Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: KATT memories

Default KATT memories

i grew up listening to KATT radio,..especially in the late 80s and early 90s. wanted to create a thread for those who are fond of this station, its djs-past and present, and any other pertaining memories.

one fond memory i have is there was an annual christmas time jingle they used to play..i think it was a local band..im not sure..but the song went something like "merry christmas..and have a happy new year."..and then later on in the song it mentioned KATT radio and said "...and well be YULE-TIDE ROCKIN"

I think the band was called Triumph..but im really not sure, i tried google-ing what i could..but found no results.

i also remember the KATT calendars,..especially the one from 1988 that had several bands on it, but disguised as pictures...like it had a conversion van on it that simply said "halen" on it (van halen, get it?)...also had a potted plant that said "Bob" on it (Robert Planet)...etc etc.

There was also various parody tshirts...like Robo-KATT (robocop),..KATT-Man (Batman), etc.

whats your KATT memories?

Default Re: KATT memories

I knew a guy that worked in the art department when they had those posters. They also had some interesting billboards.

Trey Aven designed the logo Katt and did all the ad art for their first few years. Last I heard he was teaching art in New England, somewhere.

4. Default Re: KATT memories

The band was out of Del City and I believe they were called Legacy. Triumph is a three member Canadian band who had "hits" like "Lay it on the Line" and "Magic Power".

I remember turning the dial to FM and hearing The Katt play the Bruce Springsteen version of "Blinded by the Light". At the time the Manfred Mann version was being played on Top 40 ad nauseum and I got hooked to this new radio station. (that was circa 1977 when I was 15).

By the time I was in high school there were two stations in rock radio, the KATT and 96X. However by then they both pretty much played the same tired pop songs and gone were the edgier underground music. (pretty much the same playlist that 107.7 plays today.)

After 96X switched to country, there really was only the KATT if you wanted to listen to rock and I listened to them when I was in the car. Now I don't even have them as a preset on my car radio. I've been listening to The Buzz for the past ?? years. But too much Nickleback and Red Hot Chitty Peppers and away I go.

I prefer audiobooks when I'm driving now.

Loved what they did to the song "Lightning Crashes" during the Murrah Building bombing. Does anyone know if that's available for download?

yeah, i can relate to what youre saying ,so1rfan. The KATT is finding itself in a dilemma of how to appease to the listening preferences of everyone. So its this jumbled mess of trying to soothe classic rock afficianados, playing the newest rock, heavy metal, etc.

they should just have KATT 1, KATT 2, KATT 3,..etc...should just branch off onto different FM frequencies to satisfy different genres because their listening audience is so huge and diverse.

What the KATT was 20 yrs ago is what KRXO has become today.
    Last edited by mireaux; 06-11-2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: wrong poster mentioned initially

thanks for informing me of the correct band..i googled it again and found the song..here it is for all to listen to:

http://share.ovi.com/media/KATTHARDL...RDLICKER.10022
    Last edited by mireaux; 06-11-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo

Wasnt it the Katt that had the "I'm going to run naked down nw hwy" promotion. That was funnier than ****, you wouldnt believe how many people showed up and lined nw hwy.

I use to have one of their shirts from Rick and Brad's World Tour (that consisted of towns like Enid, Clinton, Lawton, Altus).

I also have (somewhere) an autographed picture of Rick, Brad, Brenda Bennett and Crystal.

Both are probably from the mid 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    I use to have one of their shirts from Rick and Brad's World Tour (that consisted of towns like Enid, Clinton, Lawton, Altus).

I also have (somewhere) an autographed picture of Rick, Brad, Brenda Bennett and Crystal.

Both are probably from the mid 90s.
    Help me here. If you went to any midnight movies in the mid-70's you'll know. Either the KATT or KRXO had to get a petition up in order to get their license and start airplay. Their "promise" was that they would never "commercialize" their station.

Someone know the answer or where we can look?

Rick and Brad ran me away. Whenever they started their routine I felt like a little boy at my grandparents watching Hee-Haw!!!!!

I listen to the BUZZ but it's getting to where they suck with regularity........

I remember they they started when I was in high school at grant, we used to jam out to them in my monte carlo with them big ole 6x9 speakers in the rear deck(how pathetic). The big statoion back then was kofm 104 , they had a disc jockey named LESTER BOOGIE MICHAELS he sounded just like wolfman jack it was amazing.

Also the KATT had big bumper stickers and we would cut the figure of the katt out and just put it in the back window, not a few years later I guess they seen we were doing this and made them that way.

Rick and Brad need to retire, I quit listening to them in the morning all they want to talk about is " hey audra if a guy comes up to you blah blah blah.....just wears me out!

The KATT got old to me not long after the Citadel takeover, I quit listening to terrestrial radio much around 2000 mainly listening to CD's because I got tired of the stupidity and shtick on there. I was a faithful 96X listener until the format change and stayed with the KATT until the above mentioned time.

Other stations that existed much longer ago in addition to 104
    KZUE - now KJ103, a DJ on there was Cracker Jack Walker
    KWHP - I think it was around 97.3, I have a button somewhere.
    The "real" KOMA

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The KATT got old to me not long after the Citadel takeover, I quit listening to terrestrial radio much around 2000 mainly listening to CD's because I got tired of the stupidity and shtick on there. I was a faithful 96X listener until the format change and stayed with the KATT until the above mentioned time.

