Widgets Magazine

Thread: COVID 5 years from now?

Default COVID 5 years from now?

I am weary of hearing such extremes regarding COVID-19. Either we're all going to die soon or COVID is all conspiracy. Once we get through this event I wonder what we'll learn? Will we say WHO and statisticians were far from accuracy with their predictions? Or will we be giving 110% credibly to the same? I wish I knew.

But the more I read it seems, SEEMS like WHO and statisticians could be a little inflated on their predictions. What will 5 years from now tells us I wonder?

Default Re: COVID 5 years from now?

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I am weary of hearing such extremes regarding COVID-19. Either we're all going to die soon or COVID is all conspiracy. Once we get through this event I wonder what we'll learn? Will we say WHO and statisticians were far from accuracy with their predictions? Or will we be giving 110% credibly to the same? I wish I knew.

But the more I read it seems, SEEMS like WHO and statisticians could be a little inflated on their predictions. What will 5 years from now tells us I wonder?
    Your predictions are just as good as anyone's.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    Your predictions are just as good as anyone's.
    But can you imagine the shake down if, IF WHO or statisticians are shown to be wrong? Goodness!?!!?

If we’re lucky, we’ll have a vaccine that is at least somewhat effective. There is so little known right now. We know people can make antibodies to the virus, but are they effective in preventing reinfection, how long will they persist? Will COVID mutate rapidly or slowly? Will we find a drug or combination of drugs that treats it or cures it? The first clue will be in getting data from infected people treated with plasma of recovered patients who have documented antibody production. If they improve significantly after treatment, as compared to control groups, that will suggest antibody production is effective and a vaccine feasible. There’s another type of treatment called monoclonal antibody. This is not a vaccine, per se, but the one we have for RSV, another RNA virus for which researchers have been unable to develop a vaccine, is 50-80% effective in preventing disease. It’s expensive and has to be given monthly, but one could likely be developed faster than a vaccine. I know several labs have isolated a monoclonal antibody and are starting testing. So my prediction is in 5 years we will have something available which is partially or completely effective in treating/preventing disease. Besides not overwhelming hospital facilities, new developments in therapy are another reason flattening the curve is so important. We’re just now seeing significant disease in some children without preexisting conditions, and if the old are considered disposable, a controversial topic I realize, I don’t know anyone who considers children so.

Also, what we don’t know enough about yet is long term complications of patients who survive, Death rate is only one factor. How many survivors will have long term lung, heart of kidney issues? How many young people will have stroke from this disease and how complete will their recovery be? It’s very frustrating to know so little.

Let's hope if there is a COVID-2?, that it isn't deadlier.

6. Default Re: COVID 5 years from now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Let's hope if there is a COVID-2?, that it isn't deadlier.
    And/or that -19 lit a fire under enough scientific a$$es that work will continue on treatments and vaccines. Even watching and keeping up with new variations. I keep reading about how there’s never been a COVID vaccine. Well, there’s never been the incentive to find one like there is now.

I heard on NPR today from a hospital administrator who laid off some 900 workers at his hospital last month in preparing for huge amounts of COVID patients arriving. The hospital was expecting several hundred COVID patients to occupy most of the hospital. So after laying off employees and cancelling many elective surgeries the hospital ended up with 12 COVID patients. 12! While that is great news I can't but wonder, with those type of statistics if some people might say, 'we've been duped' by some COVID predictions of overrun patients which never materialized.

8. Default Re: COVID 5 years from now?

I heard on NPR today from a hospital administrator who laid off some 900 workers at his hospital last month in preparing for huge amounts of COVID patients arriving.
    Our local hospitals cut shifts struggling to meet their budgets due to the lack of patients.

I heard on NPR today from a hospital administrator who laid off some 900 workers at his hospital last month in preparing for huge amounts of COVID patients arriving. The hospital was expecting several hundred COVID patients to occupy most of the hospital. So after laying off employees and cancelling many elective surgeries the hospital ended up with 12 COVID patients. 12! While that is great news I can't but wonder, with those type of statistics if some people might say, 'we've been duped' by some COVID predictions of overrun patients which never materialized.
    I think it’s definitely going to be a combination of the stay at home/social distancing orders working, the fact that the risks weren’t near as high for less dense parts of the country (aside from issues with meat packing plants), and that if you remove nursing homes/long term care facilities from the equation...the risk wasn’t as high as initially thought.

5 years from now, the socioeconomic divides will be chasms. The white collar jobs, the work from home jobs, remote work status on one side. Blue collar, side hustle, under the table wage slaves on the other. The middle ground will erode further as the lower SES will exist largely to serve the needs of the upper SES. We'll continue to pay for delivery of food, groceries, consumer goods, digital entertainment.

But what do you think would have happened if no concerts or sporting events were canceled, or anything closed during March? Probably overwhelmed hospitals in the city by late April. Would you have preferred that scene first be proven to happen before responding to the virus?

12. Default Re: COVID 5 years from now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    But what do you think would have happened if no concerts or sporting events were canceled, or anything closed during March? Probably overwhelmed hospitals in the city by late April. Would you have preferred that scene first be proven to happen before responding to the virus?
    This. And not everywhere is doing well. Look at Alabama right now.

Covid-25?

Thread Information