Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Tesla in Tulsa

Default Re: Tesla in Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    TU can't really be in this conversation, since they are private.
    More than private (almost all the Ivy League schools, Duke, Stanford, etc. are not public) is that Tulsa U. is quite small. Not much bigger than Oral Roberts or OCU.

2. Default Re: Tesla in Tulsa

That chart really makes it look like college enrollment is down from 2015 to 2020. Not good for a lot of the smaller schools.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    That chart really makes it look like college enrollment is down from 2015 to 2020. Not good for a lot of the smaller schools.
    It's down everywhere, pretty much. Not just Oklahoma, either.

Blog Entries

I could swear UCO had ~25K when I attended in the 90s

Yeah I’m forgetting where I read about it but several articles have been written over the last few years about declining attendance issues at small schools around the country. I want to say that several people have predicted that something like 30% of small-midsized schools are at risk of closing over the next 20 years (I didn’t look it up so the numbers could be completely off but the point was that a significant number of colleges face a very uncertain not to distance future). I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that Covid is going to compound and hasten funding/attendance issues for those those schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    More than private (almost all the Ivy League schools, Duke, Stanford, etc. are not public) is that Tulsa U. is quite small. Not much bigger than Oral Roberts or OCU.

Where did you find this chart, Pete?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Where did you find this chart, Pete?
    https://www.stateuniversity.com/rank...l_rank/OK.html

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    TU can't really be in this conversation, since they are private. But yes, OSU needs to step their game up.
    Yet more rich people need to stand up to fund more new academic buildings at OSU. The new McKnight Center was a big step up for attracting top grade performance arts, but it's not rocket science.

At least OU-Norman fans can take great heart that OSU-Stillwater is no longer threatening to out enroll it. I would venture to guess that agriculture classes are down at OSU, reflecting the decline of rural Oklahoma.

A great college town should be able to attract major industries. Stillwater hasn't been able to do that, aside from Asco Aerospace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    At least OU-Norman fans can take great heart that OSU-Stillwater is no longer threatening to out enroll it. I would venture to guess that agriculture classes are down at OSU, reflecting the decline of rural Oklahoma.

A great college town should be able to attract major industries. Stillwater hasn't been able to do that, aside from Asco.
    Which is why OSU should focus more on growing its urban campus in Tulsa along with research facilities and health sciences programs at OSUHSC. Tulsa is a key part of elevating OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Correct OU is the flagship university in Oklahoma. TU is the highest ranked university in the state at #121 (per US News & World Report) though OU is not far behind at #132. OSU is way behind at #192.
    I've said this a lot of time on this board, but using these rankings like this (e.g., this program is #121 and this one is #192) is silly. It's amazing how if you give people a number, they just believe it. The criteria for these rankings are have little do with educational quality.

(if you're wondering how I know, I run a program that ranks in the top 15 in the country... the methodology is neither valid nor reliable.)

13. Default Re: Tesla in Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Nothing in Olympia I can think of, but Georgia Tech certainly is a Flagship University.
    Working with my kid's schooling didn't rub off. I forgot Olympia's the capitol, not Seattle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

TU is a completely different school than ORU or OCU.

Endowments:
    ORU $37.8 Million
    OCU $95 Million
    TU $1.114 Billion

ORU and OCU are the kinds of schools that may well not survive Covid.

Endowments:
    ORU $37.8 Million
    OCU $95 Million
    TU $1.114 Billion

I would think OCU is pretty safe given its niche in Oklahoma higher education. Not a school with massive donors, but it is visible nationally in the Performing Arts community - I suppose it could become a Conservatory for Performing Arts?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I would think OCU is pretty safe given its niche in Oklahoma higher education. Not a school with massive donors, but it is visible nationally in the Performing Arts community - I suppose it could become a Conservatory for Performing Arts?
    Exactly. It's pretty well regarded in the PA, it'll be fine. You'd be surprised how many kids come from all over for the PA program.

While the endowment and enrollment are lower so is their operating expenses.

Endowments:
    ORU $37.8 Million
    OCU $95 Million
    TU $1.114 Billion

TU is also well-known for its engineering programs, unfortunately it is just not a very large school. If it could be closer to size to Vanderbilt or TCU it would have a much larger impact as an economic driver in Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    TU is also well-known for its engineering programs, unfortunately it is just not a very large school. If it could be closer to size to Vanderbilt or TCU it would have a much larger impact as an economic driver in Tulsa
    TU has also taken some hits in recent years.
    https://tucollegian.org/pprc-announc...partment-cuts/

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    TU has also taken some hits in recent years.
    https://tucollegian.org/pprc-announc...partment-cuts/
    TU's education program also lost accreditation, which is really bad. Basically, all their education students had to transfer. It's the only school I've ever heard of that happening too.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    TU's education program also lost accreditation, which is really bad. Basically, all their education students had to transfer. It's the only school I've ever heard of that happening too.
    For education, or in general? I thought ORU lost accreditation in some programs.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Holy crap, what??? How do you let that happen as a...plot twist...higher-education institution?

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Exactly. It's pretty well regarded in the PA, it'll be fine. You'd be surprised how many kids come from all over for the PA program.

While the endowment and enrollment are lower so is their operating expenses.
    As a Bass School of Music alum I can tell you, at least when I was there 10-15 years ago, there were considerably more non-Oklahomans than Oklahomans in the Music and Dance programs. In the music school there was also a good contingent of international students. I doubt that has changed.

Endowments:
    ORU $37.8 Million
    OCU $95 Million
    TU $1.114 Billion

I think the Greens would step in with a few $100MM if money gets tight at ORU.

Endowments:
    ORU $37.8 Million
    OCU $95 Million
    TU $1.114 Billion

TU must be blowing through that endowment.
    https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/tu...mpression=true

Blog Entries

The issue isn’t TU vs OCU, it is TU vs U of Texas at over $4 Billion, and other private schools nearby. If yo add OU at $1.8 Billion, OSU at $750, TU at $1.4 B, AND THROW IN OCU, it still doesn’t equal just the Univ of Texas, which is smaller than T A&M.

Thread Information