Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayfair Shopping Center

Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

^

Very interesting.

To the south on the east side of May, there are medians between May and the N/S side street (similar to a frontage road) which is called Mayfair Drive. Runs from 47th to 43rd.

And on both sides of May, there are very big setbacks on both sides all the way south to 23rd and north into the Village.

I wonder if May once was designated as a state highway?

As it would happen... The east side of May Avenue was platted in 1947, and the west side in 1949. Maps from 1952 shows May Avenue being a Route 66 Bypass route and also being S.H. 74.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post
    Really disappointed there isn't a proper sidewalk with trees along throughout this development (especially the east side). Now would have be the time to fix that and beatify it. It's scary and intimidating to walk on that sidewalk.
    Would take a miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Would take a miracle.
    Which ward is this in? Why couldn’t this get a variance? I understand there are parking minimums and I generally don’t have much of an issue with those but there’s also variances that can be given.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Which ward is this in? Why couldn’t this get a variance? I understand there are parking minimums and I generally don’t have much of an issue with those but there’s also variances that can be given.
    I was making a grammar joke about beatifying that area.

Yeah for may being one of the Premier corridors in the city it looks awful. Really, and this is an expensive proposal, is to build structured parking that has a more compact footprint allowing for may to be expanded to include turning lanes, median, and cycle lanes.

saint mayfair shopping center does have a nice ring to it. : )

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    saint mayfair shopping center does have a nice ring to it. : )
    If only that church on the NW corner had been saved from the wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Very interesting.

To the south on the east side of May, there are medians between May and the N/S side street (similar to a frontage road) which is called Mayfair Drive. Runs from 47th to 43rd.

And on both sides of May, there are very big setbacks on both sides all the way south to 23rd and north into the Village.

this piqued my curiosity, so i did some digging in okc.gov deed search and on usgs earth explorer. the strip of land from 43rd to 47th was originally deeded by c.b. warr for use as a park. in 1957, the city documented that use when it negotiated to take about 3.5 feet from this park to add a concrete island divider on may ave. i also found aerial imagery from 1954. the west side of may from 47th to 50th had a nearly identical park and 'frontage road'... hopefully that image makes it through bigger than postage stamp size. that park and road was gone in the 1969 aerial image you posted, but you can see the outline of it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mayfair_1957.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	17281

edit: well, slightly bigger than a postage stamp. if you squint, you can just see the matching park land to the west of may.

Building permit application has been filed for Domino C-store on the SE corner of NW 50th & May.

It will include a drive-thru and a kitchen with a dining area in the NW corner. The front of the store will face 50th.

Also, from the rendering in the first image, you can see a carwash to the east which will take that old derelict parking lot and also be operated by Domino, although that is not shown on the site plan.

https://dominocstores.com/

A big improvement from the Shell station that was on the corner.

I'm sure Domino will be expanding more in OKC.

They are going to kill it at that location.

This is a menu from one of their existing locations:

13. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

Livers and gizzards? I’m in. I make no apologies; I’m from hillbilly people.

14. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here hoping that someone would have help some sort of design standard across project......ugh.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Abandon all hope, ye who enter here hoping that someone would have help some sort of design standard across project......ugh.
    I think that ship really sailed with all the changes to the west side, but yeah, was hoping for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Livers and gizzards? I’m in. I make no apologies; I’m from hillbilly people.
    My mom used to get livers and gizzards from the E-Z Shop when I was a kid, so it suits the menu to bring them back!

I think that ship really sailed with all the changes to the west side, but yeah, was hoping for more.
    As I said before, when Aldi went in, "Mayfair" as a single design entity went away, never to be seen again.

When I lived in the area I popped into that old Shell station that was on the corner to pick up a lotto ticket on the way home. To the left of the register area was a whole area of maybe 20 crock pots that each had a different food item it in they were selling food out of. The place stunk to high heaven. But the lady that helped me was really nice. That was the one and only time I ever went in there. Like I said earlier, this Domino will be a huge upgrade to that corner.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    When I lived in the area I popped into that old Shell station that was on the corner to pick up a lotto ticket on the way home. To the left of the register area was a whole area of maybe 20 crock pots that each had a different food item it in they were selling food out of. The place stunk to high heaven. But the lady that helped me was really nice. That was the one and only time I ever went in there. Like I said earlier, this Domino will be a huge upgrade to that corner.
    Oddly enough, more than a few people I know really enjoyed some of the stuff in those crockpots. Always sounded weird to me.

After posting this on social media, lots of comments about the general niceness of the Domino stores and that their breakfast items are particularly good.

The ones in Shawnee are well managed, clean, and have good food.

With the aggressiveness of OnCue, 7-11, Caseys and now Domino, you have to believe that a lot of the smaller, older mix of convenience stores will continue to die off.

Generally speaking, that is not a bad thing as so many are eyesores, including the old Shell station at Mayfair.

^

Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    As it would happen... The east side of May Avenue was platted in 1947, and the west side in 1949. Maps from 1952 shows May Avenue being a Route 66 Bypass route and also being S.H. 74.
    This section of May was also State Hwy 3.

Blog Entries

There's a prime corner at 36/Portland (NWC) that I'm continually surprised one of these chains hasn't picked up. Pretty high volume corner.

With the aggressiveness of OnCue, 7-11, Caseys and now Domino, you have to believe that a lot of the smaller, older mix of convenience stores will continue to die off.

Generally speaking, that is not a bad thing as so many are eyesores, including the old Shell station at Mayfair.
    Yeah but I really hate to see another Shell option bite the dust. I wish OKC would have more Shell and Mobil gas stations. Texaco is nice too.

Thread Information