Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayfair Shopping Center

Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

^

And that's why they got Harbor Freight.

I suspect they have another bigger tenant for the area that will be demolished along 50th.

It wouldn't surprise me if they also just demolish the entire southeast section in favor of more stand-alone businesses like Harbor Freight. Smaller retail is really hurting right now.

People need to remember that almost all businesses (and especially retailers) are still reeling from the pandemic. Everyone is extra cautious about expansion and trying to figure out what the future may hold now that it's obvious this virus is something we are going to have to live with for a long time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Not only is the idea of revitalizing this area a great one, but the work so far looks really good. I'm very encouraged that, if done right, this shopping center will be very active again in the near future. If they get the right tenants, that is. It will be interesting to see (and Pete may have already mentioned them) who they get on the east side of May, and what happens with the corner where E-Z shop currently lives.
    I agree it's good to revitalize this area, but I would argue that there are two things they could have done to have made it all better.

1) They absolutely should have been made to build a sidewalk here at the very least
    2) Let's face it, that parking lot hasn't been full in decades, they should have built new structures for some shops along the street. There are existing examples of smaller shop footprints in this center (such as the shops fronting the gas station).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mayfair.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	17221

^

Remember, there is a lot of retail space and the city has minimum parking requirements. Those probably need to go, but until they do, it's not a matter of the spaces needed, it's what is required by code.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I don't count L+B because they're only open until noon or 1:00, and sometimes not even then - we stopped trying to go after we found them closed twice when they were supposed to be open. Dunkin's donuts, not coffee. But yeah, I get your point - those two could be counted, but one's unreliable and the other is donuts and coffee (and a pretty good sausage, egg, and cheese croissant), not actual coffee shops.
    Leaf and Bean is supposedly changed hands to another larger coffee shop group (regional I think, it was a while since I had heard). I was also told it would open back up shortly after closing and yet nothing has happened. The shack on 36th & May is really needing to be repaired on the looks, its kinda falling apart now.

Back to parking requirements, I just looked up the code and then did some calculations.

For the section below, that is about 70,000 square feet of retail space. OKC code requires 1 space for every 200 SF of retail up to 12,000 SF; 1 for 225 SF for the next 36,000 and 1 for 300 SF for the remainder.

That means this section of the center would require 293 spaces. In the photo below, there are only about 200 spaces. They can get away with this because they are existing structures but I'm also sure they would not be allowed to reduce the number of spaces that are already well below the current code. And adding a sidewalk along May would have caused the loss of 20 spaces.

Other cities have eliminated minimum parking requirements completely and OKC has done the same in a big part of downtown and the core.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    In fact, there is a sidewalk on that side or May to the south, and I never, ever use it because I merely walk up Mayfair Drive which runs parallel but is separated from the crazy May traffic by a wide strip of landscaping.
    Random, but I wish more shopping centers and neighborhoods had this feature of being separated from the main road by the wide strip of landscaping as this area is.

I don't know this for sure, but my hunch is that when they demolish the northern part of the northeast section of the center (shown two posts above), the new use will be 7-11.

As we all know, 7-11 has been in an aggressive expansion mode since the corporate buyout. And OnCue already has a location 1 mile south at 36th & May and also owns the old Founders Bank property less than a mile to the north. Casey's has nearby locations including 39th & May, which is very close to Mayfair.

Below is a map of all the current 7-11 locations in relation to Mayfair (indicated by the star). The 7-11's in closest vicinity are all older and small; the closest one is actually on a side street off May. Putting all this together, my bet is that we'll soon be seeing a new 7-11 on the southeast corner of NW 50th & May.

That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it's certainly not very exciting.

This makes sense as I’m not sure the 59th/May 7-Eleven is long for this world once the Founders Bank OnCue opens.

^^^^^^ Neither is the NW 122 & May 7-11. No gas pumps, horrible restroom, and it has a larger and now remodeled 7-11 and OnCue 1 mile south at May/Hefner.

Just please get rid of the 7-11 on NW Expwy and Independence. It is a sh!t show getting in and out of that lot. Only 4 pumps and has the worst curb cuts imaginable. It’s dangerous and will only get worse when the new integris hospital opens.

I just learned that the new owners plan to demolish the southeast section (that was formerly home to Steinmart and others) because after tearing into it they found a real mess and it's not feasible to save it.

They will demolish then see what the market yields. I know they'd like another grocery store even though Aldi is right across the street.

And south of Interbank, they are still trying to finalize the deal with Harbor Freight but they have become more pessimistic that it will move forward, so they will proceed with the renovation of that section with the option to still do a deal with Harbor Freight should they get their act together.

I noticed they have starting work on the section north of Aldi and removing the old "clock tower" feature. what they have done so far looks great on the property looks great. I am excited about the little section south of Aldi and can't wait for Summer Moon. they have great coffee. the BF brings me coffee from them when traveling back from seeing the parental units in yukon. Their coffee is Oak roasted and is so good!

I saw a legal notice last week for a "Mayfair Event Center" requesting a liquor license. I recall the street address suggesting it would be on the East side of May.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I saw a legal notice last week for a "Mayfair Event Center" requesting a liquor license. I recall the street address suggesting it would be on the East side of May.
    It's this place:

http://www.mayfairec.com/

It's been there for a while; an old elementary school.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I just learned that the new owners plan to demolish the southeast section (that was formerly home to Steinmart and others) because after tearing into it they found a real mess and it's not feasible to save it.

They will demolish then see what the market yields. I know they'd like another grocery store even though Aldi is right across the street.

And south of Interbank, they are still trying to finalize the deal with Harbor Freight but they have become more pessimistic that it will move forward, so they will proceed with the renovation of that section with the option to still do a deal with Harbor Freight should they get their act together.
    Too bad if HB falls through. Sounds like the new owners are being methodical and trying to do this the right way, but I know nothing about construction.

If the Harbor Freight deal falls through, I wouldn't mind if Northern Tool locates a store on the north side of OKC.

^^^^ Or a Steve's WholeSale Tools.

I take it those are along the same line as Harbor Freight? Reasonably priced stuff?

I love Harbor Freight, but I hope they don't wind up in Mayfair. They have an industrial look to their buildings that I don't think will fit with the rest of the center. The SW corner looks like ownership is really spending to rebuild it. The concrete parking lot looks it will be expensive and long lasting.

I can easily see a new convenience store on the NE corner. A gas station has been there for 60 years, I think.

I like how the dominos fall a little bit at a time in regards to the remodel and tenant news.

Summer Moon has filed their building permit:

Blog Entries

what the heck is wood fired coffee?

What is wood fired coffee?
    Like a gas roaster, the wood flame has no direct avenue to the beans. Fans pull the hot air off the fire and fling it over the beans in the drum. The wood, being in essentially an oven, burns super hot and fast and therefore clean. There's no smoke. The choice of wood helps. I did not know this.

Blog Entries

Sorry I don't drink coffee so am baffled by the seemingly endless ways to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Sorry I don't drink coffee so am baffled by the seemingly endless ways to make it.
    It's great coffee. It's a franchise out of Texas. They have a coffee shop in Yukon and one in Edmond. I am excited they are building here, I know the owners. They live close. It will be a great addition.

Thread Information