Thread: Mayfair Shopping Center

Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Was it a plant store next to Ron's?
    Yes, but they moved out some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, but they moved out some time ago.
    Plant Wisdom, and the last names of the co-owners really are Plant and Wisdom. We shopped there a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    They started on the SE corner first and it still looks the same. Any idea what is going on there?

Since that section is vacant, they pulled off some of the facade to see what was behind.
    This is not a smart aleck answer....paragraph 2 is the answer to paragraph 1.

Sometime within the last year IIRC, the late Mark Ruffin discussed with me some of the property history and his ownership groups ideas for the future. All of this is from memory, so take it with a grain of salt.

When current ownership bought Mayfair it was essentially the left overs from a large real estate package that had been foreclosed on and sold off. The parcels that made up CVS and Aldi had value and were stripped out of the property sold to Ruffin and partners. What they bought was, for the most part, salvage. I think a description of the purchase was something like value of raw land, minus the cost to scrape off existing buildings. New owners, being all local, had good memories of Mayfair, and decided to take a chance.

The southeast corner, being vacant, gave them the best chance to to a partial demo and learn the true condition of what they bought. I think the short term pain of what we see now will help them keep the property vibrant for another 60 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post

Sometime within the last year IIRC, the late Mark Ruffin discussed with me some of the property history and his ownership groups ideas for the future. All of this is from memory, so take it with a grain of salt.

When current ownership bought Mayfair it was essentially the left overs from a large real estate package that had been foreclosed on and sold off. The parcels that made up CVS and Aldi had value and were stripped out of the property sold to Ruffin and partners. What they bought was, for the most part, salvage. I think a description of the purchase was something like value of raw land, minus the cost to scrape off existing buildings. New owners, being all local, had good memories of Mayfair, and decided to take a chance.

The southeast corner, being vacant, gave them the best chance to to a partial demo and learn the true condition of what they bought. I think the short term pain of what we see now will help them keep the property vibrant for another 60 years.
    I would love Mayfair to be vibrant again. I have great memories of riding my bike up to a bunch of the stores up there as a kid, whether it was Otasco, or Langsam Drug, etc. It used to be a pretty nice shopping center, and I really hope the new owners are successful.

Remember French Market Mall. I remember going to a movie there. Early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    I'm almost certain my parents took us to see The Right Stuff at that movie theatre, and there was smoking allowed in the theatre, maybe in the balcony?

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I'm almost certain my parents took us to see The Right Stuff at that movie theatre, and there was smoking allowed in the theatre, maybe in the balcony?
    Sorry about the tangent, but saw Andy Warhol's Dracula and Frankenstein in 3-D at French Market, those were a trip...

Heck, back in those days you could smoke anywhere. Even a hospital room.

TBH, I don't think the French Market Mall Cinema 2 (?) had a balcony.

TBH, I don't think the French Market Mall Cinema 2 (?) had a balcony.
    No, it didn't have a balcony.

Just a small twin theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No, it didn't have a balcony.

Just a small twin theater.
    Well it was a long time ago!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Sorry about the tangent, but saw Andy Warhol's Dracula and Frankenstein in 3-D at French Market, those were a trip...
    Killer.

I remember living and working a block or 2 away from Mayfair Village back in the early 1980's to 1985. There was a lot going on there, busy area, and I clearly remember patronizing Langsam Drug and the Stone's IGA the most, and I did patronize the other retailers in the Mayfair Village.

Not to go off topic, but I had no idea Mark died. He and his late parents were former neighbors and just the greatest people. I'm just heartbroken to see this news.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    French Market was a bit further north than Mayfair, it was on NW 63rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    French Market was a bit further north than Mayfair, it was on NW 63rd.
    Still is

Still is
    [rim shot]

This is a rendering of the rest of the renovated center.

Blog Entries

Hope they add a bunch of landscaping and trees to the parking lot. Would go a long way to making it seem like an inviting place to go shop.

Very nice upgrade! Sort of a Mountain Chalet vibe.

This rendering shows the intention to remove the part of the center that faces NW 50th; not sure of the plans for the former service station on the SE corner of 50th & May.

Also looks like they plan to redo the facade for Interbank to match the rest of the renovation.

I think that looks fabulous and will most certainly help rejuvenate the area.

Blog Entries

Do we trust that rendering? It shows those faux roof window things still but they're actually being removed.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Do we trust that rendering? It shows those faux roof window things still but they're actually being removed.
    Those dormers are being replaced; the new ones are already at the site.

Blog Entries

I see

25. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Hope they add a bunch of landscaping and trees to the parking lot. Would go a long way to making it seem like an inviting place to go shop.
    I second and third this! I am sure they will add some to soften the sea of parking between the buildings and May Ave.

Thread Information