Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Weather April 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Warmer today with strong south winds. This will continue for the first half of the week, pushing temperatures into the 80s.

Next cool down is Thursday heading into the weekend.

Looking out even further, there is some cold snaps in the forecast for early next week and even beyond that. Freezing temperatures are possible Sunday -Tuesday, perhaps even some light frozen precipitation.

Default Re: April 2020 - General Weather Discussion

A few supercells have developed on the far SW end of a dryline draped from NC OK and back into the TX panhandle. These are currently inside of a tornado watch that reaches just into SW OK.

If they hold together, they will likely combine into a small MCS that will try and push east across the state. If storms don’t die before reaching C OK, the main threat will be damaging winds and hail.

The Low is currently spinning directly over the state right now. Depending on destabilization progress, we could see some storms develop just over C OK or just east of C OK.

Anything that does develop has a chance to be severe. Large hail, isolated tornado.

Isn’t the incoming wind our real problem? I read up to 50mph gusts as the front cones thru around 2-4pm

Wind is almost here. A cool wind map I find a few years back. Hope everyone has outside items tied down!

http://hint.fm/wind/

Rain and hail in my area NW OKC. Wind picking up too. Pea size hail so far

Storms developing right on top of the metro. Strongest is cell going up in NW OKC in toward the west Edmond area. Hail size coming up on that cell. No severe warnings or watches as of 1:25PM.

20-30 MPH winds coming in behind the front. Blowing dust and falling temperatures will accompany.

Still hailing but staying pea sized. Yard is 1/4 hail now

Cold front has undercut storms. So weakening will continue. Story will be strong north winds ushering in cold air.

Temperatures will fall to near freezing tonight and then again Tuesday night.

There is a chance of some rain/snow mix late tonight, nothing significant anticipated.

Enjoy the nice day today. Just kidding, it will be 70 with 30 mph winds, of course. Chance of a passing shower or mist tonight on the tail-end of a storm system moving across KS.

Cooler for Friday, the weekend looks like 60s and another chance at some rain or storms Saturday night.

Consistently warmer weather is in the forecast finally. Storm chances pretty high late Tuesday through Wednesday.

Looking long-range there is some larger storm systems on the horizon that will likey result in increased severe weather chances.

I noticed yesterday the level at Lake Hefner is already quite high.

SPC outlining Slight risk across W and C OK for Tuesday night into Wednesday.

Sounds like if we do get storms tonight, there could be up to baseball sized hail. Then we are under a slight risk again for Wednesday evening. Timing for tonight is 10 pm to 3 am for the OKC area.

I got a ton of rain yesterday evening near Penn Square.

It came in two very quickly moving bursts, but I bet I got close to an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I was out with the stroller coming back home when that first wave with pea-sized hail hit. Luckily I was coming up to Western/44th and I could jump under the canopies of the old French Cowgirl and the laundromat. It was crazy because the door to the laundromat was open and as I walked by I got a huge whiff of detergent/fabric softener and for a split second my brain immediately thought I was in Buenos Aires because of all of the crazy pedestrian-oriented sensory explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

where you outside during the hailstorm? i live pretty close to you and i noticed that the 1st pea size hail storm came in and last about 5 minutes, then it stopped for about 3 minutes, then the 2nd little pea storm last for about 5 minutes. It seemed as if the winds kind of changed and started blowing the other way.
    Reason why i say this is b/c i have a south facing house, so i was on my porch during the 1st episode and barely any hail was coming onto my covered porch, but then it stopped and the 2nd one came back more of the pea hail was landing on my porch. just a little observation

No, I was not outside. Got a ton of hail.

Models showing waves of thunderstorms moving from NW to SE across the state beginning as early as 9-10pm. The first cluster looks to be best shot at severe weather, main threat being hail.

After that the threat switched to flash flooding as storms will continue overnight across the same areas.

NWS Severe Tstorm
    @NWSSevereTstorm
    Severe Thunderstorm Warning including Tuttle OK, Amber OK, Pocasset OK until 9:15 PM CDT

Tornado Warning for Elk City Oklahoma KFDR - Super-Res Reflectivity Tilt 1 7:33 PM MDT Super-Res Velocity Tilt 1 7:33 PM MDT #okwx

NWS Norman
    @NWSNorman
    8:45 PM- Another dangerous severe thunderstorm with large hail is approaching Elk City from the northwest! Tennis ball size hail is possible! Some flooding is also possible. #okwx

Tennis ball size hail? You can kiss the roof's goodbye. Damn

Thread Information