Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 20 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla in Tulsa

Default Tesla in Tulsa

Would be pretty cool if OK/Tulsa could pull this off!

https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/..._medium=social

Default Re: Tesla in Tulsa

Bet it'll be Austin and this is just a ploy to get the two cities in a bidding war to get more incentives.

I fail to see the positives in Tulsa getting this, in terms of OKC. It would harm OKC a lot if this happened. It is one thing if OKC had more momentum on other fronts, like DFW does (they could not care less about Austin, given their own momentum). OKC is barely hanging on, so Tulsa getting Tesla would hurt OKC far, far more than OKC could recover from any time soon.

All that said, I think they pick Austin.

And it's not clear it's just Tulsa vs. Austin.

There may be more cities involved.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I fail to see the positives in Tulsa getting this, in terms of OKC. It would harm OKC a lot if this happened. It is one thing if OKC had more momentum on other fronts, like DFW does (they could not care less about Austin, given their own momentum). OKC is barely hanging on, so Tulsa getting Tesla would hurt OKC far, far more than OKC could recover from any time soon.

All that said, I think they pick Austin.
    Couldn't disagree more. It's not like they would be moving jobs from OKC to Tulsa. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Let's hope that Elon care more about property than income taxes, and that George kaiser has some extra land to donate. That may do the trick.

Also, would the no income tax even come into play here? I assume it helps greatly with corporate HQ, but when it comes to manufacturing plants do they necessarily make money?

It would be great for all involved if it was Tulsa. Okc, ok, Tulsa, rural, etc.

But it’s going to Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Bet it'll be Austin and this is just a ploy to get the two cities in a bidding war to get more incentives.
    Austin doesn’t have a port so at least that’s one major advantage to Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post

Also, would the no income tax even come into play here? I assume it helps greatly with corporate HQ, but when it comes to manufacturing plants do they necessarily make money?
    It comes into play for the workers, the same way school and education rankings are factored in, because it entices workers.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    Let's hope that Elon care more about property than income taxes, and that George kaiser has some extra land to donate. That may do the trick.

There is the Navistar bus plant at TIA that the city has publicly been trying to kick out because they haven’t been maintaining the facility. It has access to the airport and close proximity to the port. Not saying this is where they would go but it’s a possibility.

And don’t put it past George Kaiser to offer up some land or incentives of their own. They are committing hundreds of millions of dollars to Tulsa this would fall in their wheelhouse.

This would be insane. Obviously from bias I would prefer it in OKC but if it came to Tulsa I would be ecstatic!

HangryHippo Guest

This would be an incredible coup!

A billionaire successfully dealing with another billionaire for the public good would be unusually cool.

If it didn't convene Friday, the Oklahoma Legislature should hold off from adjourning in case it's needed to make an incentive deal with Tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    It would be great for all involved if it was Tulsa. Okc, ok, Tulsa, rural, etc.

But it’s going to Austin.
    I think Austin was in the running before for a Tesla plant, but lost.

The Dallas World article certainly made it seem like Austin was all but a lock and quoted Musk saying one would be going there regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Austin doesn’t have a port so at least that’s one major advantage to Tulsa
    Was coming here to say this. Also musk is a funky dude. Austin isn’t funky anymore, it’s pretty much in that stereotype booming city: Nashville Denver Austin.

Cost of living is very high in Austin.
    Local Austin politics maybe tired of the growth.

It’s probably Austin but Tulsa does have a few advantages.

Also George Kaiser. He’s shown he’ll do whatever it takes to better Tulsa. There’s a scenario where he tells Musk I’ll take a $2 billion position in Tesla if you come to Tulsa.

Blog Entries

Sounds like the old familiar "Quality of Life" issue that landed United in Indianapolis over Oklahoma City.

Oklahoma Quality Jobs program just may be the tipping point that brings Telsa to Tulsa.

Good luck, Tulsa...

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Was coming here to say this. Also musk is a funky dude. Austin isn’t funky anymore, it’s pretty much in that stereotype booming city: Nashville Denver Austin.

Cost of living is very high in Austin.
    Local Austin politics maybe tired of the growth.

It’s probably Austin but Tulsa does have a few advantages.
    Yep, those were my other points to some friends of mine as well. Elon could be the guy that puts Tulsa on the map...he isn’t going to do that for Austin. It would definitely serve his ego better to go to Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yep, those were my other points to some friends of mine as well. Elon could be the guy that puts Tulsa on the map...he isn’t going to do that for Austin. It would definitely serve his ego better to go to Tulsa.
    Well according to Rolling Stone Tulsa is the next Austin so Elon would just be getting ahead of the game https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-scene-938316/

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Well according to Rolling Stone Tulsa is the next Austin so Elon would just be getting ahead of the game https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-scene-938316/
    Which would literally fit his personality. That’s like who he is.

https://www.oregonlive.com/travel/20...pster_hub.html

In MY OPINION, Oklahomas poor educational system and even poorer health care system will ALWAYS keep great business from locating in the State. Back Office, call center, distribution yes but Oklahomas failure to improve in the two areas mentioned above keeps the State relegated to 3rd tier status. But people in Oklahoma love the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    In MY OPINION, Oklahomas poor educational system and even poorer health care system will ALWAYS keep great business from locating in the State. Back Office, call center, distribution yes but Oklahomas failure to improve in the two areas mentioned above keeps the State relegated to 3rd tier status. But people in Oklahoma love the status quo.
    I agree with you it’s a major detriment. But look no further than Tennessee to see how major private investments can change a state for the better. I see Oklahoma as the next Tennessee.

Tulsa will soon have a whole lot of former American Airlines maintenance and repair people unemployed, they will be highly motivated and should be worth considering for a Tesla Assembly Plant.

Tulsa needs the jobs. I hope they get it.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I’m just stunned you came here to post this

Thread Information