Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Four Minneapolis officers fired after arrest of man who later died . . .

Default Re: Four Minneapolis officers fired after arrest of man who later died . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Oh look another reporter getting shot at(rubber bullets) by the police

https://twitter.com/chrisbishopl1c4/...182056453?s=21
    That was bad and needless. I was just annoyed by protestors interfering with reporters, while on the scene of the protests last night in downtown OKC. One, possibly drunk, even swiped a reporter's mike.

Default Re: Four Minneapolis officers fired after arrest of man who later died . . .

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    Please observe where these issues occur. In the place where one political party has been in power over 40 years always talking about doing stuff but never taking action. The political party needs a permanent underclass to vote for them. Who is oppressing who... the political party that has ruled these cities for a long time.
    Well there goes that theory.

3. Default Re: Four Minneapolis officers fired after arrest of man who later died . . .

There are still things being done by the police that shouldn't be happening. I don't understand those who are targeting the press in situations where they can clearly be identified as press and not rioters. Denver TV press has been hit more than once by gas balls and tear gas but they are in the middle of the action or were, on one occasion, broadcasting in the dark so they couldn't be identified.

Otherwise, I fully understand these police are being verbally abused, being gassed back, having fireworks, urine, food thrown at them, baited in multiple ways to get video of reactions and standing in full riot gear for hours. They are human and simply have points where they may lash out. All the training in the world won't stop occasional actions.

The "rioters" aren't going to Tweet the good work the police are doing but will only post the negative, will edit to make the police appear at their worst and support the rioter mentality.

Interesting we can excuse these officers for being human and lashing out after a few hours of supposed verbal abuse, getting gassed "back" (meaning, of course, they started the gassing), etc. and yet when an entire race of people is oppressed for centuries they should... just live it with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Interesting we can excuse these officers for being human and lashing out after a few hours of supposed verbal abuse, getting gassed "back" (meaning, of course, they started the gassing), etc. and yet when an entire race of people is oppressed for centuries they should... just live it with it?
    With many exceptions, the police have been a disgrace. Even in OKC, the police were very heavy handed in their approach when Saturday's protest was still happening at 23rd and Classen.

"Clearing the intersection for traffic" is not a valid reason to 1) Fire tear gas into a crowd, and 2) drive a police SUV straight into people in the intersection. I observed these actions live on KOCO. I'm sure there were many more.

It became immediately clear we have a new police chief from jump. Bill Citty would have had a different approach, in my opinion. I don't personally know Chief Gourley and he seems like a nice guy but I have read too many accounts from credible sources that things were really ratcheted up Saturday night at the outset by the police.

I was disturbed by the rioting as well. It was obvious that so many of the people doing the riotous actions were not affiliated with any legitimate protest movement. Many were white. I can only speculate if they were left-wing agitators, right-wing provocateurs, or simply people who are angry and took advantage of the opportunity to create mayhem. Indeed, the events that occurred Saturday night were not organized by Black Lives Matter or any other recognized group, which poses many questions.

OTOH, I was more supportive of OKCPD's actions on Sunday night. While I didn't care for the grotesque look of military checkpoints in our city, I would agree they showed restraint and didn't make matters worse, as I believe they did on Saturday. I feel similarly about the Oklahoma County Sheriffs, although I thought the tanks were not a good look.

If you live a financially comfortable, relaxing life with low stress, I would hope by now it is obvious to you that the status quo in our society is not equitable and must change. I found Sunday's Black Lives Matter demonstration and march to be an uplifting moment. And, since the chaotic events of last weekend, the real peaceful protest movement is now front and center, not the scattered hooligans and criminals who took advantage of the chaos.

This is a historic moment in the history of this country and in our own city. I was proud to watch Tuesday's city council meeting. Despite so many bad things happening, I see reason to be optimistic about our future because I believe we are on the cusp of major social change.

Thread Information