Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man detains black delivery driver in OKC

Default Man detains black delivery driver in OKC

https://kfor.com/news/caught-on-came...hoa-president/

Ashford Hills is just north of Kilpatrick Turnpike and east of Boulevard/Eastern.

Most would identify this area as Edmond but it's technically OKC; it's a gated community and the homeowner had provided the gate code for the delivery.

This has been picked up by several national news services.

Default Re: Man detains black delivery driver in OKC

Another great reason to not live in an HOA - tyrannical control of your property and guests by your neighbors. No thanks. If I have a new refrigerator delivered it is none of the business of my neighbors.

Idiots!

I'm white, male, I'm in my 60's now, about 5 years ago I was working for a home health care pharmacy. I had to go to a patients home, sort of out in the country but not the sticks, east of Tinker and near where I-40 & I-240 split.

I couldn't find the address, figured I'd gone past it (ding dong head people too chicken **** to put out house numbers because "we like our privacy--idiots).

I turned onto a road that looked like it had 5 or 6 houses on it so that I could turn around and go back the other way. Suddenly somebody in a jacked up diesel truck towing a big utility trailer roared up and blocked me. The damn fool redneck jumped out, ran up to my door with a baseball bat in his hand and started yelling at me asking why I was there. I told him I was just trying to turn around so I could find my patients home. The moron demanded to know their name, I replied I couldn't tell him because of HIPPA laws, he had no idea what that meant.

He kept yelling at me and demanding to know why I was there. I rolled my window down a bit and POINTED to the big sign on my drivers door and asked him if he could read it. It was the name of a very large company well know, and I guarantee you'd know the name, and said again I was going to the patients house but I couldn't find it.

Moron redneck took another step closer to my door, I put my cell phone camera on him and told him I was recording him and he came one step closer with that bat in his hand that I would be forced to defend myself.

I mean, this guy blew his top, totally out of control of himself.

After a bit more yelling, he got back in his truck, yelled at me that they had too many breakins and burglaries and said he never wanted to see me again Then he moved his truck and trailer so that I was able to leave and GTFO of there.

So, what I'm saying is, even though I'm white and into the geezer stage, I can understand and appreciate what this young black man went through. He did the right thing, he stayed in the vehicle, kept his cool, and recorded the event, even doing a live facebook airing. Good for him.

I think, in my opinion, was that he should have said he was making a delivery there and was done and leaving.

It sounds like this David Stewart guy doesn’t like to party.

I saw this on TLO and still can't comprehend how ridiculous this whole event is. What a complete embarrassment. Massive props to the delivery driver for maintaining his cool.

6. Default Re: Man detains black delivery driver in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Another great reason to not live in an HOA - tyrannical control of your property and guests by your neighbors. No thanks. If I have a new refrigerator delivered it is none of the business of my neighbors.
    Exactly! This is the main reason we decided not to buy a home in Heritage Hills. Their HOA is legendary for it's annoyance. We only picked the neighborhood in Edmond that we did because their HOA is voluntary and has zero power over home owners. I often don't play well with others, so an active HOA was out of the question.

7. Default Re: Man detains black delivery driver in OKC

I realize for many, the simple fact the nosey neighbor (being kind) is white and delivery driver is black means this is race motivated. I personally don't know that it was. I think this neighbor would have been equally as jerky to a white driver too. I've just encountered far too many "HOA Presidents" or officers that would get up into anyone's business with little provocation. I commend the driver for not making this blatantly about race. But I totally understand if he did/does think it is about race, as I can't see this specifically from his perspective. I just think Dave Stewart is probably a consummate ass regardless of your race.

