Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayfair Shopping Center

Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

I found a thread "abandoned Mayfair West" on this site started 10/5/2014.

Here is an ad from 4/5/1968:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Combining info from a 1969 aerial and a Polk's Criss Cross Directory from the same year, these were the tenants at Mayfair:

I believe that structure west of Stones IGA was the bank drive thru.

4. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    I believe that structure west of Stones IGA was the bank drive thru.
    Yes. It was.

Katz was there before Stones was I believe.

6. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

Quote Originally Posted by clz46 View Post
    Katz was there before Stones was I believe.
    That one is taxing my memory. I remember going to that grocery with mom in 65, 66 maybe 67. I'm pretty sure it was Stones then. If it was something else before it was earlier than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    That one is taxing my memory. I remember going to that grocery with mom in 65, 66 maybe 67. I'm pretty sure it was Stones then. If it was something else before it was earlier than that.
    We have an old 1965 phone book. It shows Al's Thrif-T-Wise Super Mkt at 4901 N May.

I went there when I was in high school at NW Classen to apply for a job. I graduated in 1964. I didn't get the job.

When I wrote "there" I meant Katz.

2nd photo is Summer Moon; 3rd is the barbershop.

What kind of store was Katz? I remember the name and it being in Mayfair but don't recall the store type. Drug store maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    What kind of store was Katz? I remember the name and it being in Mayfair but don't recall the store type. Drug store maybe?
    This is rank speculation on my part…. but….since Katz was the downtown drug store where the OKC civil rights sit-in was held, I’m guessing it was a drug store chain that somehow was replaced by Langsham’s in the 1960s.

13. Default Re: Mayfair Shopping Center

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    This is rank speculation on my part…. but….since Katz was the downtown drug store where the OKC civil rights sit-in was held, I’m guessing it was a drug store chain that somehow was replaced by Langsham’s in the 1960s.
    I think this is right. Like an old version of Walgreens or Hydes.

They should put a "Coming Soon" banner up, not cool to advertise it if it won't be in existence for another couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    They should put a "Coming Soon" banner up, not cool to advertise it if it won't be in existence for another couple of months.
    There is a coming soon sign right next to this.

The operator of Summer Moon told me they are targeting June 4th as their opening date.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is a coming soon sign right next to this.
    Good deal, just didn't want to see any confusion and/or backlash you know how people are. Can't wait for Summer Moon to open.

Press release:

Summer Moon Coffee Opens Third Metro Oklahoma City Location at Mayfair Village
    The Austin, Texas-based cofee shop that has expanded to the OKC-area will now serve oak roasted cofee
    and Moon Milk® in the Mayfair neighborhood.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma—April 29, 2022—Summer Moon Coffee, home of famed oak roasted coffee and legendary sweet cream, announced today that it is hosting a Grand Opening Event on Saturday, June 4th at its newest coffee shop location in the Mayfair Village area of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

The event begins at 7:00 am and winds down at noon. The first 50 guests can expect an exclusive Summer Moon swag bag, while all guests will be treated to free oak roasted coffee and Moon Milk® samples (while supplies last). The new shop will also be offering a chance to win a year’s supply of coffee, along with exclusive discounts for all.

This will be the third Oklahoma City-area location for the family of coffee shops, reaching 38 locations in total. The new location features a drive-thru, free wifi, and outdoor seating.

Summer Moon roasts every batch of coffee beans in hand-built brick roasters, over seasoned Texas oak. The time-honored process used today was inspired by 19th-century coffee masters. They match their devotion to taste with the creation of a cozy, family atmosphere, made possible by friendly baristas. Their signature “Moon Milk®” sweet cream is one of their greatest attractions.

Husband-wife team Chad and Tori Arnold are the owners of the new store, which is located at 4711 N May Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73112 in the Mayfair Village area of Oklahoma City.

The Arnolds are working closely with the brand’s founders to ensure Summer Moon’s longstanding commitment to quality and craft emanates from their Oklahoma City-area shop. With the success of their Yukon and Edmond shops, and excitement around their upcoming Mayfair shop, Tori and Chad hope to open additional metro area locations in the near future. Summer Moon Mayfair will officially open Saturday, June 4th, with weekend hours of 7:00 am to 8:00 pm, and weekday hours of 6:00 am to 8:00pm. Open every day.

I had the coffee at a Summer Moon in Round Rock and I thought it was very solid.

Empire Slice Shop has filed building permits to take the restaurant space at the west end of the section that will contain Summer Moon and the relocated barber and tailor.

This will be the same counter-service model they have opened in Nichols Hills.

Their new space will also include that large covered patio area and will benefit from the big parking lot just to the west.

The new spaces for the barber and tailor are 98% complete (signs are already installed) and they both should be moving over soon, at which time the old gas station and attached retail space will be demolished for Domino C-store and car wash.

The last two photos are of the Summer Moon location.

The barber shop and tailor have made the move to their new spots next to Summer Moon and Empire and demolition equipment is onsite ready to take down the old service station and make room for Domino C-Store and carwash.

Dirt work has started where the Domino convenience store is planned to be located.

You can see the outline of both Domino C-store and its carwash to the east.

The Domino canopy will go where the old gas station is now located.

Summer Moon opens tomorrow (Saturday 6/4).

It's super nice space, as you can see. They also have their drive-thru ready to go.

Hours are 6AM to 8PM Monday-Friday; 7AM to 8PM Saturday and Sunday.

Thread Information