Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edmond Radio Station Early 1980's

Default Re: Edmond Radio Station Early 1980's

Thanks for this - This is great stuff! I live right near Kelly and 15th, and pass by that house all the time, and I've never known the history there, or what that tower was.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCexpat View Post
    Once again, having probs posting....perhaps because pause to think. ...
    Was wondering why you were having such a hard time posting, and now it's more clear. When you log on next time, check the box next to the username/password, it'll keep you logged in "forever", otherwise it times out in 10-15 minutes.

Thanks to Travellers for revealing the "secret handshake" <g>!

After Bill Payne sold KWHP, he began a radio mini-empire in eastern Oklahoma. It still exists, although Bill passed away in 2015. At the top of their website is an undated photo/actual location unknown showing KWHP vehicles, including the "bread truck" remote broadcast vehicle:

http://payneradiogroup.com/

It certainly wasn't as fancy as the WKY radio bus (??? trailer?) that they used Back In The Day. WKY would sit that up at the OPUBCO "pavillion" at the state fair as well at many other remote broadcasts. I drove the KWHP bread truck a few times to set up remote broadcasts in the Edmond area.

I had various techie work with the later owners of 97.7, including KTNT in the late 80's/early 90's. If anyone is interested I can babble <g> about that.

Did this station use the call letters KKLR for awhile ?

Yes, after Bill sold the station the new owners switched to KKLR in the 80's. I don't recall what music format they played. That company sold the station to another company....based in Houston IIRC....and they rebranded it as KTNT. Those owners had money problems, and Porter Davis (Davis Food company in OKC) bought it.

Food Truck Re: Edmond Radio Station Early 1980's

Quote Originally Posted by OKCexpat View Post

the "bread truck" remote broadcast vehicle:
    Dredge this up to say thanx for the link to the photo. My memories of the truck were it being a bit more "floral" in the mid 70's. Some locals also called it the Ice Cream Truck.
    The Station was not far from our house. I was acquainted with some of the people, but names escape me.
    I do remember the days of the "KWHP Mobile Disco". A party rental which wasn't much more than turntable, amp, speakers, a disco ball and some par cans. But hey everything was smaller back then right?

Thread Information