No wonder Annie Lennox doesn't hang with him anymore.
    As far as to whether or not is was about race, I wonder if any caucasian delivery drivers will step forward to claim this idiot accosted them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I realize for many, the simple fact the nosey neighbor (being kind) is white and delivery driver is black means this is race motivated. I personally don't know that it was. I think this neighbor would have been equally as jerky to a white driver too. I've just encountered far too many "HOA Presidents" or officers that would get up into anyone's business with little provocation. I commend the driver for not making this blatantly about race. But I totally understand if he did/does think it is about race, as I can't see this specifically from his perspective. I just think Dave Stewart is probably a consummate ass regardless of your race.
    I think this is fair take. I think race had something to do with it, but not the full story. It definitely, (IMO), stoked the flames a bit. If he was the president of the HOA, why didn't he just access the gate logs (I am sure they are electronically stored somehow), call the homeowner and say "hey, I noticed a suspicious vehicle, a big truck, in the neighborhood that used your code to get in - is everything okay?". That would have ended things without any fuss or drama. And would have kept this asshat out of the national news.

I also think the "security" of gated HOA's is theater at best. When I was a Lyft/Uber driver I was amazed at how easy it was to get into gated neighborhoods, with or without a code. One very affluent gated HOA in N OKC has a security guard posted, I rolled my window down and said "I drive for Uber, I'm picking a passenger up at 1234 N. Default Suburban Brooke Rd." he nodded and opened the gate and returned to his movie on his iPad. I could have used Google Maps to find any address in the neighborhood and had just said it and he wouldn't have been the wiser. It's comical to me to think gates and keypads will keep crooks out. Anyone with any bit of street smarts (which most criminals possess) can bypass it, or flat out lie to let someone else in. You could get a job working at a pizza delivery joint, and by the end of the week have a dozen different access codes to various neighborhoods. I used to drive in Norman quite a bit, and I knew the codes to several apartment complexes. It's a false sense of security and not worth the confrontation.

I wouldn’t call it a false sense of security as I’m sure there is some layer of security added but yeah if someone wants to get in they are getting in.

This situation makes me mad. I’m glad these guys are getting shamed. They should admit their mistake, be a man, and come out an apologize. It’s sucks when you work your ass off like the guy who was blocked only have people make your life harder.

Been in that Neighborhood many times. They just need a Guard Shack with security. Not Johnny Laws out stopping everybody.
    Last edited by brian72; 05-14-2020 at 09:34 PM. Reason: update

13. Default Re: Man detains black delivery driver in OKC

There's nothing wrong with hoa's in general. If tyrannical control is given to tyrannical people who try to enforce the guidelines to tyrannical ends, then you've got problems. The one l live in is very easy to work with as long as you aren't a maverick. If you are, you don't need to be in a HOA.

14. Default Re: Man detains black delivery driver in OKC

I think this is fair take. I think race had something to do with it, but not the full story. It definitely, (IMO), stoked the flames a bit. If he was the president of the HOA, why didn't he just access the gate logs (I am sure they are electronically stored somehow), call the homeowner and say "hey, I noticed a suspicious vehicle, a big truck, in the neighborhood that used your code to get in - is everything okay?". That would have ended things without any fuss or drama. And would have kept this asshat out of the national news.
    To me, the most bizarre part is that the driver (regardless of race) wasn't in some old pickup slowly driving about acting suspicious. He was in uniform driving a traditional delivery truck. I'd imagine the people living in that area get appliances, big screen TV's and gaudy furniture delivered all the time. I wonder if this guy has a history of overstepping and using the HOA as validation.

The most he should have done IMO was take a photo of the truck and tag as it left. If someone reported a crime, he could say "Hey, I took a pic of an unmarked delivery truck early today, take a look." Done.

15. Default Re: Man detains black delivery driver in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    There's nothing wrong with hoa's in general. If tyrannical control is given to tyrannical people who try to enforce the guidelines to tyrannical ends, then you've got problems. The one l live in is very easy to work with as long as you aren't a maverick. If you are, you don't need to be in a HOA.

Problem I've encountered is that usually the most reasonable and sane within the neighborhood don't want to be on the HOA. When we were looking at home near downtown, we looked over the bylaws and we'd have to pay and submit a request, just to paint or change our shutters. No thank you. Our current HOA, is voluntary and simply tries to keep the street lights paid for and on, entrances kept up and built a park to keep any additional sex offenders out.

