Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Oklahoma the Friendliest, Coldest place on Earth

Default Re: Oklahoma the Friendliest, Coldest place on Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    So, since the small amount of places you've tried doesn't have those particular items, you've made up your mind.

There are several restaurants that carry the first two and I"m sure the third as well.

Honestly, everything you post is how you've already decided that OKC sucks instead of saying, "Where would I find these items?" Rather, you make a sweeping and insulting generalization: "OKC restaurants are still lacking" while also admitting you've barely tried any of them.

If you really want answers to the questions you keep posing, a little graciousness and respect would go a long way.
    Feel free to offer suggestions. Like I said, I’ve been here almost a decade and haven’t found places I’d like to repeat visit. Would you want me to be fake and lie about my experiences? Or, you could inquire why I think the places I’ve visited are lacking? That’s another way to look at it.

When I lived in another state we had a guest of importance in our eyes who was from Hong Kong. We took him to our local Vietnamese restaurant we considered really good. After finishing we exclaimed, wow that was good. He replied, it was just ok. Rather than feeling hurt that he didn’t have our same view I was more interested in what possibility he could have eaten or restaurants he could have gone to that was so good. Later in life I could be more understanding of what he experienced.

Do you really want ppl to just say everything is great. No criticism is good? If I find something worth saying is great I will say it. That makes one’s comments worthy.

i mean it is tough when it comes to personal taste. you could take me to 10 top 10 high ens restaurants and i probably wouldnt care about any of them. i am picky and don't really have a refined palette. but i would never dog those restaurants or say they aren't good because I know my diet is "restricted" lol. . if the times makes a visit to your city to talk highly about your food there is definitely something there, even though i probably would personally disagree based on what i like

just like the camping we discussed up thread, maybe it's not what you want but it does exist.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleChicken View Post
    BTW, Lee’s sandwiches in Irvine by UC Irvine is much better than our local Lee’s.

Given the first list and then this it just sounds like you enjoy (local-ish?) chains. I've personally found you'd have to go beyond the yelps and eaters to find the good stuff. Especially given the cuisines you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Given the first list and then this it just sounds like you enjoy (local-ish?) chains. I've personally found you'd have to go beyond the yelps and eaters to find the good stuff. Especially given the cuisines you selected.
    yeah, I pretty much like hole-in-the-walls... Mom-and-Pops... forget the fancy ambiance.. give me a park bench and I'm fine. When I lived in NY State, walk up window for a slice was great, more than great. In California, Roach Coach (said with affection) for some fantastic Mexican tacos and food, fantastic. Korean hole-in-the-wall for some amazing black bean noodles. Oh man, once lived near a college town in NY State... A place called Taco Don's IIRC.. Big time hole-in-the-wall, maybe 4 stools but damn that food was sooo good.. that was close to 40 years ago and I still remember it.

We really liked the BBQ Place out in Wellston (The Butcher Stand) until they got fancy and routed ppl in a line with one clinky register. Meanwhile the guys prepping the food are standing around waiting for orders. Good food, acceptable atmosphere, weird business practices... Open up another register guys... LOL..

OKC has some fairly good burgers but I think Cali beats them out. Fatburger and In-N-Out.. . Nics is pretty good.

California had Rubio's Fish Tacos, La Salsa Fish Tacos, Wahoo's Fish tacos.. Had some amazing California burritos on Huntington Beach. Hell, even Del Taco in Socal was good.

Anyway... I'm making myself hungry here... LOL.

Who serves broken rice? Nobody I’ve found. Who serves Vietnamese crepes/pancakes w/shrimp? No one I’ve found. Who makes those delicious meat on sugarcane sticks? No one I’ve found. There may be a strong Vietnamese presence in okc but restaurants are still lacking.

BTW, Lee’s sandwiches in Irvine by UC Irvine is much better than our local Lee’s.
    I haven't had it (I'm vegetarian and haven't found Vietnamese cuisine to be the friendliest in that regard), but a quick search of "broken rice" on Yelp turned up at least 10 places citing it as an offering. Surely they don't all suck?

Here: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...ity%2C+ok&ns=1

6. Default Re: Oklahoma the Friendliest, Coldest place on Earth

If you want honesty I'll honestly say you come across as a pompous ass.

From the derogatory premise of your thread title to your dismissal of the suggestions you've been given.

I've mostly seen you mention chains when you do drop a restaurant name so I have doubts about how diligent your search has actually been over the last decade.

Finally food is subjective and there is no definitive best. It all comes down to personal preferences in what we like and don't like.

yeah, I pretty much like hole-in-the-walls... Mom-and-Pops... forget the fancy ambiance.. give me a park bench and I'm fine. When I lived in NY State, walk up window for a slice was great, more than great. In California, Roach Coach (said with affection) for some fantastic Mexican tacos and food, fantastic. Korean hole-in-the-wall for some amazing black bean noodles. Oh man, once lived near a college town in NY State... A place called Taco Don's IIRC.. Big time hole-in-the-wall, maybe 4 stools but damn that food was sooo good.. that was close to 40 years ago and I still remember it.

We really liked the BBQ Place out in Wellston (The Butcher Stand) until they got fancy and routed ppl in a line with one clinky register. Meanwhile the guys prepping the food are standing around waiting for orders. Good food, acceptable atmosphere, weird business practices... Open up another register guys... LOL..

