Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birria tacos

Default Birria tacos

Does anyone know of someplace that serves Birria tacos on their menu? I know Chelino's will do it if you ask, but I'm not a Chelino's fan.

Default Re: Birria tacos

Yaqui's on S Western and SW 28th has stellar Birria Tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by acumpton View Post
    Does anyone know of someplace that serves Birria tacos on their menu? I know Chelino's will do it if you ask, but I'm not a Chelino's fan.
    I'm curious, had no idea Chelino's ever did birria, thought that was more of a specialty dish. How do they make theirs, is it real birria, made the long-slow-cooked way or is it something else they foist off on people as "birria"? Eaten at Chelino's, and not a fan either, just seems weird they'd have real birria, but not listed on their menu.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Yaqui's on S Western and SW 28th has stellar Birria Tacos.
    You can trust his recommendation, as "taco" is in his username

Also, my dad loves this place, so his username checks out!

Great recommendation, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I'm curious, had no idea Chelino's ever did birria, thought that was more of a specialty dish. How do they make theirs, is it real birria, made the long-slow-cooked way or is it something else they foist off on people as "birria"? Eaten at Chelino's, and not a fan either, just seems weird they'd have real birria, but not listed on their menu.
    I'm honestly not sure. I saw someone post a picture of theirs the other day on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post

I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post

I have so much hidden taco knowledge. You just have to ask.

But some nuggets from the good doctor:
    Best tacos north of River: El Rey Taqueria (near Fairgrounds)
    Best tacos south of the River: Antojitos de Mexico (SW 59th and Blackwelder)

We've eaten at El Rey a few times, and at The Mayan a few times, and have found The Mayan's to be better. Ever eaten The Mayan's and if so, why is El Rey better than theirs?

And thanks to Pete for reminding me of Senor Barrigon, ate there once but haven't been back and need to hit them up sometime soon-ish.

What about farther north? We live in Edmond and that's a little too far to go even if they are really good.

We've eaten at El Rey a few times, and at The Mayan a few times, and have found The Mayan's to be better. Ever eaten The Mayan's and if so, why is El Rey better than theirs?

And thanks to Pete for reminding me of Senor Barrigon, ate there once but haven't been back and need to hit them up sometime soon-ish.

I'm glad somebody has been to both. I've only been to the mayan. For awhile there was an ad that mentioned that OSO had the best tacos in OKC and I was thinking that they don't even have the best tacos in paseo.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I'm glad somebody has been to both. I've only been to the mayan. For awhile there was an ad that mentioned that OSO had the best tacos in OKC and I was thinking that they don't even have the best tacos in paseo.
    We used to hit El Rey when we were on our way down to OCCC to see dance, concerts, etc., and then we started realizing how many other quick taquerias there were on the way down there, so we kinda stopped going. Wife really likes El Rey's pollo tacos, and they are really good, but the rest of their tacos are fairly average now that we've started exploring. OSO's burnt ends tacos are something to write home about, though...

I've been to both of these in the last couple weeks and both are very good! Any more recommendations? Tacos San Pedro has been my regular place for awhile and it's nice to mix it up.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    I've been to both of these in the last couple weeks and both are very good! Any more recommendations? Tacos San Pedro has been my regular place for awhile and it's nice to mix it up.
    The Mayan, OSO, and Senor Barrigon. All are better than El Rey (except for El Rey's pollo tacos, theirs are better than those three's), IMO. El Rey's probably cheaper than those, though, if that's your priority.

The Mayan, OSO, and Senor Barrigon. All are better than El Rey (except for El Rey's pollo tacos, theirs are better than those three's), IMO. El Rey's probably cheaper than those, though, if that's your priority.
    I went to the Mayan last week also, it was very good and would definitely return. I still haven't been to OSO, I'll have to hit that instead of Mayan next time I'm in Paseo area. I will check out Senor Barrigon also, I haven't heard of them. We've got so many good places now!

I went to the Mayan last week also, it was very good and would definitely return. I still haven't been to OSO, I'll have to hit that instead of Mayan next time I'm in Paseo area. I will check out Senor Barrigon also, I haven't heard of them. We've got so many good places now!
    The Mayan and OSO complement each other, pretty different tacos to choose from. Hope you got the cochinata pibil taco at The Mayan, it's their best one (their vegetarian is their least good one - the cactus wasn't tender enough, pulled out of the taco instead of being able to bite off pieces of it). OSO's burnt ends is the best, and I believe my wife liked the mushroom taco there.

Senor Barrigon has the standard tacos, but their decor is very cool, considering it was a former Taco Mayo (I believe) and they have a few funky things that are worth trying.

Senor Barrigon has been closed the last few times I have been by, I wonder if they are closed for good? I actually had just gotten to-go there a month or so ago and it was very good.

Senor Barrigon has been closed the last few times I have been by, I wonder if they are closed for good? I actually had just gotten to-go there a month or so ago and it was very good.
    We haven't been down that way since pre-pandemic (the only reason we venture down that way, generally, is to go to OCCC's dance/concert/film events, which have been cancelled for the foreseeable future), so I don't know if they're still open. That would suck if they closed since they seem to be a step (or two or three) above your general taqueria. Glad you liked it, though!

I only went once but the tacos I had were definitely were amongst the better ones and was hoping to go back. They were to-go only before so I'm not sure how much revenue that could really generate. Hopefully it's just temporary.

I haven't tried it out yet, but there's a place called Rancho Village Food Mart that has birria tacos, quesadillas and ramen (I believe Tuesdays only). They don't have dine-in seating, but it looks great.

Don't think they do Birria but the taco truck off of Ann Arbor and NW 10th, "Taco Express" has just fanstastic tacos - particularly for Pork and Chicken fans. Highly recommend.

Rancho Village at 1300 SW 44th.
    A hole in the wall with awesome birria tacos and consome. Also, a "mexican ramen bowl" (that comes with a taco on Tuesdays) that is off the hook!
    "To Go" only. Very nice people!

Birrieria Utzil has good birria tacos, had some tonight. Food truck in the parking lot of the building that's on the NE corner of NW 31st/May. They apparently put the filled birria tacos open on a grill, then fold it shut before they give it to you, sauce is also pretty good. Had some other tacos there and they were decent, but not as good as the birria one. 6 tacos and one order of beans and one of rice for $15. They're walking distance, so that's good, but dangerous.

Mexican Radio does a really good one as well.

Mexican Radio does a really good one as well.
    GTK, thanks, they're already on our (long) list of new places to try, this might bump them up a few spots.

Thread Information