Widgets Magazine

Thread: Colorado Police Apologize For Detaining Black Family In Stolen Car Mistake

Blog Entries

Post Colorado Police Apologize For Detaining Black Family In Stolen Car Mistake

Default Re: Colorado Police Apologize For Detaining Black Family In Stolen Car Mistake

The amount of places the process failed here are ridiculous... There's really no excuse.

Default Re: Colorado Police Apologize For Detaining Black Family In Stolen Car Mistake

This occurring less than 2 months after 3 cops in Aurora were fired for pics of them at the murder sight of McClain. They were mimicking displaying the choke hold they put on McClain.

And the response of the police chief makes it clear that she just sees this as an unfortunate accident not at all related to racial profiling. Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    And the response of the police chief makes it clear that she just sees this as an unfortunate accident not at all related to racial profiling. Okay.
    About 10-15 years back (maybe closer to 20 at this point) I got pulled over because they mistakenly thought I was driving a stolen car (a cherry red convertible mustang cobra). It was all said and done about a 10 minute interaction, and I never had to step out of my vehicle. A second vehicle did show up for support. But once they checked my ID and verified that it wasn't the correct car, I was on my way, no problem.

Maybe the OHP is just that much more capable and has better policies than the police in Aurora, CO. Or maybe it's that I'm white. Such a conundrum.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    About 10-15 years back (maybe closer to 20 at this point) I got pulled over because they mistakenly thought I was driving a stolen car (a cherry red convertible mustang cobra). It was all said and done about a 10 minute interaction, and I never had to step out of my vehicle. A second vehicle did show up for support. But once they checked my ID and verified that it wasn't the correct car, I was on my way, no problem.

Maybe the OHP is just that much more capable and has better policies than the police in Aurora, CO. Or maybe it's that I'm white. Such a conundrum.
    i had a very similar experience about 10 years ago with police in Dallas. they pulled me over because of a truck same model as mine with Oklahoma plates seen leaving a hit and run. the first car waited for a second to arrive before approaching me, had his hand on his gun just in case, but the moment i rolled down my window and already had my id and insurance ready to give him, he calmed down, they looked at my plate and realized it didn't match the small part of the plate they were looking for, and let me go. took about 15 minutes. but again, i'm white. and i accept that i never think this would happen to me in a million years. it's crazy what people of color have to deal with.

We're sorry...that we got caught

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I don't think this is an accurate statement at all. She has to weigh the actions of her officers against department training. If they have been trained to handle a situation in a certain way, then she has to determine if they acted properly or if their guidelines need to be changed. She has stated they will be changing policy to deal with situations involving children.

The stop was justified 1) the car had been stolen earlier this year but was recovered and 2) the computer gave the officers a positive match on the plate though it was actually for an out of state vehicle with the same #.

Clearly, the actions of the officers was way overboard and common sense was not used or they weren't allowed to use it.

*** the Chief of Police was just made permanent two nights ago so she is also being careful with her response since she is brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I don't think this is an accurate statement at all. She has to weigh the actions of her officers against department training. If they have been trained to handle a situation in a certain way, then she has to determine if they acted properly or if their guidelines need to be changed. She has stated they will be changing policy to deal with situations involving children.

The stop was justified 1) the car had been stolen earlier this year but was recovered and 2) the computer gave the officers a positive match on the plate though it was actually for an out of state vehicle with the same #.

Clearly, the actions of the officers was way overboard and common sense was not used or they weren't allowed to use it.

*** the Chief of Police was just made permanent two nights ago so she is also being careful with her response since she is brand new.
    While you conceded that the tag on the stolen vehicle was out of state and the cops pulled over a vehicle with an in state tag with the same #, you fail to mention that the stolen vehicle was a motorcycle. All those cops could not figure out this was not a motorcycle?
    This is a profession that requires judgement. It is apparent this quality is lacking in this department.

10. Default Re: Colorado Police Apologize For Detaining Black Family In Stolen Car Mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    While you conceded that the tag on the stolen vehicle was out of state and the cops pulled over a vehicle with an in state tag with the same #, you fail to mention that the stolen vehicle was a motorcycle. All those cops could not figure out this was not a motorcycle?
    This is a profession that requires judgement. It is apparent this quality is lacking in this department.
    You are correct, but the same vehicle had actually been stolen earlier this year and recovered. Between the two coincidences, l think the stop itself was fine. Once they were stopped, it went downhill fast. Yes l fully agree there are problems in Aurora.

Aurora isn't your typical suburb. It will probably become more populous than Denver one day soon. it is also one of the most diverse cities in the world with immigrants from virtually every country in the world and it is a higher crime city than Denver. It's not an easy place to work for any public servant.

Thread Information