Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Accountability

Default COVID-19 Accountability

I've been a long time observer on OKCTalk and love the info provided. Finally joined a few weeks ago to have ability to post. Through all the virus-related talk, I have yet to see an accountability thread. I think our local establishments' behavior is a direct reflection of their respect and care for our citizens' well-being.

Coming from a healthcare provider that just arrived at St. Anthony's this evening (helping treat and minimize pandemic) is frustration that Kong's in mid-town is having one hell of a cinco-de-drinko party with no apparent capacity or separation requirements. They even set up an outdoor bar. I'd post photos and videos if I knew how....

I've been trying to call in a to-go order with no luck.... is this a bar or restaurant??

Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

Idiots. All of them. And shame on the owner in particular.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CamSpradl...50938993381376

Are they classified as a restaurant, somehow? And if so, aren't there supposed to be distancing requirements? So much for Holt's slow and safe reopening...

on their facebook page, the owner is defending kong's actions by citing the state guideline that says restaurants can be open at 50% capacity indoors and at regular capacity for outdoor or patio seating. i can't find the document for myself but this is the screenshot kong's posted from their facebook page (2nd bullet point):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	95924026_3407071225973036_8147947745315913728_n.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	16038

edit: found it... https://coronavirus.health.ok.gov/si...inal-eng-2.pdf

looks like the state updated the document and it now says that outdoor areas may be at regular capacity as long as 6ft social distancing is maintained.

Yes, classified as a restaurant which means they have to demonstrate the generation of at least 50% of their revenue from food. Remember the Kong's in Norman that was shut down for not being able to document that was true?

In asking around among restaurant operators in OKC, almost all said they thought it was too early to open and would be taking a wait and see approach. Several said something like, "We know Kong's will pack them in and it will serve like a canary in the coal mine."

People are waiting for Kong's? I mean... wow.

I would think it is time for Holt to verify that this establishment is in compliance with the 50% of revenue from food requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    People are waiting for Kong's? I mean... wow.
    They have a big following.

Just wait until Fan Club (might end up being called 3rd Base) opens across the street; same ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They have a big following.

Just wait until Fan Club (might end up being called 3rd Base) opens across the street; same ownership.
    I guess these places keep the riff raff from other establishments.

Yes. There is a need for these types of places. Makes the nicer places that much better. There is no way they make 50% of their revenue from food though.

Quote Originally Posted by 7OUT View Post
    I've been a long time observer on OKCTalk and love the info provided. Finally joined a few weeks ago to have ability to post. Through all the virus-related talk, I have yet to see an accountability thread. I think our local establishments' behavior is a direct reflection of their respect and care for our citizens' well-being.

Coming from a healthcare provider that just arrived at St. Anthony's this evening (helping treat and minimize pandemic) is frustration that Kong's in mid-town is having one hell of a cinco-de-drinko party with no apparent capacity or separation requirements. They even set up an outdoor bar. I'd post photos and videos if I knew how....

I've been trying to call in a to-go order with no luck.... is this a bar or restaurant??
    So this is the Snitches thread? Or the upright citizen's brigade thread?

The important thing is that people decided to show up in large numbers at Kong's. For better or worse, a large percentage of the population has decided they are done with the lockdowns. This is just the most obvious things we can see. I'm sure people are visiting family more and letting their kids play with other children.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, classified as a restaurant which means they have to demonstrate the generation of at least 50% of their revenue from food. Remember the Kong's in Norman that was shut down for not being able to document that was true?

In asking around among restaurant operators in OKC, almost all said they thought it was too early to open and would be taking a wait and see approach. Several said something like, "We know Kong's will pack them in and it will serve like a canary in the coal mine."
    2 things

1 norman has a separate review process for the bar restaurant thing 50% thing (maybe only for campus corner ) then the state the able commission or OKC does

2 .. the biggest restaurant operator in the Metro decided it was time to open up all of their restaurants HSRG

Highly doubt you or anybody you know will come into contact with anybody these folks associate with, so what's it matter? You gonna start hanging with the Kong's crowd? If they were breaking the rules, well they were wrong, but the holier than thou crowd is mighty supercilious on these pages.

