Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: April 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: April 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    Tennis ball size hail? You can kiss the roof's goodbye. Damn
    Go to this tweet for picture its massive

Michael Armstrong
    @KOCOMichael
    Tennis ball to baseball size hail with the storm near Elk City. Camera by Kelsey Merz #okwx #koco5

https://mobile.twitter.com/KOCOMicha...77741155356673

This trio of supercells will continue southeast. SW sides of OKC are getting clipped by anvil precipitation, but the main cores will stay southwest.

We will have a break before more storms develop out in western OK as the low ejects directly across the state.

I might be wrong but KFOR 4 never ran storm trackers or live radar shots this evening. Channel 5 and 9 were on top of all of it, and still are as of 11:20pm. Wonder what is going on over there? Just seems weird. Not complaining, just wondering.

I couldn't help but notice that central oklahoma, namely OKC and NE of us, missed out on a lot of the storms last night and this morning. Yesterday, David Payne was saying today was a bigger tornado day for the southeastern part of the state. Since central oklahoma missed out on the weather last night, does that mean the energy is still in the atmosphere for storms today? What are the chances we see an increased tornado threat today?

The low has tracked further north than models showed, but storm are still developing SW of the OKC area, these are on the backside of the low and tracking ENE.

Wind and hail are primary threats with any cell that becomes severe. As of 8:20am, the cell approaching SW OKC is severe.

Does News9 over saturate their weather intensity scale on purpose? Every time I see their radar I think some tornadic storms approaching. I guess I could see the benefit of being able to see stronger cores of the storm more clearly.

I had a baby in the Fall so I have not really paid attention to much of anything else: Did we ever dry out from last year's torrential rains, or do we still have a decent level of moisture build up that exposes us to significant flooding concerns throughout this storm season?

Rainfall in the last 365 days has been fantastic for most of OK. Very rarely do we get consistent moisture replenishment for this long.

For a running 365 days, Central OK is 13" over normal rainfall. Year-to-date Central OK is 3" over normal.

Flash flooding will always be a threat regardless of past moisture, severe storms can put down 3" of rain in an hour. In terms of persistent rain leading to flooding, I would still put the threat as low. Moisture in OK is generally a very good thing. The problem is we usually get it in the form of severe storms, which is the flash flooding mentioned above.

Looks like the boundary has pushed down to around Goldsby as of 12:30pm, the lower the better for OKC right? Of course I'll still be watching afternoon coverage and hoping anything that develops down south tracks over the fields and not the towns.

Last of any significant rain/storm is coming into the W sides of OKC metro right now. Nothing too serious it seems.

Potentially dangerous situation from south OK and down toward Dallas area with clear skies and temperatures near 90. Tornadoes will be possible with the supercells developing there.

Large tornado near Springer. Seems like activity is picking up as storms move East of 35

Slight chance at a passing shower or storm late tonight into Friday. Most action likely contained to E/NE OK.

Beautiful weekend on tap with OUT 30MPH WINDS!

Surprise little cell out in NW Canadian Co. moving in no hurry towards the metro ~15mph.

I'm sure Anon will have a much better summary of things, but OKC is currently inside a SPC sig severe bubble for wind and hail on their Day 2 outlook. Current hourly forecasts show the whole afternoon from around 1-6pm as the window for greatest development before it moves into eastern OK and really gets crazy.

As he said, SPC has outlined Enhanced Risk for essentially the eastern half of the state for Tuesday afternoon. Emphasis on large hail and damaging wind gusts.

Depending on where storms develop, the initial cells will be the most dangerous, as storms will likely form into an eventual line as we head into dark.

Moderate Risk upgrade to E/SE OK with emphasis on tornado parameters.

It is not too clear at this time if the boundary will develop storms far enough west to clip OKC metro or not. Right now most models develop storms just barely east of the populated city as the boundary passes by. Storms will start as individual cells that may eventually form into a line, which may then eventually form into a line of supercells that have tornado producing tendencies heading into SE parts of the state.

Outside of today, we're heading into our traditionally most active severe weather time in the state, and it doesn't look like there is a lick of activity worth a crap coming up. What are you guys seeing? Any changes for severe weather coming up in the next couple of weeks? This is one of the most fascinating times of the year to be in Oklahoma, and I feel like it's been kind of a bust so far. It also seems (haven't looked at the data) like it has been dry this month.

I'm personally OK with it being a bust all season for the severe stuff. But just because you're not seeing it in your exact location doesn't mean someone else in the state isn't suffering from it. Home repairs are the last thing anyone needs to worry about right now.

If we can avoid people crowding into shelters because of tornadoes and increasing the spread of COVID it would be a win-win.

Clouds are starting to go up over Woods County from the cold front moving in. Tornado Watch has been issued for the majority of NE Oklahoma until 11pm, but stops short of Payne Co.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EWt5aHHXQAI4t7f.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	16014

Are we gonna see some rain or slight storms in the metro?

Annnd there's the Severe Thunderstorm Watch until 11pm as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EWt74JfWoAMKVgI.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	16015

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    It also seems (haven't looked at the data) like it has been dry this month.
    Depends which part of the state you're in whether it's been dry or abnormally wet this past month

CU field starting to show signs of storm development NW of OKC. Boundary is moving quickly, so OKC may get early-development cells that are not yet severe. We shall see.

Short-range models are saying YES to storms hitting OKC in the next few hours.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 151 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 PM CDT
    FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS
    OK
    . OKLAHOMA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE
    ATOKA BRYAN CADDO
    CANADIAN CARTER CLEVELAND
    COAL COMANCHE COTTON
    GARFIELD GARVIN GRADY
    GRANT HUGHES JEFFERSON
    JOHNSTON KAY KINGFISHER
    LINCOLN LOGAN LOVE
    MARSHALL MCCLAIN MURRAY
    NOBLE OKLAHOMA PAYNE
    PONTOTOC POTTAWATOMIE SEMINOLE
    STEPHENS TILLMAN

Also as the map indicates in yellow, eastern Oklahoma has a tornado watch, which includes Tulsa:

Thread Information