Widgets Magazine

View Poll Results: When do public schools reopen?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • August, as usual

25 56.82%
  • Sometime in September-December

10 22.73%

9 20.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: When will schools reopen?

Default Poll: When will schools reopen?

When will public schools open with in person classes, and will you let your children attend?

2. Default Re: Poll: When will schools reopen?

They will open in the fall at normal time. Parents want it and kids want it.

Default Re: Poll: When will schools reopen?

Schools are already planning to be open brick-and-mortar for the fall. That decision, unless things go south dramatically, has already been made. The people with the boots on the ground, even in the absence of a formal announcement, are already working in that direction as they start planning for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    When will public schools open with in person classes, and will you let your children attend?
    In August and any parent would let their children attend, like they have a choice unless they decided to put their kids in home school

5. Default Re: Poll: When will schools reopen?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    In August and any parent would let their children attend, like they have a choice unless they decided to put their kids in home school
    Technically Moore Schools has a few options instead of being forced to in class. https://www.normantranscript.com/new...9f5664e73.html

Most school age parents will be happy about the reopening of the schools. There may be a slight increase in home schooling, but unfortunately that's just not possible for most families.

We still have over two months away to see what happens during the summer with the evolution of this virus.

This was released last week by the Oklahoma State Department of Education: https://sde.ok.gov/sites/default/fil...20Oklahoma.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Technically Moore Schools has a few options instead of being forced to in class. https://www.normantranscript.com/new...9f5664e73.html
    Thank you, those are good options

I had heard some parents talk about the possibility of doing an A and B week with students where one half would come in one week and the other half would do distance learning and then they would flip the next week. Is that still a possibility or are they just going completely back to normal classes?

Los Angeles and San Diego Schools Will Go Online-Only in the Fall
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/13/w....co/g1zig8iSOQ

Florida is opening schools, this is interesting.

11. Default Re: Poll: When will schools reopen?

Can we bet on how long until they go back online?

A lot of year book advisers are thinking about how they're going to cover all of the students and teachers who die because of prematurely reopening about now.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    A lot of year book advisers are thinking about how they're going to cover all of the students and teachers who die because of prematurely reopening about now.
    Man, something that nobody probably *ever* thought they'd have to consider. Black borders around their pics?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Man, something that nobody probably *ever* thought they'd have to consider. Black borders around their pics?
    I guess it just depends on how many die. COVID will at least be getting a spread in the yearbooks. Most schools are going to have at least one faculty member who doesn't survive the coming semester.

I wonder what OKC PS plans to do about the schools that are overcrowded. Prairie Queen Elementary and Jefferson have portable buildings and Grant has been chronically overcrowded. I'm sure there are others with too many students for the facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I guess it just depends on how many die. COVID will at least be getting a spread in the yearbooks. Most schools are going to have at least one faculty member who doesn't survive the coming semester.
    i think this is overstating things a bit

What are we going to do from October to March every year during the flu season. If we are treating COVID the same as the flu, then can children ever attend school again?

From the CDC, “ However, for children (0-17 years), cumulative COVID-19 hospitalization rates are much lower than cumulative influenza hospitalization rates during recent influenza seasons.”

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...iew/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    What are we going to do from October to March every year during the flu season. If we are treating COVID the same as the flu, then can children ever attend school again?

From the CDC, “ However, for children (0-17 years), cumulative COVID-19 hospitalization rates are much lower than cumulative influenza hospitalization rates during recent influenza seasons.”

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...iew/index.html
    With Covid, the worry isn't that the kids themselves will die (though the long-term impact of Covid is still unknown) but that they will then transmit it to adults and high-risk groups (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/h...n-schools.html).

Seriously, for the umpteenth time, stop comparing this to the flu. It displays a total lack of understanding of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    With Covid, the worry isn't that the kids themselves will die (though the long-term impact of Covid is still unknown) but that they will then transmit it to adults and high-risk groups (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/h...n-schools.html).

Seriously, for the umpteenth time, stop comparing this to the flu. It displays a total lack of understanding of the issue.
    Not that I'm advocating that Nextdoor has good policies overall, but they do have one - they remove reported posts that contain voting, COVID, etc. mis/dis-information, wonder if Pete/Martin would be amenable to that here?

I was commenting on the hospitalization rate of the children that get Covid. Where in my comment did I talk about spreading and a lack of understanding of a spreading issue? No where. Kids are germ factories and spreads all kinds of germs all over each other. Especially the younger kids. I have no doubt COVID spreads amount children the same as the flu/cold or any other type of virus.

Not that I'm advocating that Nextdoor has good policies overall, but they do have one - they remove reported posts that contain voting, COVID, etc. mis/dis-information, wonder if Pete/Martin would be amenable to that here?
    How is quoting something from the CDC misinformation. Please explain?

I was commenting on the hospitalization rate of the children that get Covid. Where in my comment did I talk about spreading and a lack of understanding of a spreading issue? No where. Kids are germ factories and spreads all kinds of germs all over each other. Especially the younger kids. I have no doubt COVID spreads amount children the same as the flu/cold or any other type of virus.
    Focusing on the hospitalization rate of kids (which thank God is low) is again missing the bigger issue with reopening schools, which is that they spread COVID to teachers and other adults who may be at risk. And COVID is a disease multiple times more deadly than the flu with many more long-term effects, some of which we don't yet fully understand.

So by not mentioning the spreading, you're ignoring the whole darn point of the argument since folks aren't saying we need to close schools or else a whole lot of kids will die, but rather schools will become the epicenters of outbreaks than could profoundly impact the adult population. See Israel as an example (https://www.wsj.com/articles/israeli...mb-11594760001)

How is quoting something from the CDC misinformation. Please explain?
    Nice deflection. This is the part of your post that's misinformation, your own personal words, and it's misinformation because COVID-19 is *not* the same as the flu and we're not treating it like that:

"What are we going to do from October to March every year during the flu season. If we are treating COVID the same as the flu, then can children ever attend school again?"

Nice deflection. This is the part of your post that's misinformation, your own personal words, and it's misinformation because COVID-19 is *not* the same as the flu and we're not treating it like that:

"What are we going to do from October to March every year during the flu season. If we are treating COVID the same as the flu, then can children ever attend school again?"
    It seems to me it is misinformation in your own mind. I was stating facts. COVID has a lower hospitalization rate than the flu according to the CDC. Every year there are numerous children that are out of school and hospitalized due to the flu. There are numerous news articles of teachers who died from the flu. If there is a segment that does not allow children to attend school due to COVID, so why is this different than the flu season when children are at greater risk from the flu than COVID.

Focusing on the hospitalization rate of kids (which thank God is low) is again missing the bigger issue with reopening schools, which is that they spread COVID to teachers and other adults who may be at risk. And COVID is a disease multiple times more deadly than the flu with many more long-term effects, some of which we don't yet fully understand.

So by not mentioning the spreading, you're ignoring the whole darn point of the argument since folks aren't saying we need to close schools or else a whole lot of kids will die, but rather schools will become the epicenters of outbreaks than could profoundly impact the adult population. See Israel as an example (https://www.wsj.com/articles/israeli...mb-11594760001)
    I understand the adult part of COVID. I am taking about the child part of COVID.

Thread Information