Widgets Magazine

Thread: Surveyor for home lot

Default Surveyor for home lot

I'm considering putting in a pool and some new fencing.

If I hired a surveyor to come out and plot the exact boundaries of my lot, would they also be able to do the same for utility easements?

Also, would appreciate recommendations of a good surveyor who would do this work.

Default Re: Surveyor for home lot

I will probably piggy back off of Pete's thread as I'm considering building a pretty expansive addition to the back of my house:

Would this type of person also know the boundaries of where construction can be built in relation to the lot lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm considering putting in a pool and some new fencing.

If I hired a surveyor to come out and plot the exact boundaries of my lot, would they also be able to do the same for utility easements?

Also, would appreciate recommendations of a good surveyor who would do this work.
    In my experience, yes. The last time I hired one I called the people who were on the survey required by the title company when I bought the place, to come back out and survey for construction. They said that was a good move, since they had set pins they were comfortable with and thus did not have to start again from the corner of the section or some other established beginning point. I don’t remember who that was. 17 years ago, commercial property.

As a side note, the lot markings are clearly off on the county assessor site.

When I enable the satellite photo overlay, the lot boundaries are pretty far off, cutting through houses.

This is who I used. Pretty small project, 1/2 acre in OKC. http://www.halesurvey.com

6. Default Re: Surveyor for home lot

I was pleased with this company's work for me about 5 years ago: https://www.geomapsurveying.com/

Hale did the lot survey when we bought our house a few years ago, just the basic one. I decided to get a more accurate one with pins set so I could make sure the fences we're putting in were in the right place, and we used GeoMap for that (Hale never responded to their "contact me" on their webpage, so I searched and found Celebrator's recommendation from a while ago and they promptly responded). GeoMap was fairly inexpensive (a few hundred, I think), they located one existing pin and set two others, took a few hours because our lots aren't straight and they had to do some triangulation and walking around the neighborhood.

I would second Hale and associates. You just need a basic "mortgage inspection report" that will give you both dimensions of the lot as well as any easements- I just looked at a recent one for a client and it was $165.00.

Thread Information