Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayfair Shopping Center

Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

For the northeast section that is now mostly renovated, you can see a cut gap between the old and new. They may demolish everything north of that gap.

They first have to move out the UPS store which I believe will go next to Michaels and AM Nails.

The tailor and barber shop near the gas station will be moved to the southwest section before that entire structure is razed.

I really like the direction this renovation is heading. Very intrigued by the possibilities of bringing this area back to life.

They are doing a very nice job it's just that they have to move around the existing tenants and deal with an old structure that keeps giving them surprises.

I go by almost every day and the progress has been very slow, but it's going to be worth it.

Any chance they’ll add sidewalks? Now would be a good time to do that.

They are in the process of resurfacing the parking lot in the northeast section.

They are also adding larger landscape islands and recently installed new lighting.

I had a feeling that was coming, the rendering showed way more landscaping spots than existed.

Summer Moon coffee is taking the eastern space (closest to May) in the southwest building. They will be adding a drive-thru.

The existing tailor and barbershop in the little shopping strip next to the abandoned service station will both be moving to the middle of that same building. Also, the UPS store (which faces 50th) is moving closer to Michael's. Then, the station, that little strip and the north part of the northeast building will be demolished. I know they are working on a new use for all that property but don't know what it is.

This is what will be demolished:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Summer Moon coffee is taking the eastern space (closest to May) in the southwest building. They will be adding a drive-thru.
    Yes! With this, there'll finally be another coffee shop that's not a *$ on May between Grand Blvd on the north and who knows how far south.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yes! With this, there'll finally be another coffee shop that's not a *$ on May between Grand Blvd on the north and who knows how far south.
    What above Leaf + Bean at 36th & May? Or did they close when they opened in Deep Deuce?

And that Dunkin Donuts just south of 36th is crazy busy.

I'm not a coffee drinker, obviously.

What above Leaf + Bean at 36th & May? Or did they close when they opened in Deep Deuce?

And that Dunkin Donuts just south of 36th is crazy busy.

I'm not a coffee drinker, obviously.
    I don't count L+B because they're only open until noon or 1:00, and sometimes not even then - we stopped trying to go after we found them closed twice when they were supposed to be open. Dunkin's donuts, not coffee. But yeah, I get your point - those two could be counted, but one's unreliable and the other is donuts and coffee (and a pretty good sausage, egg, and cheese croissant), not actual coffee shops.

12. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

I know this is the wrong thread but what’s happening on the site of the old church at 50th and May?

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I know this is the wrong thread but what’s happening on the site of the old church at 50th and May?
    Nothing.

It's owned by the same group that is renovating Mayfair and they are working on a bunch of different deals for both properties.

The only thing that is relatively done is Harbor Freight as mentioned upthread.

14. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

I understand they saw an opportunity and took it, and that the church would have only dilapidated and not ever been a church again, but it's still sad to see it go (like to many others). Especially when it's going just to be a grass plot of land for who knows how long.

I like the flag pole flying Old Glory. Nice touch!

I wish they've planted a bunch of trees there, I wouldn't want to be there on a hot summer day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I like the flag pole flying Old Glory. Nice touch!
    It's been there for decades, but they spruced it up and bought a new flag.

The old one was very tattered.

They also didn't add any landscaping islands but enlarged the ones that were there.

I believe they are waiting until after the holidays to move the UPS store from a spot that faces 50th to the bay directly north of Micheal's. Then, they'll demolish the old gas station and the north part of the center that hasn't been redone. I know they are working with a new use for all that land, but not sure what it is.

Seems weird to have the flagpole in the middle of the parking spots, but like ten feet over from a landscaping island where it would be more sensibly placed.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Seems weird to have the flagpole in the middle of the parking spots, but like ten feet over from a landscaping island where it would be more sensibly placed.
    It's been there for a long time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    There's probably some quirky story behind it.

Learned a couple years ago from a former employee of the former owner of our buildings at work that an addition to the building was not square because one corner was technically too close to the (now inactive, and also now not even up on the property as I was told it used to be) rail line. There was some rule requiring buildings to be a certain number of feet away from an active rail line. It was a cool detail to learn because that angled slice of the building always drove me nuts (for things like square footage calculation).

22. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

They've got a looooong way to go on this whole thing. And a whole lot of vacant suites worth of work in front of them.
    Only hope that it pays off with actual business. The whole area is so active, it's insane that this area has lagged behind for so long. I mean you almost have to try to not get a tenant anywhere near 63rd and May.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    They've got a looooong way to go on this whole thing. And a whole lot of vacant suites worth of work in front of them.
    Only hope that it pays off with actual business. The whole area is so active, it's insane that this area has lagged behind for so long. I mean you almost have to try to not get a tenant anywhere near 63rd and May.
    Not only is the idea of revitalizing this area a great one, but the work so far looks really good. I'm very encouraged that, if done right, this shopping center will be very active again in the near future. If they get the right tenants, that is. It will be interesting to see (and Pete may have already mentioned them) who they get on the east side of May, and what happens with the corner where E-Z shop currently lives.

They already have tenants for almost all the space, apart from the southeast section where no real work has even started.

The demographics at this intersection are about as good as they get.

I walk through this center several times a week and they are doing a very nice job and I like that they are being methodical. They are also keeping all the tenants they inherited and either upgrading their space or giving them a completely remodeled spot.

BTW, something that doesn't show up in the photos: they completely dug up the area behind the northeast section (the one with Michael's) and poured a very nice concrete alleyway for delivery trucks and the like. That sort of thing is not cheap and shows the investment they are making.

I recall one of the owners telling me a few months ago that the modern trend in retail is that it is premium to be an open air neighbor to Target. He was surprised by the number of national chains that wanted to be in the Mayfair are because of the anchor of Target.

Thread Information