Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: May 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Sad, little people.

Severe watch extended a few counties east to encompass I-35 corridor. Storms are currently in a line moving east. We will see if they can maintain their current intensity as they move into cooler air.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Be careful, that makes you a child in the eyes of some.
    Apparently!! I do the lightning from my back porch. When I was younger, I'd be in the middle of a field with a metal tripod. Since having kids, I hide on my porch once they've passed. Or stick the lens through a car window.....I turned into a fraidy cat once i had kids...And after being a ER nurse when the f5s come through...I don't even mess with pictures of that...I sit with the kids and the spiders in the storm shelter.

^^^ I was watching videos of the F-5 that hit El Reno where that weather channel guy was taken out and that is some scary stuff!

Looks like Anons analysis is correct as the storms are breaking up already. Looks like they will fizzle out before Canadian Co and no worries for OKC metro tonight. Gotta get through those marginal chances through the week (I am not expecting anything) then we look to be in the clear long range. I love it!

Only severe storms left are down along the Red River. OKC may get a tiny drink before this decaying cell dies out. We may have some gusty winds with the storms collapsing.

Anonymous seems to be our good luck charm, OKC has not had any major severe weather in the years since 2013. May he stick around a long time, and the weather remain sunny and warm for the rest of time.

Why am I seeing lightning and hearing thunder in the metro? Thought these storms were supposed to be like the dodo bird by now.

Main cell coming into SW OKC has flared up some. Not severe as of 11:40. Some gusty winds, thunder, lightning. Nice rain. Maybe some small hail.

Edit: cell just got marked as severe as of 11:41. This is the only severe storm in the state.

Surprised no one has commented on the wind...this is nuts! It blew my neighbors pergola into my yard. Who knows the true extent of damage it did to my roof.

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    Surprised no one has commented on the wind...this is nuts! It blew my neighbors pergola into my yard. Who knows the true extent of damage it did to my roof.
    I'm in southwest OKC. The winds are crazy. My patio chairs were blown off the patio and on their way to the pond. KOCO saying wind gusts up to 64 mph. Fingers crossed no lost shingles.

The storm made a huge mess in the front yard and on my car so I have to go clean it up

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    We may have some gusty winds with the storms collapsing.
    Famous last words.

Hey Anon. I'm slowly learning some of the basics of weather forecasting in my down time. My discipline is not too far different than meteorology anyway.

That being said, I'm looking at some of the GFS models for next week, and it looks like something is trying to come through next saturday. What do you think? I know it's pretty far out, so a lot can change. Just curious as to your opinion on it.

More rain tonight and tomorrow, bleah!

Is OKC going to miss the first round of rain? Looks like everything is forming to the south.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Is OKC going to miss the first round of rain? Looks like everything is forming to the south.
    The outflow boundary from last nights storms in northeastern and eastern Oklahoma pushed through early and destabilized the atmosphere thus significantly lowering our chance of pretty much anything. The storms are forming to the south of us. Would like to see some rain but not if its going to be attached to giant hail or high winds.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Most of OKC is north of the boundary and is in stable cool air. If you’re getting a strong east wind, you probably won’t see much, if any, rain.

Hey Anon. What are you thoughts on this weekend.

To me, if I'm interpreting correctly, it looks like thursday may be interesting in SW oklahoma, but there doesn't look to be much instability present. This weekend doesn't look great either from a moisture standpoint. Looks like the moisture really starts pouring in next week, but the jet seems to be too far north. Any thoughts?

I have been out of town the last few days, so sorry for no updates for the last week, really.

Looking ahead at the items CM 25 has mentioned. Thursday and Friday storms look dependent on a MCS forming from dryline development across SW KS and into the panhandles. If any cluster can survive into the night and try and sink down into W/NW OK, then we could have a chance at something here in C OK.

Weekend looks a little more complicated, storm chances don't look the best, but there is some potential for one of those "if anything does develop, it will be severe" type scenarios. Saturday evening may be the best shot for this.

Temperatures look fantastic, just check radar for outdoor plans.

Tonight chances of storms mostly contained to SW OK:

Thursday mostly NW and N OK:

Friday, randomly scattered, likely outflow boundary dependent.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch is out for W KS, these will be the storms that may make it into OK late tonight. Dependent on if they can hold together and how far to the south they build.

Latest NAM actually bring storms into C OK very late, this is the first iteration of this forecasted, so we'll see if it holds any water.

NAM nailed it last night at the last minute.

Here is NAM's take on Saturday night:

I am thinking we might see redevelopment this afternoon close to central Oklahoma. Sun is out and dewpoints are recovering. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    I am thinking we might see redevelopment this afternoon close to central Oklahoma. Sun is out and dewpoints are recovering. Thoughts?
    Right now, it doesn't look like the instability will be back into play this afternoon. It doesn't start filtering back in until really late tonight/early tomorrow morning.

Thread Information