "home run." In this case, I would say it's a definite base hit!
    I agree with you guru, nothing wrong playing small ball. You can still win the game.

Some more renderings courtesy of Common Works Architecture:

the is a great location for anther restaurant ... hopefully the mcnellies group brings another one of their concepts to OKC

Thread Information