Widgets Magazine

Thread: The Well

Default The Well

Press release:

Cleveland County Finalizes Plans for Healthy Living Block
    The Well to open 2021 in Norman

NORMAN, OK – Cleveland County has finalized plans for The Well, the healthy living block located in the county seat of Norman. Included in the county’s 5-year master plan approved in 2017, The Well will bring together physical and virtual health and wellness resources to residents and visitors of Cleveland County. The new facility, in partnership with the Cleveland County Health Department, will be the hub for activities and services, including online and in-person fitness classes, cooking demonstrations, Norman Regional Health System clinic and other wellness resources and events. The Well will also be the new home of the Norman Farm Market.

Planned to open to the public in 2021, The Well will be located near the Cleveland County courthouse near downtown. The area will feature green, walkable space for outdoor events and a new, 2-story community building with 14,000 square feet of classroom and meeting space. People will also be able to visit The Well virtually, accessing many events and classes through the website. Additionally, the public will have access to a wide variety of health services and professionals at The Well.

“Our vision for The Well and the reason we included it in the master plan is to make residents of Cleveland County the healthiest and happiest they can be,” says Darry Stacy, Cleveland County Commissioner. “The COVID-19 pandemic reminds us that health and continued learning are vitally important to the wellbeing of our community and families. The Well will be a healthy destination for individuals, families and communities no matter if they visit in person or from their homes.”

The Well recently unveiled a logo and new website that offers more information about the area and hints at what visitors can expect.

“Visitors to the website can see a site map of what’s planned for the block, renderings of the building and recent news,” Stacy said. “People can also sign-up to receive updates on The Well’s progress and businesses and services that will be available. We will be adding more to the website as The Well continues to grow and develop so visitors can join in on the journey of The Well.”

In 2022 the Norman Farm Market, currently located at the Cleveland County Fairgrounds, will relocate to The Well. The expanded space will be able to accommodate additional vendors while continuing to provide visitors and shoppers quality local produce and goods.

The Well is a new concept for Oklahoma, an all-in-one destination where people can shop, learn, play and exercise to improve their health. It will be a resource and a destination for all Cleveland County residents and visitors regardless of income, background or geography.

“When the community approved the plan for The Well, we travelled the country looking at places that are successful at bringing together health resources, community classes and events that everyone wants to be a part of,” says Melody Bays, executive director of The Well. “And during the COVID-19 outbreak, we’ve learned a lot about the different ways people need to access information and connect with their community. We’re confident we’ve brought the best ideas and technology to Cleveland County to benefit the health of our residents and visitors.”

The Well is scheduled to begin construction on the community building in July 2020. The facility is designed by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris architects and will be built by GE Johnson Construction.

For more information, visit thewellok.org.

2. Default Re: The Well

That is not the correct location. The press release said it would be located near the Cleveland County Court House.

Default Re: The Well

trying to figure out where this is going to go... maybe i just missed it, but neither the press release nor the site say exactly where. i assume it will take over one of the surface lots to the southwest of the courthouse on the other side of the tracks? my only concern there is that it will make parking for people with business at the courthouse even more of a pain than it already is. while i like the idea of moving the farmer's market to a more central location, it's a bit hard for me to believe that this location will offer 'expanded space' when compared to what is available at the county fairgrounds.

^

I believe that's correct.

Working on getting a site plan.

Here you go.

The site is a vacant lot on the west side of the railroad tracks, roughly across from the train station.

ahh... gotcha, thanks.

looks like it will take up half of the closest public lot to the courthouse. the buildings on the northern part of the lot were demolished sometime between 2017 and 2019.

Well.jpg

This looks great. Very exciting.

Between this and the potential for the NOUN boutique hotel, Norman is finally getting some nice projects.

City Council voted to postpone the NOUN approval last night.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ereid View Post
    City Council voted to postpone the NOUN approval last night.
    Yep. I shared the link in the OU Projects thread as I couldn't find a specific thread for that project.

Oh wow, what a nice looking project. Another great design from AHMM.

Why they postpone for? It looks really nice and it will be a nice addition to Norman

They broke ground on this project yesterday.

This and the NOUN hotel are great infill projects for central Norman. More of these please.

Central Norman and Edmond are both doing some great urban infill these days.

With the fencing up and dirt moving, it's a lot easier to get a sense of scale for this project. This is going to have a huge impact. Living only a few blocks over myself and casually asking around to neighbors and friends, NOBODY in Norman is aware of this project. I think it's going to surprise a lot of people.

Thread Information