OKC has some fairly good burgers but I think Cali beats them out. Fatburger and In-N-Out.. . Nics is pretty good.

California had Rubio's Fish Tacos, La Salsa Fish Tacos, Wahoo's Fish tacos.. Had some amazing California burritos on Huntington Beach. Hell, even Del Taco in Socal was good.

Anyway... I'm making myself hungry here... LOL.
    Drive down S. May Ave and you'll find dozens of taquerias, probably on SW 29th and SW 15th too. El Patio tamales has great tamales, can't remember which street they're on though. Ted's is a ridiculous restaurant to base OKC's Mexican food on, it's lowest-common-denominator Tex-Mex (I'm sure I'll catch it for that comment). Also, Birrieria Diaz, Abel's, OSO, The Mayan, Big Truck (although the last time we got to-go tacos from there, the grease and liquid in them was overwhelming, so they're off our list for a while).

Burgers - try Patty Wagon, S&B, New State, and lots of other restaurants that aren't burger places but serve pretty good burgers (RePUBlic, etc.). If any of those aren't better than Fatburger and In-N-Out, then I dunno what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Drive down S. May Ave and you'll find dozens of taquerias, probably on SW 29th and SW 15th too. El Patio tamales has great tamales, can't remember which street they're on though. Ted's is a ridiculous restaurant to base OKC's Mexican food on, it's lowest-common-denominator Tex-Mex (I'm sure I'll catch it for that comment). Also, Birrieria Diaz, Abel's, OSO, The Mayan, Big Truck (although the last time we got to-go tacos from there, the grease and liquid in them was overwhelming, so they're off our list for a while).

Burgers - try Patty Wagon, S&B, New State, and lots of other restaurants that aren't burger places but serve pretty good burgers (RePUBlic, etc.). If any of those aren't better than Fatburger and In-N-Out, then I dunno what to tell you.
    Cool, thank you for that. Tried S&B and didn't like it at all, never heard of Patty Wagon.... or New State or RePUBlic... Tried Bricktown Brewery, burger was good but service not. When we get out of Covid I'll check out the others.

Cool, thank you for that. Tried S&B and didn't like it at all, never heard of Patty Wagon.... or New State or RePUBlic... Tried Bricktown Brewery, burger was good but service not. When we get out of Covid I'll check out the others.
    Also take a lot of time and go through the restaurant forum on here, tons of knowledgeable people offering loads of information, way better than the standard "Great service, food rocks, 5 stars" Yelp review.

you have lived here for 10 years and never heard of Republic ??

hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    If you want honesty I'll honestly say you come across as a pompous ass.

From the derogatory premise of your thread title to your dismissal of the suggestions you've been given.

I've mostly seen you mention chains when you do drop a restaurant name so I have doubts about how diligent your search has actually been over the last decade.

Finally food is subjective and there is no definitive best. It all comes down to personal preferences in what we like and don't like.
    Nice !! Thank you.... someone who speaks their mind. Refreshing. I grew up in the days when guys would have differences, thrash it out, physically or verbally and become friends after. These days people dance around to keep from hurting someone's feelings... so exhausting and freakin boring. You won't hurt my feelings, at least we'd speak our mind and try to understand another's viewpoint.

I go by recommendations for restaurants and if it doesn't pan out, which most don't, I don't go back. Track record on the negative tends to wear on finding a good place.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

hmmmmm
    Yep, not heard of them. Big Box?

Yep, not heard of them. Big Box?
    Ok, Good Egg Group.. Been to Barrios, didn't like. Been in Kitchen 324 for some cinnamon rolls, it was ok. Haven't been to any of the others.

hmmmmm
    Ha, agree with you, that makes the 4th time, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Ha, agree with you, that makes the 4th time, I think.
    lol

lol
    Har Har Har... Republic is supposed to be a high profile place here?

Believe it or not, but La Baguette up on N May has one of my top burgers in the city. There is a place up in Edmond that looks promising, but haven't been able to get up there and try it. Another good burger is The MOB grill over in the Parlor OKC. They just switched to using the same bun as La Baguette. Also I feel like you can't go wrong with a good onion burger from Tucker's or Sid's out in El Reno. I am trying to throw some places out in Suburbia for you.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Believe it or not, but La Baguette up on N May has one of my top burgers in the city. There is a place up in Edmond that looks promising, but haven't been able to get up there and try it. Another good burger is The MOB grill over in the Parlor OKC. They just switched to using the same bun as La Baguette. Also I feel like you can't go wrong with a good onion burger from Tucker's or Sid's out in El Reno. I am trying to throw some places out in Suburbia for you.
    Yeah, I haven't tried La Baguette before and didn't know they made burgers. Haven't heard of MOB.. what's the place in Edmond? Name?

Yeah, I haven't tried La Baguette before and didn't know they made burgers. Haven't heard of MOB.. what's the place in Edmond? Name?
    Livegrass Butcher + Bistro

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Livegrass Butcher + Bistro
    I'd highly suggest this place. Granted I've only had one burger there, I'm making my way through their menu.

Oh, Cajun Corner.. That's a good one... dirty rice sometimes overly greasy/buttery but all in all, good stuff.

Thread Information