Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 72

Thread: COVID-19 Accountability

  1. #26

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    What's the exchange rate on dead bodies? People calling this panic evidently have some number of acceptable deaths in mind, if it means they can get out to a bar and get wasted on a holiday that most white Americans likely don't even understand or know the history of. Is it 3 per beer? Maybe an even dozen for a bucket of buds?

    Folks aren't an island, and they affect the health of others around them. Additionally, people crowding into bars like this and other unsafe behaviors will DEFINITELY increase the chance of Oklahoma having to move backwards in our opening up plans. Are folks that eager for another 8 weeks of this strict lockdown?

    We're trying to do a safe, cautious reopening. That means folks shouldn't just run out for large gatherings, not wear masks, ignore social distancing, and pretty much act like life is back to normal. That's the quickest way to ensure that this is an even longer recovery.

  2. #27

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    So that's a "no" then? I find it interesting you only expect people who disagree with you to change their perspective if the data doesn't agree with them.
    Really, do you really find it interesting? The beauty of my opinion is I actually don't care what other people do, other than accept that I have a different opinion. You can totally disagree with me and I am okay with that, isn't that novel? The behaviour from folks like you honestly feels a lot like the inquisition, take this thread for instance - it is designed to shame businesses that don't share a narrow opinion of approved behavior in running their operations. If fear based coercion egged on by certain segments doesn't ring of Orwell I think you should read 1984 again.

  3. #28

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by Greggo71 View Post
    Really, do you really find it interesting? The beauty of my opinion is I actually don't care what other people do, other than accept that I have a different opinion. You can totally disagree with me and I am okay with that, isn't that novel? The behaviour from folks like you honestly feels a lot like the inquisition, take this thread for instance - it is designed to shame businesses that don't share a narrow opinion of approved behavior in running their operations. If fear based coercion egged on by certain segments doesn't ring of Orwell I think you should read 1984 again.
    There are clear government-mandated guidelines that were violated, so this isn't just a matter of opinion.

    And if you care so little about the opinions of others, why are you arguing with such anger?

  4. #29

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are clear government-mandated guidelines that were violated, so this isn't just a matter of opinion.

    And if you care so little about the opinions of others, why are you arguing with such anger?
    I don't actually think I am coming off as angry Pete, maybe you just don't agree with what I have to say? At any rate, I am not mad, more like whatever emotion you would associate with a serious eye roll. You have to keep in mind, the government mandated guidelines have clearly been conceived to placate an extremely vocal minority wracked by fear of this illness; it's not like the guidelines are based on any actual studies proving their efficacy. My real point is that many people have had enough with the placating and are going on with their lives.

  5. #30

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by Greggo71 View Post
    I don't actually think I am coming off as angry Pete, maybe you just don't agree with what I have to say? At any rate, I am not mad, more like whatever emotion you would associate with a serious eye roll. You have to keep in mind, the government mandated guidelines have clearly been conceived to placate an extremely vocal minority wracked by fear of this illness; it's not like the guidelines are based on any actual studies proving their efficacy. My real point is that many people have had enough with the placating and are going on with their lives.
    And every single other country in the world is in on this conspiracy to stop people from packing into Kong's?

    This is global and being handled generally the same way everywhere because that approach is backed by science and common sense.

  6. #31

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by Greggo71 View Post
    I don't actually think I am coming off as angry Pete, maybe you just don't agree with what I have to say? At any rate, I am not mad, more like whatever emotion you would associate with a serious eye roll. You have to keep in mind, the government mandated guidelines have clearly been conceived to placate an extremely vocal minority wracked by fear of this illness; it's not like the guidelines are based on any actual studies proving their efficacy. My real point is that many people have had enough with the placating and are going on with their lives.
    I believe these guidelines are based on the currently accepted understanding of the germ theory of disease.

  7. #32

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    As someone who taught 1984, the comparison between the book and today’s health recommendations to prevent deaths is mind blowing.

  8. #33

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    As someone who taught 1984, the comparison between the book and today’s health recommendations to prevent deaths is mind blowing.
    Dan for a liberal you seem to be against liberty. This confuses me, here I'll link the dictionary definition below just in case you teach liberty differently in your class.

    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/liberty?s=t

  9. #34

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastGator View Post
    Highly doubt you or anybody you know will come into contact with anybody these folks associate with, so what's it matter? You gonna start hanging with the Kong's crowd? If they were breaking the rules, well they were wrong, but the holier than thou crowd is mighty supercilious on these pages.
    OK, now I'm curious. Who IS the Kong crowd? Who do they cater to? I really don't know.

  10. #35

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    I just went to Kong's website and watched a short "About" video. It looks like a very young crowd. It reminds me of the old Yucatan Liquor Stand when I was still clubbing with the "younger set." Am I pretty close?

  11. #36
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,407
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by Greggo71 View Post
    I have been working from home for 8 weeks because of this - during that time 250 Oklahomans have died from the covid, just over 30 per week. Of course the numbers will go up because of the more open posture, I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. At the same time, we have lost something important by being locked up for the last 2 months - many adults have decided they would rather take their chances by restarting their life than continue living like frightened rodents. If you don't agree, you are free to stay in your darkened bedroom until a vaccine arrives to rescue you, nobody is trying to stop you. But you will not make me complicit in your irrational panic.
    Right. People in Stillwater were also tired of being cooped up. El Tapatio Mexican Restaurant looked quite packed even for a Friday evening even though the food isn't all that great. Otherwise, people love to go to Ted's to get away from mediocre Mexican food.