Other stations that existed much longer ago in addition to 104
    KZUE - now KJ103, a DJ on there was Cracker Jack Walker
    KWHP - I think it was around 97.3, I have a button somewhere.
    The "real" KOMA
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    you guys are talking about the KATT....I remember one time I was deer hunting in west Texas late one night when one of the guides jumped up and yelled at the others and said I think it's time......Time for what???? I asked and the guy said our favorite radio station is coming one....Hmmm and from nowhere (375 miles or more from OKC) I heard hey everybody, this is KOMA Johnny Dark here....I couldn't get excited I had heard that too many times in my life.....When My family and I moved back here from Texas.....our Next door neighbor was moving in the same day...we went to introduce ourselves and I asked him what he did for a living...Disc Jockey for Rock station in OKC...Really?? Yeah he said KXXY 96 on the dial....Oh.....I was really country then...saw him the next day....he wasn't country and was a little confused...Dave Murray was his radio name ...you know, Dave and Dan.....He is now living in Estes Park, Colorado.....Quite a shock for his system....

The only good DJ at the KATT is zubeck he still plays the good rock, the others need to go bye bye

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    I remember they they started when I was in high school at grant, we used to jam out to them in my monte carlo with them big ole 6x9 speakers in the rear deck(how pathetic). The big statoion back then was kofm 104 , they had a disc jockey named LESTER BOOGIE MICHAELS he sounded just like wolfman jack it was amazing.

Also the KATT had big bumper stickers and we would cut the figure of the katt out and just put it in the back window, not a few years later I guess they seen we were doing this and made them that way.

Rick and Brad need to retire, I quit listening to them in the morning all they want to talk about is " hey audra if a guy comes up to you blah blah blah.....just wears me out!

Didnt Lester Michaels do a stint at KOMA sometime in the nineties?

Off the subject remember Ricky the K solid gold time machine on KOMA?

He still does it on the internet and subscription based. I was obsessed with radio as a kid and listened to his show every saturday...

Quote Originally Posted by drum4no1 View Post
    Didnt Lester Michaels do a stint at KOMA sometime in the nineties?

Off the subject remember Ricky the K solid gold time machine on KOMA?

He still does it on the internet and subscription based. I was obsessed with radio as a kid and listened to his show every saturday...
    He may have, I dont know how old you are but do you remember the dr. demento program I believe it was on sat. nights from a station in california I believe maybe it was koma...was pretty freaky for the day as an example(there coming to take you away)

KRXO carried Dr Demento locally for sometime. I was in the 7th and eighth grade and listened to it every week. I guess that would be 1990-1992

Im only 31 but grew up listening to KOMA, and was/is classic radio obsessed.

When taking trips to the West coast listened to KOMA 1520 going out and coming back during the 1970's.

The only good station that lasted for some time was out of Edmond. Kind of a "underground" station. Prunepicker and I talked about the place at one time he knows all the details.............

Got a Dr. D. Tshirt when he played a request of mine............

I seen a pic of him a long time ago in a big ole chimney sweepers hat ....wait I think he and al eshbach are one in the same!

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    I seen a pic of him a long time ago in a big ole chimney sweepers hat ....wait I think he and al eshbach are one in the same!
    Since Dr. D. wears a tophat he is the more "cultured" of the two.

i was a KATT guest DJ in September of 1993. My dad brought me up to the station, which at the time was off of nw expwy and meridian, kinda close to where the arbys is. we arrived a little before midnight-before i was due on air. the dj was cool..someone who didnt last at the station long, and even though i brought along a cassette tape to record the whole session, i still cant make out his name.

i got to play 10 or 12 tracks that i selected, and got to take phone calls from listeners. most were cool and telling me i was doing a good job in the rocking chair..some were rude to me just cause i wasnt playing a song they wanted to here..i suppose.

it was always fun to press the button that made the iconic KATT growl.

The KATT was Kool in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    the katt was kool in the 70's.
    really!!
    I feel that rock and concerts began to really suck during that time. They were moved from buildings designed for music and put into sport complexes. The fairgrounds arena, myriad, lloyd noble.......can't think of a group or song to associate with the era. Probably a precursor to hard rock/heavy metal.........

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    really!!
    I feel that rock and concerts began to really suck during that time. They were moved from buildings designed for music and put into sport complexes. The fairgrounds arena, myriad, lloyd noble.......can't think of a group or song to associate with the era. Probably a precursor to hard rock/heavy metal.........
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey, Elvis didn't die until 1977 Rock 'n roll was going strong....However, there were a bunch of Garage bands and yelling that occurred during that time.......

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey, Elvis didn't die until 1977 Rock 'n roll was going strong....However, there were a bunch of Garage bands and yelling that occurred during that time.......
    Elvis Costello? He's still living.

Geeeee.............

Complain about "greasers" and then throw Elvis out there....
    (can't wait til you get here baby. After ya pickup the pizza, go by Dunkin Donuts and get two dozen jelly filled long johns.....What am I doin? Just sitting here on the crapper makin room for what you bringin'. Stop by DQ and get four or five blizzards. Ouch! My chest hurts. Feel like I'm gonna throw-up. Wish I could get some action from my poop chute and things will be comin' out of both ends makin' more room. Think I'm gonna lay here on the tile floor. My bvd's are tangled around my ankles. That happens some times when your butt is five times larger than your ankles. Yep! I'm gonna lay down here until you arrive.

Thread Information