Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Development near the Showbiz Movie Theater?

Default Development near the Showbiz Movie Theater?

Has anyone heard what shops/restaurants are planned for the area that has been cleared by the Showbiz Movie Theater? I heard rumors of a Hal Smith restaurant, but would love to confirm that. I'm sure the pandemic could cause changes....

Default Re: Development near the Showbiz Movie Theater?

A big “urban” / walkable development is proposed between Showbiz and Hilton Garden Inn. It is/was going to include a pedestrian paseo or a pedestrian oriented street to directly connect the two sites which it sits in the middle of and have around 800 or so apartments on top of retail and restaurants. I can’t recall if office is going to be included also.

The out parcels close to the street are going to be typical strip malls.

Covell and I-35 will receive stop lights at the on/off ramps. That project should start this summer, IIRC.

Covell widening will be extended to Fairfax neighborhood entrance but not all the way to Coltrane. That project starts this year as well I believe soon.

Sooner Bridge will be reconstructed to 4 lanes and feature a trail underpass tying into a future NE trail. That starts in a few years.

On the east side of I-35 there are various improvements as a new high school will be built in this area.

That’s all I know. Not sure if any specific planned stores. I would love to see a Whole Foods built at Sooner and Covell where Crest pulled out of.

This project started way back in 2007 at which time the hotel was announced (lots of incentives from the city of Edmond who I believe has some ownership interest).

The remainder of the property is owned by a local group that had partnered with a developer out of Little Rock named Steve Clary. A few years later Clary was convicted of felony loan fraud and sent to prison.

At one time they announced a partnership with Simon, the same company that owns tons of malls including Penn Square. There were grandiose plans and they said they had commitments from department stores.

All that collapsed. Pretty darn sure Simon is no longer involved and neither is Clary, leaving the local guys behind Raptor properties as owners. Raptor bought Crossroads Mall in 2011 and still owns it, but has done nothing with it (obviously).

In 13 years, all that has happened besides the hotel is Showbiz Theater. I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon and I bet it will be mainly some office and strip centers, maybe apartments.

^^^^ Pete, have you not seen the latest plans for the development between Showbiz and Hilton? I believe I posted it here on OKCTalk somewhere.

I had heard about plans for a real shopping mall but didn’t know they got that far along.

@plutonic panda and @pete thank you both for your responses! I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that @pete is right . I would LOVE to see a Whole Foods too, or better yet a Trader Joes! NE Edmond is growing and a grocery store, restaurants, fitness center, etc. would be wonderful in that area - especially having the Convention center right there. If you hear any other news, I would love to know! Thanks again!

The Crest Foods will happen. Currently building # 9 in Yukon that should open by end of year. My understanding is # 10 (Sooner & Covell) will happen within 18-24 months after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershoes View Post
    The Crest Foods will happen. Currently building # 9 in Yukon that should open by end of year. My understanding is # 10 (Sooner & Covell) will happen within 18-24 months after that.
    good deal

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershoes View Post
    Is the Yukon Crest actually under construction yet?

I wouldnt be surprised if you dont see crest here by this Showbiz for several more years.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Is the Yukon Crest actually under construction yet?

I wouldnt be surprised if you dont see crest here by this Showbiz for several more years.
    It's moving right along. The walls are all up.

Bumping this thread.
    On the west side of Sooner and on the far north end I first noticed added sod and some landscaping at the end of October. But lately I have noticed a few vehicles and a large shipping container. It appears they are smaller lots for smaller strip centers? Anyone know for sure what is happening?

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    Bumping this thread.
    On the west side of Sooner and on the far north end I first noticed added sod and some landscaping at the end of October. But lately I have noticed a few vehicles and a large shipping container. It appears they are smaller lots for smaller strip centers? Anyone know for sure what is happening?
    It appears it's the set up for individual offices as you see off of Covell west of Sooner. Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    It appears it's the set up for individual offices as you see off of Covell west of Sooner. Maybe?
    Probably... I noticed slabs have been poured. They should be going vertical soon. They look like strips and not the same office set-up. We will know soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    Probably... I noticed slabs have been poured. They should be going vertical soon. They look like strips and not the same office set-up. We will know soon enough.
    Was out driving this area this weekend and with the number of housing developments going up shocked there isn’t more retail here yet. I do feel like when it does start it will be very rapid and all at once.
    I do feel crest will be a big hit whenever they build. As well as a franchise gym
    Of some sort such as planet fitness or anytime. Or a vasa would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Was out driving this area this weekend and with the number of housing developments going up shocked there isn’t more retail here yet. I do feel like when it does start it will be very rapid and all at once.
    I do feel crest will be a big hit whenever they build. As well as a franchise gym
    Of some sort such as planet fitness or anytime. Or a vasa would be ideal.
    living very close to this development i could not agree with you more ... this will do very well once it is built out

They are still widening Covell there in front of the golf course entrance and I'm sure it's in preparation for the more traffic volume to come. It's only a matter of time.

I saw they have begun work on the space across the entrance to Braums on South side of road. Is this still McDonald's?

Edmond really needs a proper East of i35 master plan - Otherwise it will turn into the absolute disaster that West Edmond is.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    Edmond really needs a proper East of i35 master plan - Otherwise it will turn into the absolute disaster that West Edmond is.
    what part of west edmond is a "disaster"

I thought the McDonald’s was supposed to go where the Starbucks is? It would be nice to have a McDonald’s here.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    That “should” be covered in the Edmond 2050 plan. There’s a thread here with the resources.

Based on the map I saw, the McD's is going where they are working across from Braums. Would be huge for this area.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Based on the map I saw, the McD's is going where they are working across from Braums. Would be huge for this area.
    Correct mcd owns the lot just next to the west of braums

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    A big “urban” / walkable development is proposed between Showbiz and Hilton Garden Inn. It is/was going to include a pedestrian paseo or a pedestrian oriented street to directly connect the two sites which it sits in the middle of and have around 800 or so apartments on top of retail and restaurants. I can’t recall if office is going to be included also.

The out parcels close to the street are going to be typical strip malls.

Covell and I-35 will receive stop lights at the on/off ramps. That project should start this summer, IIRC.

Covell widening will be extended to Fairfax neighborhood entrance but not all the way to Coltrane. That project starts this year as well I believe soon.

Sooner Bridge will be reconstructed to 4 lanes and feature a trail underpass tying into a future NE trail. That starts in a few years.

On the east side of I-35 there are various improvements as a new high school will be built in this area.

That’s all I know. Not sure if any specific planned stores. I would love to see a Whole Foods built at Sooner and Covell where Crest pulled out of.
    Crest just delayed this store due to all the construction and built # 9 in Yukon (Opened 10/28/20). Crest #10 at Sooner & Covell tentatively scheduled for Summer 22' opening. Construction should begin by late summer 21'.

On the east side of I-35 there is a SSM (St Anthony's) clinic that just opened on the north side and on the south side across from Fire St 5 an Integress clinic is under construction. With the number of housing units being built at a rapid pace, I would expect the area to the west of I-35 to in fill soon.

This seems like an area that was ready to explode before Covid hit. Maybe a good thing that everyone has had a chance to reset and think about this development more thoroughly. More dining is desperately needed in this part of Edmond. But...what would everyone's ideal development of this area look like? What needs to be built here?

Thread Information