Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla in Tulsa

Default Re: Tesla in Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I’m just stunned you came here to post this
    I’ve never been more stunned by anything in my life...

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    In MY OPINION, Oklahomas poor educational system and even poorer health care system will ALWAYS keep great business from locating in the State. Back Office, call center, distribution yes but Oklahomas failure to improve in the two areas mentioned above keeps the State relegated to 3rd tier status. But people in Oklahoma love the status quo.
    If its so bad why does our population keep growing? Why no mass exodus?

I never understand why people rail about OK when its grown nicely. Those fast growth Texas cities have major growing pains all you hear externally is companies moving in. Overcrowded schools and roads. City services struggling to keep up. Lots of problems for those who live there.

What is this magical ideal growth number? Can anyone tell me what exact percent of growth is perfect for a city? I say if a person loves those cities better then move.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    If its so bad why does our population keep growing? Why no mass exodus?

I never understand why people rail about OK when its grown nicely. Those fast growth Texas cities have major growing pains all you hear externally is companies moving in. Overcrowded schools and roads. City services struggling to keep up. Lots of problems for those who live there.

What is this magical ideal growth number? Can anyone tell me what exact percent of growth is perfect for a city? I say if a person loves those cities better then move.
    Sir, the State of Oklahoma may well not get to 4M residents in 2020 census. Nevada, Utah, gaining on the State, Formally peer States like OR, KY CO leaving OK in their wake. Saying prosperity in another State is bad is simply accepting that you cannot compete. Oklahoma CONSISTENTLY ranks in the BOTTOM 1/3 in almost any meaningful economic and educational measure. You want to DEFEND mediocrity rather than demand improvement from elected officials. OK

I would be surprised to see Oklahoma ever get another auto plant after what happened with GM back in the 70s. They were promised all kinds of tax incentives if they located here, including not having to pay ad valorem tax. They built their plant and the school district sued. The deal was found to be unconstitutional. They did operate For a few years, but I think that deal tainted future tax incentive offers for large plants.

Sir, the State of Oklahoma may well not get to 4M residents in 2020 census. Nevada, Utah, gaining on the State, Formally peer States like OR, KY CO leaving OK in their wake. Saying prosperity in another State is bad is simply accepting that you cannot compete. Oklahoma CONSISTENTLY ranks in the BOTTOM 1/3 in almost any meaningful economic and educational measure. You want to DEFEND mediocrity rather than demand improvement from elected officials. OK
    Again, if its so bad here why are we growing?

What is this fixation with trying to compete with large states? All I read here is how everyone hates how we keep building in suburbs and expanding our service needs. What happens when we grow too fast.

Look at Paycom its a great homegrown company. Yet complaints about roads that can’t handle traffic. Too many apartments being built. Thats what happens when you grow fast.

Why do a few want all this influx of massive growth? I say if someone likes bigger cities like Dallas then move. The rest enjoy our city and can drive to Dallas on weekends and then leave all that hustle bustle behind in Sunday drive back.

Where does it stop? 3m? 4m? 10m? Whats the magic number? Some are never satisfied with what they have. I say enjoy what we have. If a company moves in great. If not great. Why do we have to keep up with the Jones? Why can’t we be happy with what we got? If your quality of life can only be served by living in bigger cities then move.

I happen to think OKC is a great city and place to live.

What is this fixation with trying to compete with large states? All I read here is how everyone hates how we keep building in suburbs and expanding our service needs. What happens when we grow too fast.

Look at Paycom its a great homegrown company. Yet complaints about roads that can’t handle traffic. Too many apartments being built. Thats what happens when you grow fast.

Why do a few want all this influx of massive growth? I say if someone likes bigger cities like Dallas then move. The rest enjoy our city and can drive to Dallas on weekends and then leave all that hustle bustle behind in Sunday drive back.

Where does it stop? 3m? 4m? 10m? Whats the magic number? Some are never satisfied with what they have. I say enjoy what we have. If a company moves in great. If not great. Why do we have to keep up with the Jones? Why can’t we be happy with what we got? If your quality of life can only be served by living in bigger cities then move.

That’s not what happens when you grow to fast, that’s what happens when a company chooses a stupid spot to build an office complex.

Not sure if serious. What do they say about idle hands? I feel like that applies to complacency (see 23rd street and our garbage financial state).

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    That’s not what happens when you grow to fast, that’s what happens when a company chooses a stupid spot to build an office complex.
    So now you get to decide where a company gets to build. I sense a trend. Only a few select citizens get to decide who moves in and where they can operate. They built in a wide open spot. Thats what growth does. They outgrew old location. Its a never ending cycle look at Dallas metro for proof.

