Widgets Magazine

Thread: Space Shot

1. Default Space Shot

I was really looking forward to the SpaceX launch today. Weather postponed it. Waiting for Saturday now.

2. Default Re: Space Shot

Yes me too. I am really looking forward to this one.

Default Re: Space Shot

Yup, brings out the kid in all of us. Good for current kids to dream as well.

Here’s the NASA live link for Sat, but most of us will be home and can watch there versus at work today and needed this link. But if you are not at a TV Sat here you go:

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

4. Default Re: Space Shot

I was watching on SpaceX. com at work. Saturday I’m sure I’ll be home.

I watched for a bit prior to the scrubbing. For us boomers, it almost had a little of that Walter Cronkite feel.

Looks like a 50/50 shot again today due to weather. They've already said that if today is scrubbed, they'll try again tomorrow, and weather is supposed to be better.

Here is a live feed. Wish I would have went to see it.

here we go!

I’m confused about the rocket fuel. I’ve been led to believe that Lithium Batteries are far superior to fossil fuels, in every respect. Why is the rocket using a kerosene based fuel?

it never gets old seeing the first stage land...

11. Default Re: Space Shot

Wow! Just wow. Sooooooooo much more advanced than the Apollo missions I watched as a kid/teenager. This is amazing. I haven’t been this on the edge of my seat in years. They peaked at about 17,000MPH. Yeah they were in space by then so G Forces aren’t an issue but 17,000!!!!!!

i deleted a bunch of off topic posts....

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    I’m confused about the rocket fuel. I’ve been led to believe that Lithium Batteries are far superior to fossil fuels, in every respect. Why is the rocket using a kerosene based fuel?
    at first blush this seems like a disingenuous question, but giving you the benefit of the doubt...

rockets are powered by thrust generated by the controlled combustion of propellants (in this case rp-1 with liquid oxygen)… it is the ejected mass of the controlled combustion that propels a rocket. with current technology, electric-powered propulsion (i.e. batteries) is unsuitable to achieve orbit.

This was great to watch, but *man*, I wish the Discovery commentators would know when to SHUT UP when Mission Control was saying something actually relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    This was great to watch, but *man*, I wish the Discovery commentators would know when to SHUT UP when Mission Control was saying something actually relevant.
    i was watching NBC's youtube feed and they literally cut away to a commentator with 1:30 left on the countdown clock! i quickly switched to somebody else.

16. Default Re: Space Shot

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I don't think they could all hear the Mission Control people.

Thread Information