Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buc-ee's

Default Re: Buc-ee's

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Buc-ee's only has 6 locations outside the state of Texas: 2 in Florida, 2 in Georgia and 2 in Alabama.

Not having one (yet) in Oklahoma doesn't mean anything.
    Maybe. Just seems Oklahoma is more natural for expansion for a Texas company than Alabama. But you are right there are very few outside of Texas, so it means very little.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Or maybe Buc-ee's just has something against Oklahoma. Wouldn't be the first company, won't be the last.

Does seem weird, with 2 of the busiest interstates in America, not one in the state on either I-35 or I-40. Has to be something about Oklahoma. We fit every possible demo they could want.
    Don't forget I-44. Traffic from southern California comes to OKC on I-40 and gets on I-44. This is major because this is how traffic gets to points East and NE and New England, etc. Especially for big trucks. People don't realize how much comes through OKC. Just look on an atlas and see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Don't forget I-44. Traffic from southern California comes to OKC on I-40 and gets on I-44. This is major because this is how traffic gets to points East and NE and New England, etc. Especially for big trucks. People don't realize how much comes through OKC. Just look on an atlas and see it.
    Buc-ee’s does not allow semi trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Are they waiting on what's going to happen with the Riverwind I-35 interchange.
    Looks like ODOT selected the plan for the interchange. Hopefully Buc-ee’s likes it.

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/ne...est-in-mc.html

Maybe. Just seems Oklahoma is more natural for expansion for a Texas company than Alabama. But you are right there are very few outside of Texas, so it means very little.
    I have been to...A LOT of Buc-ee's.

Having said that, the absolute BUSIEST one I've ever seen is the Buc-ee's on I-10 and the Beach Express Highway. It is directly smack dab in between Mobile, Pensacola, and Gulf Shores and it is absolutely PACKED. I mean 10x as busy as any Buc-ee's I've been to. Absolute perfect location for it. That area gets waaaaaaay more tourist travel than ANY Buc-ee's in Oklahoma would ever get.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    Looks like ODOT selected the plan for the interchange. Hopefully Buc-ee’s likes it.

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/ne...est-in-mc.html
    Is this what Stitt changed the original plan to ?
    I guess the Chickasaw nation won't contribute as originally planned. They were going to pay 10M of the 17M total cost

Amarillo City Council approved incentives today for a Buc-ee’s location on I-40 at Airport Boulevard. Not as close to Oklahoma City as those in DFW, but it’ll be good to have for folks heading west.

Son of Buc-eel’s co-founder arrested on invasive recording charges. Cameras
    Found in bathrooms
    https://www.kxan.com/investigations/...rding-charges/

Perhaps this travel center called Wally’s is a solid alternative to a Buc-ee’s: www.wallys.com/real-estate/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    Amarillo City Council approved incentives today for a Buc-ee’s location on I-40 at Airport Boulevard. Not as close to Oklahoma City as those in DFW, but it’ll be good to have for folks heading west.
    Incentives? For a gas station?

What?

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post

What?
    Some folks consider Buc-ees a destination. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown12713 View Post
    Perhaps this travel center called Wally’s is a solid alternative to a Buc-ee’s: www.wallys.com/real-estate/
    Never heard of Wally's but haven't been up that way since the Cubs won the World Series. An article about the two:
    https://www.mysanantonio.com/busines...s-17279034.php

What?
    Have you been to one?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Have you been to one?
    Yes.

What?
    I'm guessing it is near the city limits and Amarillo thinks the sales tax revenue is worth the incentives in the long run. Especially if Buc-ees could build 1500 ft away and be outside the city

Amarillo's getting one. Buc-ees

Ponca City looked like it was getting one, it sadly looks like another false alarm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    Ponca City looked like it was getting one, it sadly looks like another false alarm.
    I’m from Ponca and appreciate it greatly, but there is absolutely no way they fit any criteria for one.

These rumors have become like big-foot sightings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I miss the like button

I’m from Ponca and appreciate it greatly, but there is absolutely no way they fit any criteria for one.

Ponca City is 20 minutes from any major interstate or turnpike, so Buc-ees there is exactly as you stated, it doesn't fit any of the criteria. However, Blackwell, Tonkawa, or Perry along I-35 seem at least probable, except for that the average Buc-ee's has 250-300 employees. That's a tall order for these smaller towns with a very already defined/limited population.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Ponca City is 20 minutes from any major interstate or turnpike, so Buc-ees there is exactly as you stated, it doesn't fit any of the criteria. However, Blackwell, Tonkawa, or Perry along I-35 seem at least probable, except for that the average Buc-ee's has 250-300 employees. That's a tall order for these smaller towns with a very already defined/limited population.
    If OKC doesn’t attract one with 1.5 million locals and 3 interstate highways crossing it, it’s absurd to think Blackwell, Tonkawa or Perry would be a location. Loves yes, Buckees no

If OKC doesn’t attract one with 1.5 million locals and 3 interstate highways crossing it, it’s absurd to think Blackwell, Tonkawa or Perry would be a location. Loves yes, Buckees no
    Love's built a new travel stop in Perry, and it's quite nice.

As for Buc-ee's building in a smaller town along the interstate, it's not unheard of...they have locations in towns like:

Crossville, TN, - Pop 12,000
    Madisonville, TX - Pop 4,500
    Bastrop, TX - Pop 10, 500
    Robertsdale, AL - Pop 7000

Yes, they have plenty of stores along highways in major metros too, but it's more strategic placement for where a person/family will stop on a road trip.

Does Buc-ee's get locals? Absolutely. But I would guess the majority of their sales (especially merchandise) comes from travelers passing through that stop there as a tourist destination on to their final stop.

Love's built a new travel stop in Perry, and it's quite nice.

As for Buc-ee's building in a smaller town along the interstate, it's not unheard of...they have locations in towns like:

Crossville, TN, - Pop 12,000
    Madisonville, TX - Pop 4,500
    Bastrop, TX - Pop 10, 500
    Robertsdale, AL - Pop 7000

Yes, they have plenty of stores along highways in major metros too, but it's more strategic placement for where a person/family will stop on a road trip.

Does Buc-ee's get locals? Absolutely. But I would guess the majority of their sales (especially merchandise) comes from travelers passing through that stop there as a tourist destination on to their final stop.
    You are missing ONE key thing: Ponca City isn't right on a major interstate. All of the cities you mentioned are right on an interstate, which matters a ton!

You are missing ONE key thing: Ponca City isn't right on a major interstate. All of the cities you mentioned are right on an interstate, which matters a ton!
    That ONE key thing was stated in post #95. Buc-ee's in a place like Ponca City, Enid, Stillwater etc would never make sense because of interstate access.

I-35 towns like Blackwell, Perry, or I-35 south like Ardmore, Pauls Valley could at least be probable for a location, along with somewhere in the metro of OKC.

Blog Entries

That ONE key thing was stated in post #95. Buc-ee's in a place like Ponca City, Enid, Stillwater etc would never make sense because of interstate access.

I-35 towns like Blackwell, Perry, or I-35 south like Ardmore, Pauls Valley could at least be probable for a location, along with somewhere in the metro of OKC.
    Wouldn’t call Blackwell or Perry “probable”. Ardmore a maybe because of big traffic counts.

Thread Information