Look, I’d love to have Tesla. Either here or Tulsa. But if they choose Texas its not an indictment about OK. Many factors go into decisions. It might be that its unrelated to the actual city in regards to quality of life. It could be that Texas is truck capital of world and new plant builds trucks and wants to capture that market. Building in Texas captures more of those truck owners who can say its built in their state. Its not saying OK is bad.

I am not one needing to worry about who carries a bigger stick. Population does nothing for me. I like my quality of life here. I’d rather we focus on existing citizens than worry about getting new ones. Our MAPS projects have been hugely positive (except one imo) and I take pride in new park and CC and OMNI. I take pride we can support our NBA team. I love we can drive anywhere in metro in 20 minutes or so whereas Dallas you have to plan all your drives around traffic.

Getting or not getting Tesla would not change my life. Its not gloom and doom if they choose Texas.

9. Default Re: Tesla in Tulsa

Getting or not getting Tesla would not change my life. Its not gloom and doom if they choose Texas.
    Unfortunately, there are certain posters on here that are gloom and doom, no maater what. Everyone goes through times they are unhappy about something, but with some, virtually everything posted runs from negative connotation to crticism of something or someone, to just outright negativity - even if the point is valid - it starts to point to a real problem.

One poster here, just seems to go from thread to thread posting the same negativity if he feel it applies. Whether the thread is a good news thing or a potential massive positive, here comes Mr. Gloom and Doom to throw mud on it all. It's gone on for years and the mud is always the same.

Really, making a valid point once or twice is fine. When the posts all become virtual copies and pastes over and over and over again, the person really needs to step back and examine themselves a bit. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is great but chronic negativity is damaging and tiring , especially when the message is always the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Unfortunately, there are certain posters on here that are gloom and doom, no maater what. Everyone goes through times they are unhappy about something, but with some, virtually everything posted runs from negative connotation to crticism of something or someone, to just outright negativity - even if the point is valid - it starts to point to a real problem.

One poster here, just seems to go from thread to thread posting the same negativity if he feel it applies. Whether the thread is a good news thing or a potential massive positive, here comes Mr. Gloom and Doom to throw mud on it all. It's gone on for years and the mud is always the same.

Really, making a valid point once or twice is fine. When the posts all become virtual copies and pastes over and over and over again, the person really needs to step back and examine themselves a bit. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is great but chronic negativity is damaging and tiring , especially when the message is always the same.
    Yup. We got Costco call center and I even seen some complaints in that thread. We will never be the utopia some have planned out in their head. I choose to enjoy what we do have. Am proud to say I live in OKC

You did not dispute my facts about Oklahoma’s poor educational and health outcomes. Are you Ok with Oklahoma being overall a poor , undereducated and unhealthy State? If so, good for you.

In MY OPINION, Oklahomas poor educational system and even poorer health care system will ALWAYS keep great business from locating in the State. Back Office, call center, distribution yes but Oklahomas failure to improve in the two areas mentioned above keeps the State relegated to 3rd tier status. But people in Oklahoma love the status quo.
    Life is how you make it. Too many Oklahomans indulge in bad health habits, such as smoking, lack of exercise, overeating and drinking, leading to less than good health. I don't see why newcomers considering coming to Oklahoma should be concerned about the state's poor health statistics, if they're already disciplined to practicing good health habits. However, I suppose employers might wonder if they will get more sick calls.

Much of Oklahoma is on its way out, not growing. I suspect rural counties drag Oklahoma down a lot. The constant decline there can't reflect well in the quality of life statistics. Education can't be will supported and maintained, due to declining property values and people moving out. Some counties have very little in the way of medical care. Some of the rural legislators think of ways to discourage Oklahoma from advancing, in other words, keeping the status quo. Fortunately, their bills are not always successful.

Once again, plains states, like Kansas and Nebraska support education better than Oklahoma with a higher quality of life, all have Right to Work, yet don't attract major industry, either. At least Tesla isn't looking at Kansas or Nebraska. I wonder how important it is to Musk for his assembly plant to be close to an airport with non stop international destinations.

Best States to live in ranked by Wallet Hub:
    Oklahoma: 42
    Kansas: 30
    Nebraska: 19

Best States to live in ranked by U. S. News & World Report:
    Oklahoma: 43
    Kansas: 22
    Nebraska: 9

It's hard to measure, but I have always wondered if it is truly an issue with the level of service (health & education) or more a matter of lack of interest in utilization of those services.

You did not dispute my facts about Oklahoma’s poor educational and health outcomes. Are you Ok with Oklahoma being overall a poor , undereducated and unhealthy State? If so, good for you.
    No, you tried to tie that to why Tesla would never pick us

Yep, I did. Might happen, hope it happens, but I challenge anyone to bet the house on it, I wouldn’t. Hope I’m wrong

Yep, I did. Might happen, hope it happens, but I challenge anyone to bet the house on it, I wouldn’t. Hope I’m wrong
    I’m wondering why you hate Oklahoma so much? It’s actually pretty nice, especially the better parts of OKC.

