Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Four Minneapolis officers fired after arrest of man who later died . . .

Default Re: Four Minneapolis officers fired after arrest of man who later died . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Because eventually cities will come to realize that negligence toward an inadequately trained and vetted police force is costly.

If cities do not move to improve the situation and if our nation's justice systems do not begin to reign down hard on these types of crimes committed by policemen, then this is only going to get worse. Every Mayor of a large municipality (I don't know...100k+?) should be calling a press conference right now to discuss the steps they are taking to improve the training for their police force to ensure better protection for the black community. As we enter what looks to be a period of long economic unrest, people need to understand more people have nothing to lose and if this spins out of control, it's only going to serve to further damage the economy. (And from what I've seen, the Black community has been hit hardest by Covid and are undoubtedly feeling the biggest strain economically, so, double whammy)
    It makes it more understandable. I'd have to hope that there's a better way to get there than bring others in. I initially saw this more as a child that acts out when they don't get what they want. This helps.

Default Re: Four Minneapolis officers fired after arrest of man who later died . . .

The “protestors” have now taken over a police building. The police had no choice other than completely annihilate the invaders—which they could have done— or surrender. So the police officers chose the higher path and ran away. This is insanity.

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1...228432389?s=21

It appears yet another police precinct is being abandoned. What the fu€k. I’ve had my fair share of run ins with LEOs but I support our boys and girls in blue. God bless them and I hope no one gets hurt. 2020 has been a hell of a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Hell yeah, show that old handicapped white lady who’s boss! She must pay for the death of someone in a completely unrelated incident! Burn Target!

There is absolutely a completely valid reason to protest but idiots like this are really hurting the message and the media is eating it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Well...Here's a Data Set to consider:
    ha... i was looking through that exact site yesterday a few hours before seeing the message from ocpd. while i think it's the right move to get in front of the issue by issuing a statement, i agree that the actual track record doesn't perfectly match the ideal presented in the narrative.

as for the data you posted... poor westminster and greenville, you just condemned them to the top of a 'worst of list'... but is that greenville south carolina? north carolina? or mississippi? i'm assuming you're doing this in excel... i'd use a combination of the city and state to aggregate your results. : )

i also had some minor issues with the quality of the dataset (not to the point of casting doubt on any conclusion based on it), for example... they consider an individual 'unarmed' if they were "not holding any objects or weapons when killed." therefore, in at least one instance they counted a death as "unarmed" when the individual was reaching for his gun. they also included botham jean in their stats. not to diminish the tragedy of the incident, but it did not occur while the officer was on duty nor within the scope of the officer's duties and therefore probably should not have been included.

This is bizarre. A CNN crew was just arrested. https://twitter.com/newday/status/12...209030658?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This is bizarre. A CNN crew was just arrested. https://twitter.com/newday/status/12...209030658?s=21
    And they arrested the black reporter and his crew, while another CNN reporter (white) was in the same area, and they just accepted his credentials and left him alone.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/mi...crew-arrested/

And they still haven't arrested any of the officers for murdering George Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    And they arrested the black reporter and his crew, while another CNN reporter (white) was in the same area, and they just accepted his credentials and left him alone.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/mi...crew-arrested/

And they still haven't arrested any of the officers for murdering George Floyd.
    Yeah, I love the prosecutor's statement about how horrible it is, but they need to determine if the force was "excessive". Um, if it killed someone, it's excessive, full stop, period.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yeah, I love the prosecutor's statement about how horrible it is, but they need to determine if the force was "excessive". Um, if it killed someone, it's excessive, full stop, period.
    Sure, but that's not how lawyers talk, especially about a pending matter. Grey is their friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAnX...cWi0HqprXF09aE

Take this with a grain of salt, of course. But it wouldn't be the first time in history that damage was intentionally done by folks who are not protesting in order to deflect from a message.

This is fundamental to our justice system. The prosecutor needs to see all of the evidence and the complete investigation before making definitive statements. If he says something definitive now and during the course of the investigation, contrary evidence is found, that is a problem. Also, everyone is innocent until proven guilty no matter how bad it looks. It is important for the rule of law to be followed. We cannot disregard the constitutional protections entitled to everyone.

I am stating this in a general sense for any criminal investigation and criminal prosecution, so please don’t play gotcha and call me a racist.

Ah, the old "guilty until proven innocent" theory...

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    Are you implying Floyd is somehow still alive?

14. Default Re: Four Minneapolis officers fired after arrest of man who later died . . .

Derek Chauvin has been taken into custody.

https://kstp.com/news/arresting-offi...5743589/?cat=1

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    Yeah, can't be anything to it at all, they arrested and charged him with third-degree murder and manslaughter now, wonder how guilty he's going to be found?

Seriously, there's video of his actions which directly killed a man. Maybe in some twisted, perverted "blue lives matter" way, he'll get acquitted, but he'll still actually, in reality, be guilty of killing George Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Derek Chauvin has been taken into custody.

https://kstp.com/news/arresting-offi...5743589/?cat=1
    Hopefully that'll help some, but it's not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Hopefully that'll help some, but it's not enough.
    The other officers should be taken into custody too. They stood by and watched. I’m not a legal expert but there isn’t a charge that can be brought on them too? They could have stopped this.

Turns out he was placed in protective custody, not under arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Manslaughter my ass. If someone held their knee over your neck until you quit breathing, they murdered you.
    Right. Floyd gave fair warning when he said "I can't breathe". It's not worth arguing if he could really breathe, because the last person who said that died. It eventually appeared Floyd wasn't even able to try to say that he couldn't breathe. I'm glad the cop got charged with something and hopefully won't get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The other officers should be taken into custody too. They stood by and watched. I’m not a legal expert but there isn’t a charge that can be brought on them too? They could have stopped this.
    Really. It was as if they don't know the last time a man detained by cops said, "I can't breathe" he died. I assume cops didn't bother putting him in the cop car, because they were waiting on the ambulance. But after he said, "I can't breathe" he should have had the knee off him and set him up. As I understand it, he had lowered himself to the ground before the video started, but that's no reason to put a knee to his neck, whether done deliberately or due to health problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7y7t6171wp151.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	16127

Yeah, can't be anything to it at all, they arrested and charged him with third-degree murder and manslaughter now, wonder how guilty he's going to be found?

Seriously, there's video of his actions which directly killed a man. Maybe in some twisted, perverted "blue lives matter" way, he'll get acquitted, but he'll still actually, in reality, be guilty of killing George Floyd.
    I never said he was innocent, at all. But just assuming guilt based off incomplete video isn't fair. Also, will they even be able to have a jury trial? Everyone in that area has their opinions and biases. But you have to know that they have to toe the lines, so they don't risk hurting any case they have.

So just because there is an incomplete video with no context and the public is rioting he isn’t entitled to a trial by jury and to be presumed innocent until proven guilty???

I agree that he should be charged, should be found guilty and should be punished...but by a judge and jury after his day in court...not by the public.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    So just because there is an incomplete video with no context and the public is rioting he isn’t entitled to a trial by jury and to be presumed innocent until proven guilty???

I agree that he should be charged, should be found guilty and should be punished...but by a judge and jury after his day in court...not by the public.
    I don't think he's saying that. You're a smart man, we have all seen the video. We aren't going off of hearsay. Of course he will have his day in court, but I don't think it will necessarily end well for him. Crazier things have happened in the legal system, however. This case might have a high chance of a mistrial.

Thread Information