Widgets Magazine

Thread: Best Meat Market.

Default Best Meat Market.

Look for a good meat market something that is not overpriced. I live over by the outlet mall. So Yukon or Cossey Meats in Mustang. I heard good things about Wheeler. I'm close to i-40 so i guess anywhere in the metro will do. Pork chops and roast are the two main meats i go for. Frozen Hamburger patties and Italian Beef would be nice to fine. I just been doing a lot of car side pick up for my grocery and meats isn't something you really can order with curb side nor would i really want too. There only 2 of use so don't need to really buy in bulk.

Default Re: Best Meat Market.

Kamp's at 7310 N Western and Rhett's at 9300 N May are two very good places. I like to buy things at Cusack's, 301 S. W. !2th but it's not a store, they are a meat supplier that will sell to the public. They provide steaks to most of the fine restaurants in the OKC area.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Kamp's at 7310 N Western and Rhett's at 9300 N May are two very good places. I like to buy things at Cusack's, 301 S. W. !2th but it's not a store, they are a meat supplier that will sell to the public. They provide steaks to most of the fine restaurants in the OKC area.
    C. T.
    +1 Kamps. Super consistent, high quality.

I like Cossey's in Mustang, I've made the 30 minute drive numerous times. Kamp's has good quality but the prices are higher. Rhett's is good but the selection is typically limited, they have good aged steaks but you will pay a premium. Wheeler's is cheaper but lately they have been selling out by the afternoon so go early if you want the best selection. They used to have pretty good sales on several cuts frequently but I have not seen anything on sale since covid hit. I've been buying most of my meat at Sams lately, I was not a member for a couple years until they made the membership basically free by giving out a $45 gift card when you pay the $45 membership fee online. Sam's prime grade rib roasts are decent for the price and make good prime rib or you can cut them up into steaks, vacuum seal or ziplock and put them in the freezer. We have been happy with the chuck roasts from Sam's as well. I cant tell a difference between the meat counter pork chops at Crest and a butcher. Same story with ground beef, grocery store stuff is usually fine. I like 85/15 for burgers, 90/10 is not juicy enough and 80/20 shrinks too much. For Italian beef, not sure about pre-made stuff, I make my own italian beef with a sirloin roast, season it and cook it at 275° in the oven for a few hours until it hits about 145° internally.

5. Default Re: Best Meat Market.

I shop at Artisan's Pride in Norman, Cossey's in Mustang, and will make the occasional stop at Wheeler's or Alex Rogers in OKC.... Happy with all of them. Just depends on what I'm looking for.

My favorite meat market is in Meunster, TX though.... Only place I know where I can find bone in roasts.

Aside from Kamp's which has a broader selection, Rhett's on May Ave. has the best steak from a butcher in OKC in my opinion. He also has several other cuts of meat and various meat types, but his specialty is his dry-aged meat.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Aside from Kamp's which has a broader selection, Rhett's on May Ave. has the best steak from a butcher in OKC in my opinion. He also has several other cuts of meat and various meat types, but his specialty is his dry-aged meat.
    Other than Rhett's, where else can you find dry-aged meat? I am new to purchasing meat from a butcher but am about to buy a nice grill for the backyard and look forward to learning. A nice dry-aged ribeye is my favorite cut at a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    Other than Rhett's, where else can you find dry-aged meat? I am new to purchasing meat from a butcher but am about to buy a nice grill for the backyard and look forward to learning. A nice dry-aged ribeye is my favorite cut at a restaurant.
    Uptown has some pretty good dry aged meat as well, and is generally cheaper than the local butcher shops.

Rhett's does not do dry aged beef, only wet aged. His stuff is too expensive for the quality, and he pushes his rub, wanting to dredge purchased steaks in it. I've not been impressed.

Uptown has good butchers and good meat. Homeland at Britton and May usually has dry aged available, certainly more often than Uptown.

However, Kamp's is the class of the Village/Nichols Hills area.

Sprouts will also do some custom cuts and grinds, especially if you can give them notice.

Thread Information