As much as I like Oklahoma, I had to move away out of State due to dismal, economic lack of good paying jobs. I would love for Oklahoma to win this economic coup, however I strongly believe Austin will be the city that wins! DC Sooner has a lot of valid points about Oklahoma.

So now you get to decide where a company gets to build. I sense a trend. Only a few select citizens get to decide who moves in and where they can operate. They built in a wide open spot. Thats what growth does. They outgrew old location. Its a never ending cycle look at Dallas metro for proof.

Look, I’d love to have Tesla. Either here or Tulsa. But if they choose Texas its not an indictment about OK. Many factors go into decisions. It might be that its unrelated to the actual city in regards to quality of life. It could be that Texas is truck capital of world and new plant builds trucks and wants to capture that market. Building in Texas captures more of those truck owners who can say its built in their state. Its not saying OK is bad.

I am not one needing to worry about who carries a bigger stick. Population does nothing for me. I like my quality of life here. I’d rather we focus on existing citizens than worry about getting new ones. Our MAPS projects have been hugely positive (except one imo) and I take pride in new park and CC and OMNI. I take pride we can support our NBA team. I love we can drive anywhere in metro in 20 minutes or so whereas Dallas you have to plan all your drives around traffic.

lol no I don’t decide where companies build. But I do get a say when they beg for millions of our tax dollars to mitigate their poor decision.

So adding more people fixes these problems? Or would it be better to work harder fixing problems without more burdened citizens?

Our state needs this. Hope we get it.

So adding more people fixes these problems? Or would it be better to work harder fixing problems without more burdened citizens?
    Sir,
    I do not know what you are talking about. My initial comments referred to Education and Health as reasons large Companies may hesitate to locate (plants, corporate offices, R&D facilities etc) in the State. These types of large corporations tend to locate in places where education, health care and quality of life are ranked high. I just have always wondered WHY the leadership of the State knowing this fails to aggressively address these deficiencies by placing emphasis on these areas rather than guns and other agendas that do not promote quality of life unless you think being able to walk around with a pistol on your hip or M-16 on your shoulder like creates jobs. and WHY whatever your politics, people continue to VOTE blindly for one party or the other when that party fails to address the systemic issues that keep the citizens of State poor, uneductated, and economically lacking relative to other States.

My comment had nothing to do with population, (yours did). Go back and look.

22. Default Re: Tesla in Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    As much as I like Oklahoma, I had to move away out of State due to dismal, economic lack of good paying jobs. I would love for Oklahoma to win this economic coup, however I strongly believe Austin will be the city that wins! DC Sooner has a lot of valid points about Oklahoma.
    I think it's not disputed he does - what's being criticized, at least by me, is his seemingly desperate need to repeat the same points, on multiple threads, over, and over and over again. The post in question here is a virtual copy and paste of multiple other posts he has made.

There comes a point where it can be said, OK dc, we`ve got it. Now come up with a resolution, come up with alternatives or be quiet and get out of the way.

Sir,
    I do not know what you are talking about. My initial comments referred to Education and Health as reasons large Companies may hesitate to locate (plants, corporate offices, R&D facilities etc) in the State. These types of large corporations tend to locate in places where education, health care and quality of life are ranked high. I just have always wondered WHY the leadership of the State knowing this fails to aggressively address these deficiencies by placing emphasis on these areas rather than guns and other agendas that do not promote quality of life unless you think being able to walk around with a pistol on your hip or M-16 on your shoulder like creates jobs. and WHY whatever your politics, people continue to VOTE blindly for one party or the other when that party fails to address the systemic issues that keep the citizens of State poor, uneductated, and economically lacking relative to other States.

My comment had nothing to do with population, (yours did). Go back and look.
    What does guns have to do with education?

And the theme of your post is to get more “better” companies to move here. Why does it matter who moves here? If we are growing (population) it must mean quality of life is still good.

Your post was just another in a long line of OK bashing, inferring we have a bad quality of life. And my retort is if its so bad go to these other states and enjoy this better quality of life.

What does guns have to do with education?

And the theme of your post is to get more “better” companies to move here. Why does it matter who moves here? If we are growing (population) it must mean quality of life is still good.

Your post was just another in a long line of OK bashing, inferring we have a bad quality of life. And my retort is if its so bad go to these other states and enjoy this better quality of life.
    Ok Guy, without being disrespectful, I will say your response lacks for me even a modicum of reasonable argument, but Ok

This factory would be larger than the one in California, and it employs more than 10,000 people...

That's NUTS

Thread Information