16. Default Re: Man detains black delivery driver in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Jackson View Post
    It sounds like this David Stewart guy doesn’t like to party.
    Or even talk. KFOR tried his number and it had been disconnected.
    They went to his house and he wouldn't come to the door. But then if I were such an ass I wouldn’t either.

Not sure what kind of damages might be available for the Driver, but that sure seems like a textbook case of False Imprisonment.

... and built a park to keep any additional sex offenders out.
    How does building a park help keep out sex offenders?

Quote Originally Posted by RustytheBailiff View Post
    And why "additional"? Are there already some there?

20. Default Re: Man detains black delivery driver in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by RustytheBailiff View Post
    Sex offenders cannot reside within so many feet of a public park.

And why "additional"? Are there already some there?
    Yep.

-----

Douglas Dwayne Davis moved into our Edmond neighborhood awhile back. He was featured in this article in the Oklahoman (2/12/2019) 10 Oklahoma Men Listed in Database of Baptist Sex Abusers.

After he moved in, members of the neighborhood pooled their money and built a public park so that no additional sex offenders could move into the area. We call it Pedofile Park. He has kids of his own. I often wonder if he tells them "the neighbors built this park because daddy is a child rapist."

I've caught him violating his probation more than once, but Edmond PD won't do anything about it. He was falsely reporting his employer. He was self employed as a remodeler and going into homes with kids. His inlaws are well-to-do and now technically own the company he works for and list him as contact labor. Since then we've photographed him around kids. Edmond PD still has not acted.

Sex offenders cannot reside within so many feet of a public park.

Yep.

-----

Douglas Dwayne Davis moved into our Edmond neighborhood awhile back. He was featured in this article in the Oklahoman (2/12/2019) 10 Oklahoma Men Listed in Database of Baptist Sex Abusers.

After he moved in, members of the neighborhood pooled their money and built a public park so that no additional sex offenders could move into the area. We call it Pedofile Park. He has kids of his own. I often wonder if he tells them "the neighbors built this park because daddy is a child rapist."

I've caught him violating his probation more than once, but Edmond PD won't do anything about it. He was falsely reporting his employer. He was self employed as a remodeler and going into homes with kids. His inlaws are well-to-do and now technically own the company he works for and list him as contact labor. Since then we've photographed him around kids. Edmond PD still has not acted.
    Ugh, not good. Interesting about the parks, did not know that, but makes sense, thx.

Yeah, Thanks for the info on the park.

These are the same nimbys who threw a fit about Warren Theatres Moving in down the street.

The definitely are a bunch of better than you kind of people, and I’m sure he had never been so offended that some lowly delivery guy didn’t bow down to his authority.

24. Default Re: Man detains black delivery driver in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Jackson View Post
    Not sure what kind of damages might be available for the Driver, but that sure seems like a textbook case of False Imprisonment.
    Several lawyers I was with the other day were actually discussing this case and all thought there is very little chance he'd be charged with a crime and all said they'd love to take it to court and felt they'd win if representing the home owner in criminal court. They felt the chances of a civil filing were much better, and only because lawyers are already encouraging the driver to file. I personally think, that while his conduct is embarrassing, out of line and says a lot about him as a person, the law is still broad enough and his actions and words restrained enough that I imagine the law still gives him protection and at least an arguable defense in criminal or civil court. Would be interesting to see play out. *I'm so ready for the court to be open again to the public.

Once again Oklahoma is in the national news for ignorant, racist behavior. What is the deal with some Oklahomans? lack of education, no christian values, poverty? just what is the Psyche of the populous of a State that seems to PRIDE ITSELF on utter ignorance? No wonder, the State is labeled as it is in so many negative terms. Really disheartening to a native seeing this from a distance, Wow just Wow

Thread Information