Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayfair Shopping Center

Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

I had made an educated guess that 7-11 would be taking the SE corner of NW 50th & May.

Yesterday I heard it will likely be a Domino C-store.

They are locally owned and are similar to OnCue in that some locations have a drive-thru and they usually feature a grill that serves pizza and fried chicken as well as other items.

They are based in Clinton and have a number of locations in Western Oklahoma. The nearest one to OKC is in Yukon (NW 10th & Garth Brooks).

https://dominocstores.com/

Also locations in Blanchard, Tuttle, Newcastle, Chickasha, and even over near Shawnee.

I suppose this means yet another convenience store chain is expanding in the OKC market.

Good grief... For the longest time we only had the world's crappiest 7-11's and now these large-scale stores are everywhere and it seems every day there is news of another one.

The margins must be very high for these operators because they are spending millions and millions.

Even though internal combustion engines will be around for quite a while, it's not hard to imagine a drastic reduction in the next few decades. I suppose many of these places can convert to at least some electric chargers but you'd think that future c-stores will be more lounge-like since refueling is going to take more than a minute or two in almost any scenario.

You have to believe these places are going to look very different in the future that is rapidly approaching.

I've utilized the Domino in Woodward many times out there and it's pretty nice. About on par with OnCue, but not all their stores are alike.

I hope they have a drive thru at this location. I've gotten spoiled by the few drive-thru On-Cues around town,

^^^ well given the picture Pete provided it looks like they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^ well given the picture Pete provided it looks like they will.
    I couldn't tell if that was just a sample photo or if it was the actual type that would be built.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I couldn't tell if that was just a sample photo or if it was the actual type that would be built.
    It is just a sample photo.

They have not filed specific plans for Mayfair.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I bet they put a drive through. Most modern buildings have drive thru. Not sure why they wouldn’t.

10. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I suppose this means yet another convenience store chain is expanding in the OKC market.

Good grief... For the longest time we only had the world's crappiest 7-11's and now these large-scale stores are everywhere and it seems every day there is news of another one.

The margins must be very high for these operators because they are spending millions and millions.

Even though internal combustion engines will be around for quite a while, it's not hard to imagine a drastic reduction in the next few decades. I suppose many of these places can convert to at least some electric chargers but you'd think that future c-stores will be more lounge-like since refueling is going to take more than a minute or two in almost any scenario.

You have to believe these places are going to look very different in the future that is rapidly approaching.
    Not 100% certain of this, but I’ve heard more than once that C-stores make very little profit from gas sales due to extremely low margins and competition-driven pricing, and that they make most of their profit from selling drinks, snacks and other items to people who visit the inside.

That said, once a significant number of drivers have switched to electric these stores obviously ARE going to have to find other ways to induce folks to stop and come inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I bet they put a drive through. Most modern buildings have drive thru. Not sure why they wouldn’t.
    Impulse purchases would be one reason. If those sales make up a significant amount of sales I could see a reluctance to install and staff them. It increases man hours for staff to fill soda cups and other order picking.

All these places must be doing a healthy business from their food grills because they are now included in almost all the new stores from all the different operators. Casey's is spending a fortune to add them to the old Circle K's and OnCue has actually gone back to newish stores and added hot food.

Not sure how they are finding the staff given the difficulties of every other fast food and sit-down restaurant.

Convenience stores are fascinating because it's the one place where almost every American spends money at least once a week. Very curious how they will evolve with the trend toward electric vehicles, although I'm sure Oklahoma will see less penetration than most states due to the heavy influence of the local fossil fuel industry.

In the last photo, the tailor and barber will be moving to the middle two spaces; Summer Moon will be on the left (east) and for the remainder (covered patio on the west end) they are hoping to find a restaurant.

14. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

Seeing the bare insides of those shells shows how much money was, quite frankly, wasted on dead air. At the end of the day, it's a plain rectangle brick strip mall with some crap slapped on the front to make it look fancier (like any stripmall). But dang did they create a lot of dead weight with the old design. It was harder to fully appreciate how much dead space there was until you see it opened up. Fake dormers galore! And the one on the end could rival some small church bell towers! lol.

The older structure there on the SW corner (metal pref-ab shell) surprises me that it will stay and not be dozed. Yeah, the shell is in good shape and there really isn't a good reason to toss it. But the structure itself seems, well just 1960's design weird. You can get a lot of contiguous space out of those structures so it could actually serve as a pretty good small business office. But those weird ceiling heights are just that. So i'm hoping that whatever goes in there, totally owns the retro feel....think the Vegas sign. Like so many of the other businesses that have taken over the old lots, it will have absolutely zero aesthetic connection to the rest of MayFair, but it looks like they gave up on that a long time ago anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Seeing the bare insides of those shells shows how much money was, quite frankly, wasted on dead air. At the end of the day, it's a plain rectangle brick strip mall with some crap slapped on the front to make it look fancier (like any stripmall). But dang did they create a lot of dead weight with the old design. It was harder to fully appreciate how much dead space there was until you see it opened up. Fake dormers galore! And the one on the end could rival some small church bell towers! lol.

The older structure there on the SW corner (metal pref-ab shell) surprises me that it will stay and not be dozed. Yeah, the shell is in good shape and there really isn't a good reason to toss it. But the structure itself seems, well just 1960's design weird. You can get a lot of contiguous space out of those structures so it could actually serve as a pretty good small business office. But those weird ceiling heights are just that. So i'm hoping that whatever goes in there, totally owns the retro feel....think the Vegas sign. Like so many of the other businesses that have taken over the old lots, it will have absolutely zero aesthetic connection to the rest of MayFair, but it looks like they gave up on that a long time ago anyway.
    Mayfair's whole aesthetic was destroyed when part of it was dozed and Aldi was built, and there won't be a unifying aesthetic going forward, so it'll just be a bunch of shops rather than a true shopping center.

Some renderings of Summer Moon:

Very Nice!

18. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

It's not quite owning the retro, but i love that they have lights in there that give a nod to it. Very nice indeed.

Darn those annoying poles though, right? Dang columns are always in the least helpful location.....

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    It's not quite owning the retro, but i love that they have lights in there that give a nod to it. Very nice indeed.

Darn those annoying poles though, right? Dang columns are always in the least helpful location.....
    Since that's all new construction inside, wonder why they don't make the beams larger so they wouldn't have to use poles?

My understanding is they will shift the tailor and barbershop from the weird section that is attached to the old gas station sometime in March. They will go next to Summer Moon, which will open about the same time.

The UPS Store is moving to a new space just north of Michaels.

Once all that happens, then demo the northern section of the center. I'm pretty sure it will be for Domino C-store, but that hasn't been confirmed.

I have an odd question. Is the small, dilapidated parking area at NW 50th & Steanson (east of the UPS Store) part of Mayfair Shopping Center redevelopment project?

Really disappointed there isn't a proper sidewalk with trees along throughout this development (especially the east side). Now would have be the time to fix that and beatify it. It's scary and intimidating to walk on that sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I have an odd question. Is the small, dilapidated parking area at NW 50th & Steanson (east of the UPS Store) part of Mayfair Shopping Center redevelopment project?
    Yes. Same owners.

This is from 1969. I'm not sure any sort of building was ever on that site.

Very similar to the odd little parking area south of the center on the east side of May.

Those odd little parking areas are remnants from the original plat. The property was platted with small frontage roads and medians but they were never developed that I can tell. Aldi had to get a variance from the City of Oklahoma City to redevelop the property because the parking lot is built over the "frontage road" and technically over public right-of-way. Kind of a weird deal.

Thread Information