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastGator View Post
    Highly doubt you or anybody you know will come into contact with anybody these folks associate with, so what's it matter? You gonna start hanging with the Kong's crowd? If they were breaking the rules, well they were wrong, but the holier than thou crowd is mighty supercilious on these pages.
    The things with viruses, is they don't stop spreading after they've been past to one person. So you don't need direct contact with just these people. Your contact with these people could come after 5-6 similar transmissions.

It's just careless behavior. And frankly, your posting demeanor is rotten.

I guess we will surely see OKC's number's blowing up in the next few days then. If not, I guess the overly cautious crowd will recede a bit and stop trying to force their view of appropriate behavior on everyone else right?

right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I would think it is time for Holt to verify that this establishment is in compliance with the 50% of revenue from food requirement.
    You want a city that is already bleeding money to spend and devote more resources because 1 stupid bar is breaking the rules? I have no doubt that 99.5% of restaurants are being ridiculously careful. Kongs has always been fast and loose with the rules (see their Norman location). But most I know are following the rules (heck, most locations aren't even opening, even though they can).

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    okc wants no part of doing this at any restaurant nor does the able commission

(lots and lots of restaurants would have to close down and many that no one thinks of as bars at all)

Quote Originally Posted by Greggo71 View Post
    I guess we will surely see OKC's number's blowing up in the next few days then. If not, I guess the overly cautious crowd will recede a bit and stop trying to force their view of appropriate behavior on everyone else right?

right?
    I guess we will surely see OKC's number's trending down in the next few days then. If not, I guess the overly eager crowd will recede a bit and stop trying to force everything back to normal furthering endangering lives and the economy?

right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I guess we will surely see OKC's number's trending down in the next few days then. If not, I guess the overly eager crowd will recede a bit and stop trying to force everything back to normal furthering endangering lives and the economy?

right?
    I have been working from home for 8 weeks because of this - during that time 250 Oklahomans have died from the covid, just over 30 per week. Of course the numbers will go up because of the more open posture, I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. At the same time, we have lost something important by being locked up for the last 2 months - many adults have decided they would rather take their chances by restarting their life than continue living like frightened rodents. If you don't agree, you are free to stay in your darkened bedroom until a vaccine arrives to rescue you, nobody is trying to stop you. But you will not make me complicit in your irrational panic.

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastGator View Post
    Highly doubt you or anybody you know will come into contact with anybody these folks associate with, so what's it matter? You gonna start hanging with the Kong's crowd?
    It's incredible at this point that people still don't understand how this virus spreads. SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The important thing is that people decided to show up in large numbers at Kong's. For better or worse, a large percentage of the population has decided they are done with the lockdowns.
    How do you go from 50 people showing up at one bar, receiving widespread criticism to the conclusion "a large percentage of the population has decided they are done with the lockdowns." That's quite the jump in logic.

This stuff can happen even if there's overwhelming public opinion against it. Polls have shown Americans widely agree with shelter at home policies and think many state governments are opening too soon. See: Overall, in the national online poll from April 15-21, 72% of adults in the United States said people should stay at home ‘until the doctors and public health officials say it is safe.’

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    How do you go from 50 people showing up at one bar, receiving widespread criticism to the conclusion "a large percentage of the population has decided they are done with the lockdowns." That's quite the jump in logic.

This stuff can happen even if there's overwhelming public opinion against it. Polls have shown Americans widely agree with shelter at home policies and think many state governments are opening too soon. See: Overall, in the national online poll from April 15-21, 72% of adults in the United States said people should stay at home ‘until the doctors and public health officials say it is safe.’
    I wonder what the same poll would say now nearly three weeks later after 10+ million more people have had to file for unemployment?

Quote Originally Posted by 7OUT View Post

Not related to the topic, but did you shift from another SSM hospital? I know they have said they are trying to shift people around, understood they had some furloughs in Missouri?

Quote Originally Posted by Greggo71 View Post
    I have been working from home for 8 weeks because of this - during that time 250 Oklahomans have died from the covid, just over 30 per week. Of course the numbers will go up because of the more open posture, I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. At the same time, we have lost something important by being locked up for the last 2 months - many adults have decided they would rather take their chances by restarting their life than continue living like frightened rodents. If you don't agree, you are free to stay in your darkened bedroom until a vaccine arrives to rescue you, nobody is trying to stop you. But you will not make me complicit in your irrational panic.
    So that's a "no" then? I find it interesting you only expect people who disagree with you to change their perspective if the data doesn't agree with them.

Thread Information