Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: COVID: Vaccine?

Default COVID: Vaccine?

If a COVID vaccine is available by the first of 2021 and the CDC assures us it is safe....will you take the vaccine? Also, considering the vast amount of misinformation and resulting conspiracy dialog how many will never take the vaccine? These are questions we will be dealing with soon.

Will you take the vaccine?
    What percentage of the general public will take the vaccine?

Default Re: COVID: Vaccine?

I'll get it as soon as I can, as I'm sure will my wife and kids (although the choice is ultimately theirs).

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'll get it as soon as I can, as I'm sure will my wife and kids (although the choice is ultimately theirs).
    Do you think health care workers will be mandated to take the vaccine? I have a son who is an RN for the government. I can imagine the vaccine being mandatory for him?

this might be a situation/turning point where people have to decide if they want to be a functional part of society or lose access to many things. I don't see the government under any party mandating one, but many employers may go that route. The only way forward for many industries may be even for patrons to have a proof of vaccine. Concerts, sporting events, and movie theaters are good examples of functions that simply cannot profitably operate under social distancing guidelines. It may have to be that if you want to enjoy those things you may have to provide proof of your vaccine.

for me, I won't be running to the front of the line for the vaccine but I imagine I will go get it in a reasonably short order after it is released. Again, you may not have a choice if you want to do things in the future that you did in the past. it sucks but the world has never been a static ecosystem. we have to adapt to survive.

I would once it is proven effective and safe (on MASS quantities of people). So maybe not the first batch that gets distributed, but the second. I am not anti-vaxx, at all (quite the opposite). I just think this whole process has been sped up, and definitely will be if one comes out 1Q 2021. So I would like to see its efficacy on mass #s of people.

Depends on when and if i have anything planned. If one comes out Nov 1st which is possible and the NBA wants to start the season mid dec than I'll probably get it around Dec 1st. I have Thunder Tickets. If I have nothing planned and no place really to go like now then I'll wait a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Do you think health care workers will be mandated to take the vaccine? I have a son who is an RN for the government. I can imagine the vaccine being mandatory for him?
    So I'm not sure I see employers or the government requiring a vaccine. I think that might be too far for most people. But they'll definitely strongly encourage it, and I could see work schedule alterations for those not wanting to get the vaccine.

"Will you take the vaccine?" - yes, with some of the same caveats as the other posters.

"What percentage of the general public will take the vaccine? " - probably not nearly as many as should.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    So I'm not sure I see employers or the government requiring a vaccine. I think that might be too far for most people. But they'll definitely strongly encourage it, and I could see work schedule alterations for those not wanting to get the vaccine.
    Healthcare workers are mandated on several items, including flu vaccine, TB testing, hepatitis titers, etc. Trying to ask for exemptions from any of the required items will usually result in you being reassigned to non-clinical care.

Most definitely.

I'll happily take it as soon as possible.

The real issue is going to be concerning kids and university students. There are reasons certain vaccines are required by schools and you can just see how this is going to be a massive battleground.

12. Default Re: COVID: Vaccine?

Probably not right away. I'm willing to wait to make sure it's effective and not harmful on a large population size before I'd do it. Eventually, it will be perfected and I imagine it will be like requiring MMR shots for your kids before they are allowed in school.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'll happily take it as soon as possible.

The real issue is going to be concerning kids and university students. There are reasons certain vaccines are required by schools and you can just see how this is going to be a massive battleground.
    I can see this issue being another division in an already divided nation. The anti-vaxxers and 'don't trust the government' folks with amp up their rhetoric against any introduction of new vaccine. After a vaccine is introduced some will applaud it and say, "good, things will return to normal". Others will say, "its all part of government control and a step toward a 'one world government". I suspect it's going to be a crazy ride one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Probably not right away. I'm willing to wait to make sure it's effective and not harmful on a large population size before I'd do it. Eventually, it will be perfected and I imagine it will be like requiring MMR shots for your kids before they are allowed in school.
    Same here. I'll much more likelier to be prompt about getting a flu vaccine. Last year's flu vaccine was painless with no after effects.

I'll take the Oxford one, but not anything made here domestically in the US in the first round. The political pressure to cut corners and get a vaccine out quick makes me a bit leery of the Moderna vaccine (especially since it's using mRNA, which we've never seen successfully used in *any* vaccine before). I'd also wait as long as is feasible (maybe March or so) but it depends on the requirements of my university. If they require it (which I hope they ultimately do), I'll take it. I probably won't immunize my boys (both under 9) for another year or so, since they're very low risk.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I think it's important for people to understand this, though. It's very unlikely that any vaccine will be a silver bullet and completely remove the need for other mitigation behavior or treatment development. If it's in the 50-60% range, that's about the same as the flu shot.

If they can get the R0 factor down (or even know what it is) combined with better treatment and a vaccine, then you're looking at returning to what people mean by "normal". Key to all of that is testing. Rapid and cheap testing. One thing that helps contain the flu, relative to this coronavirus, is that if one is symptomatic, they can step into an urgent care office and know in 5 minutes if they have it. Then they (hopefully) don't go to school, work, or bars and restaurants, while they have a fever and are known to be contagious. And even with all that, we still have 12k to 60k die a year from it or complications caused by it.

But none of that is to say that a vaccine is useless and shouldn't be taken if it's not shown to provide 100% efficacy and completely wipe it out in three months. If it's shown to be safe and effective at mitigating spread and/or the harmful effects of the virus, I'm on board. While it would be faster than ever before, there will still be a lot of information and peer review before it comes to market. I think if it is recklessly rushed by politics, there will be enough intelligent experts in the US sounding that alarm to make one skeptical.

In the end, I'm not taking any medical advice from a politician anyway. So, the politics don't matter to me as far as the personal decisions I make, especially when it comes to health. The science is and will be there along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Meh. 50-75% is better than 0%. Being over 65. I'll be in the first group of people offered, and I' take it.

19. Default Re: COVID: Vaccine?

I’ll get as soon as I can get one. I inquired about the trial when they were asking for volunteers on the news a few weeks ago. But I couldn’t because I’m already positive for antibodies.

As soon as possible. Assuming it passes the standard trials all vaccines do prior to approval.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    There’s definitely going to be a “free rider” problem, especially with an mRNA vaccine since it is so new. If most people are going to wait and see, they might have to incentivize the early adopters with cash payments, tax credits or other fringe benefits — like a subsidized Tesla Model 3.

22. Default Re: COVID: Vaccine?

Quote Originally Posted by dclark87 View Post
    There’s definitely going to be a “free rider” problem, especially with an mRNA vaccine since it is so new. If most people are going to wait and see, they might have to incentivize the early adopters with cash payments, tax credits or other fringe benefits — like a subsidized Tesla Model 3.
    With enough subsidies I might consider a Tesla Model 3.

23. Default Re: COVID: Vaccine?

I'll be taking it as soon as I can along with my wife and child.

I have bets the Oxford/Astra Zenca vaccine will be the first to market. We should see that widespread by Jan/Feb. Moderna's vaccine should be next if they can keep the side effects down (I think it was just a fever but they also give really high doses in Phase II so I expect that to diminish in Phase III with proper dosage).

I’ll just wait for the Doctors in my family to give me the Green Light. Definitely will not take Big Pharma’s word for it. Those dudes have an agenda, obviously.

25. Default Re: COVID: Vaccine?

I would like to take it reasonably early, but I don't have health insurance at the moment, so it will depend on cost. I wonder how much of a barrier that will end up being for full immunization in the United States.

Thread Information