  12. #37

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    This was... an interesting video clip/interview.

    https://kfor.com/health/coronavirus/...-new-protocol/

  13. #38

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    I drove out to Hefner today to check on my boat. The golf course was packed. (so was the lake.) I did not see a single mask on any of the players on the course. Ten minutes ago I watched a bit on Channel 4 news where they talked to a golfer at a course in LA with about 10 people in the background and all of them had masks on.

    Trails at Overholser closer to home, about the same. Like an interstate and very few people wearing masks. (Just realized this is in the Restaurant and Bars heading but still.)

  14. #39

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Picked up an order at OSO an hour ago, and every table on the patio was occupied and every table was pretty much full, hostess was wearing a mask, but nobody else was (which makes sense, 'cos they have to eat). I thought there'd just be a few folks waiting for their orders on the patio, didn't realize they had pretty much opened. The numbers in a couple of weeks should be interesting, and probably not in a good way.

  15. #40

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Swung by the Uptown Grocery in Edmond earlier this evening. Didn't see a single mask besides my own.

  16. #41

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    I drove out to Hefner today to check on my boat. The golf course was packed. (so was the lake.) I did not see a single mask on any of the players on the course. Ten minutes ago I watched a bit on Channel 4 news where they talked to a golfer at a course in LA with about 10 people in the background and all of them had masks on.

    Trails at Overholser closer to home, about the same. Like an interstate and very few people wearing masks. (Just realized this is in the Restaurant and Bars heading but still.)
    I was out there playing with no mask. I was Dead Solid Perfect today too.

  17. Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Swung by the Uptown Grocery in Edmond earlier this evening. Didn't see a single mask besides my own.
    Yep. Looks like the mask wearing is over. Sad to see honestly. Compared to two weeks ago masks at stores have plummeted. I really hope we don’t spike again and have to shut things down again.

  18. #43

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    I was at Target tonight near Quail Springs... about half maybe two thirds were wearing masks (as were all their employees), and then half or a third of customers were not.

  19. #44

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    I was at Target tonight near Quail Springs... about half maybe two thirds were wearing masks (as were all their employees), and then half or a third of customers were not.
    Thatís not bad, tbh. The Walmarts are really struggling in the category

  20. #45

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Yep. Looks like the mask wearing is over. Sad to see honestly. Compared to two weeks ago masks at stores have plummeted. I really hope we don’t spike again and have to shut things down again.
    Since the mask wearing has decreased, I keep waiting for Pete's Oklahoma case chart to be broken. But it isn't anywhere close to doing that.

  21. #46

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Since the mask wearing has decreased, I keep waiting for Pete's Oklahoma case chart to be broken. But it isn't anywhere close to doing that.
    Yet. We'll see if things hold up.

  22. #47

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    I hope they do but not I'm changing my behavior for probably a month while I wait for data. 14 day incubation. we might see an upward trend in 1-4 weeks or maybe we won't. I hope for the latter, expect the former.

  23. #48

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Yep. Looks like the mask wearing is over. Sad to see honestly. Compared to two weeks ago masks at stores have plummeted. I really hope we don’t spike again and have to shut things down again.
    Are we that surprised? Sure, we practice that good old Oklahoma Standard if somebody's neighborhood gets flattened by some F-5 twisters, but God forbid we practice it to slow the spread of a new virus.

  24. #49

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    Dan for a liberal you seem to be against liberty. This confuses me, here I'll link the dictionary definition below just in case you teach liberty differently in your class.

    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/liberty?s=t
    I'm open to having an sincere conversation, but I don't play Internet games. I'm not perfect, but I make a sincere effort at honest conversations and try not to misrepresent others' views.

    I stated that I do not believe the current shelter-at-home orders are comparable to 1984, a book I've taught and understand deeply. Your response is that I do not understand or value the concept of liberty. That's the type of dishonest engagement that turns the Internet into a cesspool of shallow partisan bickering. I post on OKCTalk because people generally do better here.

    So again, if you honestly want to argue that shelter-at-home and 1984 are the same then more power to you. Write a post with some explanation and examples. You haven't even provided evidence to support your own argument yet. Maybe you should work on developing your own arguments instead of trying to lecture me.

  25. #50

    Default Re: COVID-19 Accountability

    Imo, thereís definitely some value in the mask wearing if youíre fortunate enough to own a handful of N95s, but Iím just not sure about the utility of the cloth versions I see employed at the Shoppes. The CV is an extremely small media.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)
    By SSEiYah in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 11356
    Last Post: 09-02-2021, 03:59 PM
  2. Covid-19 Testing.
    By kukblue1 in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-08-2020, 10:08 PM
  3. After COVID-19...Then What?
    By bucktalk in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-14-2020, 01:07 PM
  4. Repeat DUI offender. Where does the accountability begin?
    By bucktalk in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2017, 05:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO