Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Buc-ee's

Blog Entries

Default Re: Buc-ee's

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Its probably a matter of just so much competition they are willing to take on. Gas is gas unless you happen to want some briskit and beaver nuggets, too.
    There actually can be differences in the gas you buy.

2. Default Re: Buc-ee's

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    There actually can be differences in the gas you buy.
    Those sneaky Russians might have put ethanol in it!

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...momentum-with/

Would be embarrassing to have them go to Arkansas before Oklahoma. Having Springfield, Missouri get one before Oklahoma was tough, but this would be embarrassing.

I do not understand why they don’t have one between OKC and the Texas border.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Buc-ees may have that market cornered, and they have that segment with tremendous marketing to compliment the big store size. Amazing what a cartoon beaver has done for their brand recognition and loyalty.

Others like OnCue, QuikTrip, Loves could try, but I think it would be just a really big gas station, that just turns into another truck stop.

Also the staffing, fresh food offerings, number of pumps, and all the things that make a Buc-ee's challenger run would be quite the undertaking. I think their stores usually employee around 300 people?
    To keep it from turning into another truck stop, you have to do what Buc-ees did and not allow trucks.

They may have a corner on the market in a place like DFW but they certainly don't in the OKC metro. Yeah, it'd be a big undertaking but it can certainly be done. I watched a little doc on youtube about Buc-ees and the owner talked about when he first decided to do a big store. They weren't certain about. Buc-ees hasn't always been huge stores. It was a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    To keep it from turning into another truck stop, you have to do what Buc-ees did and not allow trucks.

They may have a corner on the market in a place like DFW but they certainly don't in the OKC metro. Yeah, it'd be a big undertaking but it can certainly be done. I watched a little doc on youtube about Buc-ees and the owner talked about when he first decided to do a big store. They weren't certain about. Buc-ees hasn't always been huge stores. It was a risk.
    I think part of what makes the Buc-ee's convenience store model successful is the marketing arm and that the store is just more than gas and snacks. The Buc-ee's logo reminds me a lot of the success of Eskimo Joe's and the popularity of the t-shirts and cups that everyone goes after. OnCue or QuikTrip could open a big store, but they would have to offer more than just snacks and quick eats.

Buc-ee's is essentially divided into four sections
    -a souvenir shop (beaver branded merchandise on every item imaginable)
    -gifts and collectibles (think mini Hobby Lobby with seasonal crafts, candles, etc)
    -regular convenience store with fountain drinks, snacks, treats.
    -speciality food items (BBQ, Jerky, Fudge, etc)

As for a location, the old Tanger site on I-44 could hold a Buc-ee's, but I don't think Stroud has enough of a work force to build there. As Plate Pay gets implemented, I would assume it could be easy off/easy on.

However, to get the work force needed, I think it higher likelihood to see a Buc-ee's being built along I-35 near Riverwind or I-40 and Frisco Rd west of Yukon. With one in Amarillo, TX and Springfield, MO, OKC is a good half way point to space out the brand, compared to Tulsa, and with I-35 and I-40, I would assume traffic counts would be higher than just I-44 and HWY 412 and 75 in Tulsa.

I wonder if somewhere along Reno across the river from OKANA is possible? There would certainly be a ton of work necessary to improve higher volume access and egress, but there does appear to be some undeveloped land in that area and locating it at the intersection of two major interstate highways seems like a pretty good plan.....

Screen Shot 2024-04-07 at 10.24.50 AM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I wonder if somewhere along Reno across the river from OKANA is possible? There would certainly be a ton of work necessary to improve higher volume access and egress, but there does appear to be some undeveloped land in that area and locating it at the intersection of two major interstate highways seems like a pretty good plan.....

Screen Shot 2024-04-07 at 10.24.50 AM.jpg
    I think this makes the most sense and have thought about this as well. That's the only perfect small stretch that carries both I40 and I35 traffic. OKC/ODOT would need to redo the MLK exit there at least extending the exit ramp or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I think this makes the most sense and have thought about this as well. That's the only perfect small stretch that carries both I40 and I35 traffic. OKC/ODOT would need to redo the MLK exit there at least extending the exit ramp or something.
    Too late. https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...s/70421348007/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Well I'd love to know what the story is about, but I don't pay for that Oklahoman trash.

A story from June 2023 that says E-Express paid over $5 million for the property, is building a modern travel stop, dog park and multiple restaurants

^^ TYSM.

For what its worth, Austin and San Antonio don't even have a Buccee's yet. Now they do have one about halfway between the two metros, which makes the most sense. Putting one between Yukon and El Reno makes the most sense for Oklahoma. Next to Riverwind would be a close second, and then I would say between OKC and Shawnee.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post

Buc-ees’ first stores were in and around Lake Jackson, TX, in the early ‘80’s, where I lived for many years. They were standard convenience stores with a few gas pumps. Their first prepared food offering was breakfast tacos provided by a local vendor, which were delicious by the way. It took about ten years before the business took off and the large stores followed shorty thereafter. It is named Buc-ees after the founder, whose nickname is Beaver.

From the very first time I heard rumors about a possible Buc ees location near Riverwind I questioned the location. I've been to many locations and one thing that is obvious with every location is traffic and lots of it (for obvious reasons). There just aren't many locations in OK that have enough nearby interstate and/or turnpike lanes to flow enough traffic to meet their needs. The area that's always seemed the most obvious for me, if it were to ever happen, would be 35/44/Turner area, around where QT is building.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bille View Post
    From the very first time I heard rumors about a possible Buc ees location near Riverwind I questioned the location. I've been to many locations and one thing that is obvious with every location is traffic and lots of it (for obvious reasons). There just aren't many locations in OK that have enough nearby interstate and/or turnpike lanes to flow enough traffic to meet their needs. The area that's always seemed the most obvious for me, if it were to ever happen, would be 35/44/Turner area, around where QT is building.
    How about I 35- I 40 on Reno across the river from Okana? Talk about a double draw to the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    How about I 35- I 40 on Reno across the river from Okana? Talk about a double draw to the area.
    Check out post #136.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Check out post #136.
    Oops. Hadn’t read the previous string very far. Sorry for being redundant.

Thread Information