Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chicken Foot

Default Re: Chicken Foot

I forgot it opened today. I'll have to check it out sometime this week.

See, I think the name and branding is fantastic. I hear chicken foot and my first thought is the concept of using the entire bird. My mother grew up very poor. They very often didn't have enough to eat. Growing up in Santa Fe, their typical meal would be pinto beans and homemade tortillas. So, when they did get something like chicken, there was absolutely no waste. To this day when my Mom eats chicken on the bone, all that is left is a tiny little pile of bones that look like the relic remnants of a long-ago sacrificial ritual.

What comes from that experience is that if you can cook the feet to be edible, then imagine the things you can do with the actual good parts. Maybe I'm reading too much into that name, but that was my first thought when I heard it.

Plus that image of the chicken foot stamped all over the restaurant and menu is pretty cool visually as well. lol. I will be disappointed if there isn't a picture of Napoleon Dynamite somewhere in there with the caption, "Do the chickens have large talons?"

Wife mentioned going there tonight, but we'll see how she feels after working today. After looking at the menu and seeing Pete's review of the cinnamon rolls, I'm ready to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Slight threadjack here, sorry. Was at Chow's one time, thought about getting duck feet, never had them before, but they were served cold, I believe, so thought that might be weird and got duck tongues instead. Never had chicken feet - any recommendations on where to get them?
    Fungs serves chicken feet as part of their dim sum menu on weekends. My wife, an expert on chicken feet, said that Kwan's had the best chicken feet but that Fungs are also good, which is odd given that the two restaurants were owned by the same people.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Fungs serves chicken feet as part of their dim sum menu on weekends. My wife, an expert on chicken feet, said that Kwan's had the best chicken feet but that Fungs are also good, which is odd given that the two restaurants were owned by the same people.
    Thx for the tip, will check them out, have only really ever done dim sum once, might at some point in the post-apocalyptic future, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Thx for the tip, will check them out, have only really ever done dim sum once, might at some point in the post-apocalyptic future, though.
    They are serving now and we've been several times during the pandemic.

You can also order anything on the menu, if it's not on the carts making the rounds. The fried stuff, especially, only comes out periodically. If you like shrimp, I highly recommend the "shrimp balls". They are actually more rectangular in shape but they are amazing. The "crab ball" actually is round, with a crab claw sticking out of it. I think it's a mixture of shrimp & crab, coated and fried. Also delicious, but not quite as good as the shrimp ball.

I'm getting hungry just typing this.

Isn't Kwan's gone and since replaced by a seafood boil place?

They are serving now and we've been several times during the pandemic.

You can also order anything on the menu, if it's not on the carts making the rounds. The fried stuff, especially, only comes out periodically. If you like shrimp, I highly recommend the "shrimp balls". They are actually more rectangular in shape but they are amazing. The "crab ball" actually is round, with a crab claw sticking out of it. I think it's a mixture of shrimp & crab, coated and fried. Also delicious, but not quite as good as the shrimp ball.

I'm getting hungry just typing this.
    Yeah, we aren't eating inside restaurants yet and won't for a while, but thx for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Isn't Kwan's gone and since replaced by a seafood boil place?
    Unfortunately. Kwans Dim Sum was better than that from their home restaurant and it was much closer to us!

We did a take-out special from the seafood place during the height of the quarantine and it was really good. I've seen many positive reports on Facebook, as well.

Unfortunately. Kwans Dim Sum was better than that from their home restaurant and it was much closer to us!

We did a take-out special from the seafood place during the height of the quarantine and it was really good. I've seen many positive reports on Facebook, as well.
    That's good if it's the same group? I wanted kwans to be successful. Shame they weren't.

Just tried to go there and it was extremely busy so I left. I will try again later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just tried to go there and it was extremely busy so I left. I will try again later this week.
    Me too! Came in at ~7:30 and said they were hour and a half out. Even for to go

Fungs last day of Dim Sum service was September 6
    The sign they posted cited lack of staff to run the service. I suppose they have had to cut their staff. Hopefully they will have it again someday.

Well, we tried going last night but the line was out the door and not moving very quickly. So, we'll have to try it another time. I was glad to see it was busy and the whole area was fairly busy and vibrant.

I went today during 3-4pm and had the waffle chicken sliders with jalapeño cheddar stuffing and it was great!

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    Fungs last day of Dim Sum service was September 6
    The sign they posted cited lack of staff to run the service. I suppose they have had to cut their staff. Hopefully they will have it again someday.
    Did not know that! That's a loss for OKC.

Stopped by today for lunch. Ordered the whole bird and okie poutine. Really appreciated the swap of brown gravy for white. From what I remember, chicken is a step up from Eischens in that it's seasoned. Enjoyed the fries more than the chicken though.

I went yesterday at 2:30. It was deserted. Fried chicken had great flavor, but was very over cooked. The biscuits were again flavorful but cold. The okra was perfect. Probably the best fried okra I've ever had. I'll be back but I'd say 3/5 for my first visit.

Thread Information