Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Weather July 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Last couple days of June will be hot and windy and continue into July.

Beginning Tuesday, the death ridge will be flexing on us. 100s across most of the state will be common through Thursday before some minor relief heading into the holiday weekend. Rain chances look very slim on Friday or Saturday. Outdoor plans will likely be fine.

After Independence weekend, 100s return. Fire danger will be elevated on the windier days and drought will continue to strengthen.

Welcome to Oklahoma summer.

Default Re: July 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Ugh. This wind has been annoying. I feel like I have had a continuous cough since January because of allergies. It just won’t stop!!

HangryHippo Guest

Why has it been so windy lately? Will that be dying down soon?

Wednesday will be the last excessively windy day in OKC for a while, but there will still be wind. That is just what happens when the sun heats the earth across OK. We have such a wide disparity in moist air and dry air across the state/plains, it is a hotspot for wind production.

Heat advisory for the eastern half of the state today, hot and humid - the breeze will be a godsend on days like this.

Holiday weekend looks hot, less windy. If you are lucky, you could get an isolated shower or storm overhead - but nothing organized is expected.

A very outside chance the storms in N/NE OK create an outflow boundary that sparks additional storms to the SW. NE sides of the OKC metro are the best shot at this, although still a low chance.

Temp at our house near 9th & Bryant in Edmond dropped from 101 to 86 in the last hour. Nice.

Very slight chance of a rogue storm or two late Thursday. Otherwise find a swimming a pool.

Temperatures will be 100-105 heading through the weekend and into next week.

The grass probably has a week before it is burnt up.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Very slight chance of a rogue storm or two late Thursday. Otherwise find a swimming a pool.

Temperatures will be 100-105 heading through the weekend and into next week.

The grass probably has a week before it is burnt up.
    Like a 4 or 5+ inch rain projected, I'll believe the hundreds when I see them.

Cluster of storms riding down I-35 in N OK right now. Models, for the most part, kill these off before reaching OKC metro, but we will see if they can make it.

Looks like storms are going to make it. They are currently severe for strong wind gusts. Enjoy the drink!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Looks like storms are going to make it. They are currently severe for strong wind gusts. Enjoy the drink!
    rain in north Edmond currently

HangryHippo Guest

This is some wild weather.

13. Default Re: July 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Really getting drenched here on the south side with a lot of high wind as well.

Deep Fork Drainage Ditch where it crosses Venice Blvd had water easily 2-3 feet over the top of the rails (not the street, the side rails that are 2-3 feet higher than the street), highest we've seen in the 5 years we've lived here, insane...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Deep Fork Drainage Ditch where it crosses Venice Blvd had water easily 2-3 feet over the top of the rails (not the street, the side rails that are 2-3 feet higher than the street), highest we've seen in the 5 years we've lived here, insane...
    Runs directly behind my house and for the first time in my 4 years there it overflowed into my yard.

That thing is wicked scary during a cloudburst... People would not believe how high and fast that water becomes.

Fortunately, my house sits up high and floodwaters would never come close.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Runs directly behind my house and for the first time in my 4 years there it overflowed into my yard.

That thing is wicked scary during a cloudburst... People would not believe how high and fast that water becomes.

Fortunately, my house sits up high and floodwaters would never come close.
    You must be downstream of us. We're a block or so south of it on Venice and yeah, it can go from a little foot wide trickle at the bottom to raging 40-50 MPH 12 foot high rapids in literally 10-15 minutes. Venice turns into a river (again ) when it rains this hard, but luckily our house is on high ground, so it's only ever gotten up about 3 feet on the yard, which is far enough away from the house to not worry (the flood map literally goes up to our curb, it was one of the things I looked at when buying the house). Going to be some big rain totals w/this one.

Interesting. A train of storms have formed just to the NW of Stillwater moving SE. Maybe Stillwater won't be able to get out of the 70s this afternoon.

Severe thunderstorm watch is out. Some strong storms now across northern OK. May or may not drift south enough to reach OKC. Monitor radar if you have outdoor plans Saturday night.

I don't think we need to be downplaying storms after the last 2. This is insane! Not a 5% chance of rain this morning for the whole day. Then this? Man, Oklahoma is weird.

So strange... complete power outage at S.134th and May going on now for over 15 minutes....

That was a nasty storm last night! Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    I don't think we need to be downplaying storms after the last 2. This is insane! Not a 5% chance of rain this morning for the whole day. Then this? Man, Oklahoma is weird.
    The earth is angry...

23. Default Re: July 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    The earth is angry...
    It’s seeming that way

Man, it seems like the models/forecasts whiffed pretty hard on these storms over the past 3 days or so. The only ones they did good with was probably saturday night. I checked the forecast last night, thinking there may be a chance of rain given the humidity, and there was nothing. Fast forward 10 hours, and here comes the lightening/thunder! This happened the other day too. Caught out on the lake when an unexpected line of storms blew in. What gives??

Difficult to forecast MCSes coming down from CO/KS. Saturday was a boundary draped across N OK, with storms riding their outflows.

We could see another rogue MCS tonight and even Tuesday night. However, the forecast right now is for these to die before reaching main part of OK. (We shall see)

Otherwise extremely hot pattern continues through weekend, with relief in sight around Sunday-Monday with some higher rain chances and cooler weather.

Thread Information