Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hertz Bankruptcy

1. Default Re: Hertz going through another round of layoffs/outsourcing

Default Re: Hertz going through another round of layoffs/outsourcing

I believe the Res Center is still owned by Hertz since it's also their Business Recovery site, but yes, all the reservation agents have moved to the Data Center (not former yet, it's still their main data center ). They've been trying to sell the Res Center for years, but nobody wants it due to the computer room still being there.

3. Default Re: Hertz going through another round of layoffs/outsourcing

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I believe the Res Center is still owned by Hertz since it's also their Business Recovery site, but yes, all the reservation agents have moved to the Data Center (not former yet, it's still their main data center ). They've been trying to sell the Res Center for years, but nobody wants it due to the computer room still being there.
    LOL, I used "former Data Center" because I couldn't remember what they renamed it to. I think they call it something like "Technology Center" or something now.

BTW, to add some detail, one of my sources says that its a "full IT wipe-out", including telecomm, server systems support (Windows, Unix and i-Series), PC support, field systems support and project management. They are hoping that they get picked up by IBM. That article only mentions 60 available positions though...

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    LOL, I used "former Data Center" because I couldn't remember what they renamed it to. I think they call it something like "Technology Center" or something now.
    Ha, yeah, you're right, I forgot about that - it's officially the "Hertz Technology Center" or HTC, and the building on/near Memorial is the HAC ("Administrative"), and the Reservation Center is the HCCC ("Customer Care").
    Last edited by TheTravellers; 02-10-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Remembered the new Res Center name

Most, if not all the reservation agents were already working from home, so there weren't too many moved to the Technology Center (N. W. Expressway and MacArthur). As far as the reservation center, the computer room, UPS, and some communications backup for the Technology Center has probably interfered with any sale of the facility. I've had two friends from Hertz (one retired last year) but have only talked to one of them and she confirms everything that has been said here except for the move to Florida. Since most of IGS (IBM) employees already work from home, that might not be an issue. I'm waiting on a call from my other friend to see if he has learned anymore.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Only 1/3 of the first floor of building 1 had reservation agents in it and that was about 10 or 11 years ago. They were only there for about a year and then were removed. Hertz started letting the agents work from home after that and there was no longer need for the space. The internet was more responsible for the res agents demise than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    what kind of IT? Does it include programmers?
    They at least had database and programming done there around ten years ago. It was kind of hard to forget because the year I graduated college they had an IT recruiter at some event trying to talk to us, I had already gotten to know several dev people who had worked there just from organizations and functions around town, so was well aware they just had done a massive layoff of IT people like a week earlier, thus it was not a lead I put any effort in following up on.

Loves has been trying to buy the Reservation center for years. I'm sure once Hertz moves or outsource the Business Recovery site, it will be Loves that buys it. They also want the big parking lot across the drainage canal for land for a possible new warehouse.

I worked for Hertz/IBM from 2000-2014. I am shocked Hertz is drinking more of the IBM cool aid. I am so glad a I left IBM.

They only have 255 remaining?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    They only have 255 remaining?
    The article says they have over 2,000 remaining.

I happen to know a little bit about this and Hertz has been 'shuffling the deck' of its upper management in order to cut payroll. Benn going on for several years now.

The published article says "About 230 local information technology employees and 25 finance administration workers were told that their positions "may be impacted" as Hertz moves its day-to-day IT support to IBM, the company said.". I would agree with Bellaboo's estimate of local employees except I'm not sure that number includes reservation agents.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    The published article says "About 230 local information technology employees and 25 finance administration workers were told that their positions "may be impacted" as Hertz moves its day-to-day IT support to IBM, the company said.". I would agree with Bellaboo's estimate of local employees except I'm not sure that number includes reservation agents.
    C. T.
    I understand that Accounts Payable is involved as being outsourced, that may be the 25 finance employees. Also, if I understood correctly, some positions are being sent to Dublin Ireland. This should be under way in March, and there's been knowledge about this as far as 6 months back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    The article says they have over 2,000 remaining.

I happen to know a little bit about this and Hertz has been 'shuffling the deck' of its upper management in order to cut payroll. Benn going on for several years now.
    That sounds more like it.

15. Default Re: Hertz going through another round of layoffs/outsourcing

Did i misread or did it say they were hiring 200 agents? Where do they work if not on Pennsylvania ?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Did i misread or did it say they were hiring 200 agents? Where do they work if not on Pennsylvania ?
    MOB,
    Most agents are now working from their homes and have been for quite a while.
    C. T.

17. Default Re: Hertz going through another round of layoffs/outsourcing

MOB,
    Most agents are now working from their homes and have been for quite a while.
    C. T.
    While many reservation folk still do work from home, one whole floor is still used by reservation agents at the Technology Center.

Also, I wanted to post a correction to something I posted before. After speaking with additional contacts I've learned that, while moving IT operations was a one point under serious consideration, that plan has been put on hold at the least and likely killed altogether - for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    While many reservation folk still do work from home, one whole floor is still used by reservation agents at the Technology Center.

Also, I wanted to post a correction to something I posted before. After speaking with additional contacts I've learned that, while moving IT operations was a one point under serious consideration, that plan has been put on hold at the least and likely killed altogether - for the foreseeable future.
    Yep, to both of those. I believe the reservation agents at the HTC are mainly the video chat ones that you can call up on a kiosk, not your standard phone agents which WFH. The FL HQ was mainly meant for moving the NJ folks down there, and IT would stay in OKC, that's been the plan for as long as I was there, and figured it hadn't changed after I left a coupla years ago.

Default Hertz Administrative Center

In today's Daily Oklahoman they said that Hertz was moving out of the facility in the Quail Springs area.
    Does anyone have any idea where the people are going?
    C. T.

Default Re: Hertz Administrative Center

In today's Daily Oklahoman they said that Hertz was moving out of the facility in the Quail Springs area.
    C. T.
    Their HQ is in Estero, FL, so maybe there? Or over to the newly repainted and quite bright data center on the NW Expwy?

C. T.
    I had heard they may have already found a buyer for the Quail Springs property:

They have consolidated employees to their property on NW Expressway, which was not previously fully occupied:

The consolidation is scheduled for the first week of May. It was earlier scheduled for the first of April but was moved back.

Yep, moving to the worlds largest Waffle House.....smh

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    The consolidation is scheduled for the first week of May. It was earlier scheduled for the first of April but was moved back.

Yep, moving to the worlds largest Waffle House.....smh
    rotfl!!! especially because it's so true.

I checked with some friends and they told me that they were moving into the Hertz Technology Facility (NW Expressway and MacArthur). I'm amazed that they can consolidate three major facilities into one. The last time I was in the Quail Springs facility (HAC) all of their floors were full. Where will they fit into the original data center?
    C. T.

I checked with some friends and they told me that they were moving into the Hertz Technology Facility (NW Expressway and MacArthur). I'm amazed that they can consolidate three major facilities into one. The last time I was in the Quail Springs facility (HAC) all of their floors were full. Where will they fit into the original data center?
    C. T.
    Lots of reservation agents work from home, layoffs of both Hertz and IBM folks at the data center, and probably some moving of folks to FL means they'll all fit. When I left over 5 years ago, it was about 1/3 empty and more layoffs have happened since then.

Thread Information