Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hertz Bankruptcy

Default Re: Hertz buys Dollar / Thrifty

If the Tulsa Chamber thinks they will only lose 30 people, reality hasn't set in yet. At best they keep about 30 in Tulsa.

MadMonk Guest

As a former Hertz employee, I could tell you loads about the veracity of whatever comes out of Frissora's mouth, and none of it is good. If those poor people in Tulsa aren't already looking for work elsewhere, they are fools.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    As a former Hertz employee, I could tell you loads about the veracity of whatever comes out of Frissora's mouth, and none of it is good. If those poor people in Tulsa aren't already looking for work elsewhere, they are fools.
    Ditto to all above.............Mark P Frissora is the most self loved egotistical Azz in the world.....

At one point, the best suite at the Waterford was not good enough for him, he refused to stay the night, so he demanded to be moved to the best suite at the Skirvin immediately. The local VP of operations had to go get him and take him immediately to a better hotel.

He demands to have a body guard........guess it makes him feel important.

5. Default Re: Hertz buys Dollar / Thrifty

Too bad Hertz was recognized as one of the 10 WORST places to work in America.

Worst Companies To Work For: Glassdoor.com's List (PHOTOS, POLL)

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Too bad Hertz was recognized as one of the 10 WORST places to work in America.

Worst Companies To Work For: Glassdoor.com's List (PHOTOS, POLL)
    For the first 20 years I was there, it wasn't bad. It was really good when Ford owned them, then went to hell in a handbasket when they were bought out in 2006 by a conglomerate of private equity firms.... that's when Frissora showed up and started destroying the company.

Sent to employees today:

Dear Dollar Thrifty & Hertz Colleagues,

Today we are announcing a major step towards integrating Hertz and Dollar Thrifty and paving the way for future growth. After careful consideration, we have concluded that the corporate headquarters for our combined organization will be located in Estero, Florida, which is adjacent to Fort Myers in Lee County. We will build a new HQ location with construction beginning a little later this year, with scheduled completion in approximately 18 months.

Our integration team has been hard at work since we announced the acquisition of Dollar Thrifty last November, exploring the best ways to integrate the two companies, establish a common culture, and achieve significant cost and revenue synergies. Merging our headquarters into one location in Florida enables us to achieve significant synergies and bring together Dollar Thrifty and Hertz HQ employees under one roof. The transition will take place over a two-year period, with a small number of employees relocating in the 4th quarter of 2013, another, larger wave in early 2014 to a temporary facility, and the remaining majority moving in the 4th quarter of 2014 or early 2015 when our new headquarters building is completed.

This move will affect headquarters employees in Park Ridge, New Jersey and Tulsa, Oklahoma. Approximately 150 employees who work in Park Ridge will remain in New Jersey. (Please note that this move does not affect almost 2,000 employees in the tri-state area who run our car and equipment rental businesses which we expect to grow, aggressively, in the years ahead.) We’ll also, as we have committed, maintain a presence in Tulsa for several non-headquarters functions, and Oklahoma City will continue to be our primary center for financial, customer service and IT support in North America.

I announced this news to affected employees this morning in Park Ridge and Tulsa, and a press release was recently sent to the media. Please read on to learn more about our selection of Florida and, most importantly, the impact of this decision on our employees.

Fitting that an auto-focused company would choose a very suburban location for a new HQ.

I wonder if the folks at the Chamber and Economic Development Trust were able to get any sort audience with the Hertz decision makers, and if so, how deeply we may have been considered.

Regardless, I'm quite sure this means more jobs for OKC.

HangryHippo Guest

Mystery tower candidate casualty #1.

I kid, I kid!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post

I kid, I kid!

I know you're kidding, but it wouldn't be much of a tower. I believe their Parkridge NJ HQ is only 3 stories tall, with about 400 employees. They have more of a corporate presence in OKC than in any other place in the world.

OKC has always provided the "back office" for Hertz (payroll, reservations, IT, etc.) and it certainly seems they will be simply merging those Dollar / Thrifty functions into the OKC operations.

They are clearly trying to be careful with the Tulsa situation but I can't imagine there will be much left there when they move the HQ jobs to Florida and operations stuff down the Turner Turnpike.

I just read that Hertz will build a 50 million dollar Tuscan style HQ on 40 acres near Ft Myers........

Also, they were given 19 million from the state and county as an incentive to move.

No big deal actually.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    No big deal actually.
    Are you being sarcastic...?

A $50 million building is nice but not super impressive.

Remember, the Devon Energy Center was around $750 million.

40 acres to house 400 employees. That should be a crime.

I kid, I kid!
    Well, about 2 years ago I predicted Hertz would move to OKC and acquire naming right to the OKC arena. It almost panned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    40 acres to house 400 employees. That should be a crime.
    I was more taken aback by the Tuscan style. Tuscan style for a company headquarters just sounds cheesy and unprofessional.

Forty acres does sound like a bit much though. But included in that $19MM relocation incentive was probably some property tax concessions, so who cares if you have more land than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I was more taken aback by the Tuscan style. Tuscan style for a company headquarters just sounds cheesy and unprofessional.

Forty acres does sound like a bit much though. But included in that $19MM relocation incentive was probably some property tax concessions, so who cares if you have more land than necessary.
    I would say the taxpayers in Lee County might care but have you seen the 10,000 miles of unused roads around Ft. Myers? If you haven't take a look on Google Earth.

HangryHippo Guest

I would say the taxpayers in Lee County might care but have you seen the 10,000 miles of unused roads around Ft. Myers? If you haven't take a look on Google Earth.
    You know, looking at Ft. Myers on Google Earth, I wonder when we're really going to have to start answering for all the planning gone wrong? At some point, this is going to become a nightmare to try and fix.

You know, looking at Ft. Myers on Google Earth, I wonder when we're really going to have to start answering for all the planning gone wrong? At some point, this is going to become a nightmare to try and fix.
    They do have a plan. They gave $19 million in public dollars for them to come use the roads that were built to spur growth, which was supposed to raise the money necessary to pay off the debt that was used to build the roads in the first place. Dumb-asses.

Maybe Hertz can rent some of the unused miles to store some of their fleet?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post

Well, Mark P. Frissora is Itilian to say the least......he also has a residence in Naples, just down the road....I'd think that had more play on the decision where to locate than anything......Believe me, it's his way or the highway, he cares absolutely nothing about or for the employees.

Well, Mark P. Frissora is Itilian to say the least......he also has a residence in Naples, just down the road....I'd think that had more play on the decision where to locate than anything......Believe me, it's his way or the highway, he cares absolutely nothing about or for the employees.
    This is probably accurate. For all the arguing about business incentives, taxes, you would be surprised at what ultimately factors into companies moving.

And, I hope nobody gets offended by this, bu I have never heard anyone say anything positive about living in SW Florida. At least relocating workers can get a really good deal on the multitude of foreclosed properties. Plus I'm sure the workers from Jersey would have no problem moving since the southern third of Florida is home to significant NYC Tri State diaspora. It will be like they never left!

This really stinks for Tulsa. They cannot hold onto anything. Like I said, companies locate for a variety of reasons, but it can't be good for the local psyche to lose companies to cities 6 times smaller.

MadMonk Guest

I can personally vouch for this.

Thread Information