Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hertz Bankruptcy

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hertz buys Dollar / Thrifty

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Well, Mark P. Frissora is Itilian to say the least......he also has a residence in Naples, just down the road....I'd think that had more play on the decision where to locate than anything......Believe me, it's his way or the highway, he cares absolutely nothing about or for the employees.
    I happen to know about a company that chose Ft. Smith over Chickasha not because of incentives, taxes or anything, but because the president refused to move to a town which sounded like Chicken Sh**, Oklahoma. True story. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I happen to know about a company that chose Ft. Smith over Chickasha not because of incentives, taxes or anything, but because the president refused to move to a town which sounded like Chicken Sh**, Oklahoma. True story. LOL
    So he picked Fart Smith instead? yea.

The below link states that Oklahoma was not interested in New Jersey and NJ employees were not interested in Oklahoma. Kinda insulting if you ask me. It sounds like Oklahoma did not want the HQ? Besides, beautiful sunny Florida with no state income tax is more "prestigious" and desirable than Oklahoma. A lot of east coast snobs think that Oklahoma is just an uncultured, backwater state. It is too bad Oklahoma cannot attract major headquarters.

Hertz move to Florida expected to cost Tulsa more than 100 jobs | Tulsa World

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    The below link states that Oklahoma was not interested in New Jersey and NJ employees were not interested in Oklahoma. Kinda insulting if you ask me. It sounds like Oklahoma did not want the HQ? Besides, beautiful sunny Florida with no state income tax is more "prestigious" and desirable than Oklahoma. A lot of east coast snobs think that Oklahoma is just an uncultured, backwater state. It is too bad Oklahoma cannot attract major headquarters.

It said the Oklahoma employees did not seem interested in moving to New Jersey and the New jersey employees did not seem too interested in moving to Oklahoma.

Whether or not that's true or corporate spin, I don't know. (Leaning towards spin to justify his choice of the Florida location)

No, what that article is saying is that the Tulsa employees to be relocated as part of the HQ consolidation were not interested in moving to New Jersey, and the people in the NJ Hertz HQ weren't into Oklahoma.

So, they tried to find a compromise for both groups in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    And, I hope nobody gets offended by this, bu I have never heard anyone say anything positive about living in SW Florida. At least relocating workers can get a really good deal on the multitude of foreclosed properties. Plus I'm sure the workers from Jersey would have no problem moving since the southern third of Florida is home to significant NYC Tri State diaspora. It will be like they never left!
    As some one who lived in Tampa and spent a fair amount of time in Ft Myers and Naples I can say this is 100% true. For 6 months out of the year I hope these employees don't like to dine out. The wait at an Applebees can be 2 hours.

It is somewhat uncultured and backwater, certainly compared to New York. It's getting better, but we're about to elect Sally Kern's husband to the Leg and we're generally known for having redneck nutcases speaking on our behalf nationally, so it's rather hard to shake that image.

Not true. I worked at Hertz for 23 years. There have been several that transferred from New York and New Jersey to Oklahoma. I know of only one that moved back...I know several that are still here. They love the weather compared to what they get back East.

Bellaboo,
    Two things, you mentioned they were leaving 400 in NJ and it's actually 1,500-2,000. The second thing is quite a few folks didn't want to come to OKC when they did in 1970/1971 but they did bring down a few managers that were instrumental in startup. There were no "worker bees", some supervisors but almost every department was managed by a "Yankee" as we used to call them. I was actually told that corporate headquarters would never come here and that was from a pretty reliable source, a vice president. Even my boss (a Brooklyn native) tried to get back there but was only there for two years when they transferred him back to OKC. You probably know that the Senior OKC VPs (Bob Bailey and Charles Schaffer) left OKC as soon as their tenure was over. When they retired they both headed South to Dallas.
    C. T.
    Not true. I worked at Hertz for 23 years. There have been several that transferred from New York and New Jersey to Oklahoma. I know of only one that moved back...I know several that are still here. They love the weather compared to what they get back East.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Bellaboo,
    Two things, you mentioned they were leaving 400 in NJ and it's actually 1,500-2,000. The second thing is quite a few folks didn't want to come to OKC when they did in 1970/1971 but they did bring down a few managers that were instrumental in startup. There were no "worker bees", some supervisors but almost every department was managed by a "Yankee" as we used to call them. I was actually told that corporate headquarters would never come here and that was from a pretty reliable source, a vice president. Even my boss (a Brooklyn native) tried to get back there but was only there for two years when they transferred him back to OKC. You probably know that the Senior OKC VPs (Bob Bailey and Charles Schaffer) left OKC as soon as their tenure was over. When they retired they both headed South to Dallas.
    C. T.
    CT,
    Never said they were leaving 400 in NJ, said they had 400 in the Parkridge HQ. I stated that 400 would move from NJ to Florida, but actually about 100 from Tulsa (D/T) and others from Sales to make a combined 700 would move to Florida.
    I was referring to the programmers who came and stayed....not wanting to name names, but I still keep in touch with the ones who came from NY/NJ and stayed.....Didn't Bob Bailey come up through the mail room ?

Bellaboo,
    No, that was Bailey's son. Bob Bailey was a highly respected VP that refused to go to New York, or Park Ridge. He was vp of the Southwest region and based in Dallas and accepted the position of "Czar" (as they called it at the time) of OKC or in other words, the first single vp in charge of all OKC centers, res center, data center, and then the administrative center. By the way, go back and read what you said, "I believe their Parkridge NJ HQ is only 3 stories tall, with about 400 employees.". That's why I said what I said. I suspect what they are leaving in Park Ridge is the IT group, Sales and Marketing, and possibly ER but that's speculation on my part. I agree about the IT staff remaining in OKC except for one of them. He could never adapt because his religious needs were not satisfied here. I'm sure you know who I am referring to. Of course, I'm senile and I can't remember his name.
    C. T.
    CT,
    Never said they were leaving 400 in NJ, said they had 400 in the Parkridge HQ. I stated that 400 would move from NJ to Florida, but actually about 100 from Tulsa (D/T) and others from Sales to make a combined 700 would move to Florida.
    I was referring to the programmers who came and stayed....not wanting to name names, but I still keep in touch with the ones who came from NY/NJ and stayed.....Didn't Bob Bailey come up through the mail room ?

MadMonk Guest

LOL, all I have to say about Mr. Bailey's son is that that apple fell very far from the tree.

Bellaboo,
    No, that was Bailey's son. Bob Bailey was a highly respected VP that refused to go to New York, or Park Ridge. He was vp of the Southwest region and based in Dallas and accepted the position of "Czar" (as they called it at the time) of OKC or in other words, the first single vp in charge of all OKC centers, res center, data center, and then the administrative center. By the way, go back and read what you said, "I believe their Parkridge NJ HQ is only 3 stories tall, with about 400 employees.". That's why I said what I said. I suspect what they are leaving in Park Ridge is the IT group, Sales and Marketing, and possibly ER but that's speculation on my part. I agree about the IT staff remaining in OKC except for one of them. He could never adapt because his religious needs were not satisfied here. I'm sure you know who I am referring to. Of course, I'm senile and I can't remember his name.

C. T.
    Joe C####n

and you are not senile.... you are still sharp. I'm not sure where the large numbers are coming from up there..... never remembering them having more than 500 or so in Parkridge. But after all the layoffs, who knows. Did you retire before Frissora showed up ?

Bellaboo

Bellaboo,
    Yes, I retired in 2004.
    C. T.
    Joe C####n

and you are not senile.... you are still sharp. I'm not sure where the large numbers are coming from up there..... never remembering them having more than 500 or so in Parkridge. But after all the layoffs, who knows. Did you retire before Frissora showed up ?

Bellaboo

MadMonk,
    You might be surprised, Bob Bailey was a high school graduate and never attended college. At least that's what I was told. But a good worker in the field and moved up the ladder to upper management pretty fast. Who knows what his son will do, if he has inherited the management skills.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    LOL, all I have to say about Mr. Bailey's son is that that apple fell very far from the tree.

MadMonk Guest

MadMonk,
    You might be surprised, Bob Bailey was a high school graduate and never attended college. At least that's what I was told. But a good worker in the field and moved up the ladder to upper management pretty fast. Who knows what his son will do, if he has inherited the management skills.
    C. T.
    I have a tremendous amount of respect for his dad. I won't go into details because he's not here to defend himself, but I worked with his son for several years so I feel I have a good idea what kind of man he is.

MadMonk,
    I only spoke to him in the hall when he was at the Data center on his courier run. I never had any direct dealing with him. And actually, I only had one direct (in his office) contact with Bob. He seemed like a pretty good person. Of course, as an IT person, I worked on projects that were of interest to him (or his people).
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I have a tremendous amount of respect for his dad. I won't go into details because he's not here to defend himself, but I worked with his son for several years so I feel I have a good idea what kind of man he is.

At the Hertz Town Hall meeting yesterday, Frissora spewed that Hertz got an incentive worth 85 million for the relocation......this number could just be some more of his bs to the employees......smoke and mirrors.

19. Default Hertz going through another round of layoffs/outsourcing

FYI, I just heard that Hertz employees were notified via conference call that they are going to be doing another round of outsourcing and/or layoffs. I feel bad for those poor souls who still remained there from the last time.

Default Re: Hertz going through another round of layoffs/outsourcing

Any info of locations and # of cuts? When is this happening?

21. Default Re: Hertz going through another round of layoffs/outsourcing

More details to come later this week. This is for the OKC IT operations.

Outsourcing will be to IBM - but no numbers yet. Sounds like it won't be a large number being retained with Hertz. Not sure how many will be picked up by IBM.

Timing will be end of March to end of May, depending on whether you are being retained or not.

what kind of IT? Does it include programmers?

23. Default Re: Hertz going through another round of layoffs/outsourcing

Across all departments as far as I'm aware, though I'm not sure how many programmers were left after the culling a few years back. Its been known for a while that they are planning on moving operations to their new Florida offices.

Used to work as an IBM contractor (UNIX sys admin) there in 2009-2013, so glad I was able to leave voluntarily (still know a few folks there). IBM has cut beyond the bone as far as security and sys admins go (for UNIX, mainframe, and iSeries), and in dev programming staff. There were quite a few Hertz folks left (a couple of UNIX sys admins, some Windoze sys admins, some PMs, DBAs, etc.), but sounds like this will take pretty much everybody in Hertz IT and move *some* of them to IBM (re-interviewing for their jobs, of course). Service from IBM was absolutely, horribly terrible (*tons* of missed SLAs, completely unknowledgeable offshore IT people, project/account managers with *no* technical experience, mountains of blue tape to get anything done) during my time there (despite us on-site low-level folks' best efforts), and I can't believe it's gotten any better, and can't believe that Hertz is actually going that way - "Please sir, may I have another (and another and another and another and another)".

Oh yeah, the move from NJ to FL of their HQ didn't really affect the IT operations, which are almost completely based in OKC.

25. Default Re: Hertz going through another round of layoffs/outsourcing

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

Oh yeah, the move from NJ to FL of their HQ didn't really affect the IT operations, which are almost completely based in OKC.
    Not yet anyway, but they ARE planning to move operations to Estero, FL. Management has already told the employees this. The Reservations Center is now empty (and may already be sold, I'm not sure), and those folks have been moved into the former Data Center. Within two years, possibly less, Hertz will no longer have any IT operations in OKC to speak of.

Thread Information