Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: May 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: May 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Nothing widespread is very likely. There is a CU field developing down across NC TX. This could continue to spread into SC or SW OK. Storm movement likely to be a E/NE drift, so it is plausible to see additional development in the area from outflow boundaries. But again, we don't have a definite trigger here in C OK. Radar will have to monitored.

Seems like we’re transitioning away from our dryline/supercell storm trends to more MCS style systems that we see in early summer. At least those tend to bring good rains to the state.

I am going with bunk on the upcoming weather forecast. We were supposed to have rain all three days this weekend in the metro and so far not a drop. So when I see all these less than 50% days I don't believe we will get any rainfall. Are our forecasters really that bad? We are supposed to be some sort of forefront of meteorology. Other good news is June is right around the corner, so storm season goes away with that switch. So hopefully we don't see a drop of rain till June, and some sunshine and 90's would be nice along the way.

All they basically do is read radar and forecasts Models. Almost anyone with a 8th grade education can do that these days. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Drake View Post
    I am going with bunk on the upcoming weather forecast. We were supposed to have rain all three days this weekend in the metro and so far not a drop. ...
    Rained pretty hard at NW 36th/May on Fri night and is currently raining now.

Sure they got the 50% chance of rain forecasts wrong, but they nailed the 50% chance of dry forecasts though!

Understanding odds is hard.

I am going with bunk on the upcoming weather forecast. We were supposed to have rain all three days this weekend in the metro and so far not a drop. So when I see all these less than 50% days I don't believe we will get any rainfall. Are our forecasters really that bad? We are supposed to be some sort of forefront of meteorology. Other good news is June is right around the corner, so storm season goes away with that switch. So hopefully we don't see a drop of rain till June, and some sunshine and 90's would be nice along the way.
    It looks like the jet is going to be slowly moving across the state this week which looks to be pulling moisture up into the state. The catalyst for rain will be whether we get any cool air from the passing front which I believe is in the forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    It looks like the jet is going to be slowly moving across the state this week which looks to be pulling moisture up into the state. The catalyst for rain will be whether we get any cool air from the passing front which I believe is in the forecast.
    Yes and that's what our "meteorologists" who read models with an 8th grade education level are seeing. Truth is only one of those models holds true and we get rain one time throughout the week. That is if we are lucky. We are close enough to June that cool air passing through is a pipe dream. And close enough to June that severe storm chances are on the downward part of the downward slide and we don't have to worry about hail or tornadoes.

Are we gonna present is hasn’t rained at all, including now?

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Are we gonna present is hasn’t rained at all, including now?
    I really don't care what you think happened. Seriously!

You have 92 comments. Every single one of them moaning and crying about the weather. Why don't you move?!

It rained, weird how facts work...

Great temperatures this week. We will likely be dealing with intermittent cloudiness until this storm moves out of the Mississippi valley. There will be a lingering slight chance of showers/storms basically every day, but nothing organized.

OKC's best shot looks like late Tuesday through Thursday at any rain showers or storms.

Looking into June, looks like we will begin warming up middle of next week. Also perhaps the GOM could see some tropical action.

NO, the storm season doesn't go away in June. The 45th anniversary of the Stillwater Friday the 13th tornado is next month. Anybody would be foolish to let their guard down during June. Safer off waiting for July. But no 100% safe guarantees then.

I don't think there was any moderate risk outlooks issued anywhere in the US in May. Not sure what was the last time that happened.

Unfortunately, the same weather patterns that resulted in low severe activity could lead to above average tropical weather.

Looks like the warmth is starting to take hold. And with that, we bid you adieu, storm season! Fare thee well and don't let the door hit you on the way out!

The last few GFS runs have hinted at pop up storms on the back side of a ridge for most of OK Wednesday and Thursday. The NWS hasn’t bit though and isn’t showing any rain chances those days. Either way it will be hot this week.

Thread Information