Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 171819202122

Thread: Mayfair Shopping Center

1. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

Quote Originally Posted by irishtate View Post
    If I hear the terms "mixed use" or "residential component" in conjunction with new developments, and the lack thereof I'm going to flip my lid. . . . Just appreciate that a once blighted area is getting revamped and move on. . . . Everyone should quit being so 'whynot' and 'whatif' about everything.
    I disagree. I think it is always important to ask questions about what is being developed in certain areas. We have lost a lot of what makes a community easier to walk and live in, and we keep adding more barriers that make us use cars. That being said, I still love the updates to Mayfair Shopping Center. I live in this area as well and spend money at several places, including local companies like Empire Slice and Sheesh Mahal.

I actually believe the more we ask questions or give opinions on what would look nice in a particular area, the more likely a larger developer will see the potential. They will do what they want if we say nothing and give no opinions.

Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

Quote Originally Posted by irishtate View Post
    If I hear the terms "mixed use" or "residential component" in conjunction with new developments, and the lack thereof I'm going to flip my lid. . . . Just appreciate that a once blighted area is getting revamped and move on. . . . Everyone should quit being so 'whynot' and 'whatif' about everything.
    Relax, Nancy. This is a forum for discussion.

I talked to the main partner on Mayfair last week, and we have discussed the project many times. He has always emphasized that the main reason this project works financially is because the majority of tenants are national operators who are accepting of the rents required by new construction costs.

I have never heard him say a residential component was considered. But I have never asked him about that specifically.

I'm guessing the neighborhood would not support the rents needed for new construction on the site. At least not at the comfort level of the investors. Meaning speed and ease of return on investment.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    Relax, Nancy. This is a forum for discussion.
    Well see, now you're just kind of being rude.

https://www.okctalk.com/search.php?searchid=10545217

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. It’s all a part of almost any development after the fact. But, the reality is that this group has brought the Mayfair Shopping Center back from the dead. This entire area is ripe for explosion all the way to Classen. So many good things happening and I would love to be in the middle of it all.

Even though it's far from my favorite type of development, I'm firmly on team "this is a great improvement." And that's as someone who offices walkable to all of this and has parents that live walkable to all of this and do actually walk to a number of the businesses in the development.

I do wonder how different the perception would be if May Ave wasn't a 5 lane thoroughfare with many drivers regularly going 45-50+ and whether there wold be more "charm" to this type of development if the car traffic moved at a much slower pace and there wasn't as much distance between the sides of the street. Is obviously never going to happen, but I wonder if many of the complaints have less to do with the development itself, but more of the environment in which it is located. Though you could probably convince me the two are inextricably linked, I have seen examples of "generic strip malls" that still have life, a sense of place, and walkability when done right and when the streets aren't mini-highways.

Previous plans have shown 5 Guys taking space in a new building proposed directly south of HTeaO.

But now it looks like they are going into the building currently under construction on the NW corner of 50th & May; Starbucks will be in south end of this same building. Both will have drive-thrus.

I question how long 5 Guys will be in business? The prices are very high for fast food. I applaud the move from a stand alone restaurant to a tenant. I wonder what restaurant will take the place if 5 Guys pulls out?

I think I heard there is a new to OKC auto brakes company and Swig going into the south end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Previous plans have shown 5 Guys taking space in a new building proposed directly south of HTeaO.

But now it looks like they are going into the building currently under construction on the NW corner of 50th & May; Starbucks will be in south end of this same building. Both will have drive-thrus.

Where will Taco Casa go in relation to this, north?

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Where will Taco Casa go in relation to this, north?
    South, I believe.

Taco Casa is proposed for the parcel north of where Five Guys and Starbucks will be located.

To the south (on the hard corner), another little strip center is planned.

I think going south on May Avenue from NW Expressway we will see Whataburger, Jack in The Box, (street and high wall) Taco Casa, and then the building with Starbucks and 5 Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I think going south on May Avenue from NW Expressway we will see Whataburger, Jack in The Box, (street and high wall) Taco Casa, and then the building with Starbucks and 5 Guys.
    That's what I thought too, hence my previous post. But looking back at the thread, it's said Taco Casa is going at the north end of the parcel. I found a pic in the thread that must've stuck in my head to make me think that, the top of the pic is south, and Taco Casa's logo is at the bottom (way back on page 15 or 16, I think).

16. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

I had to grab a quick lunch yesterday and stopped by the Panda Express. The place was packed inside, and the drive-thru was full of cars. There were also a ton of to-go orders waiting for pick up inside. It is clear the locals are happy with this new spot!

Thread Information