Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Have You Learned Through the Virus?

Default Re: What Have You Learned Through the Virus?

I have started working on a new project entirely "from home" through conference calls and video chats. We've been able to get a lot of work done, probably the same amount as before. But the "feel" is completely different. It's just work absent the friendly banter before/after meetings, the after work happy hour, etc It's impersonal and I can't stand it. So maybe some like this but in my line of work it won't be the norm after this is all over, at least I hope to God it's not..

I've learned I hate working at home. There are so many distractions with kids and wife at home as well, pets, etc. I have trouble focusing then get anxious because I'm not getting as much done as I want to do. It's frustrating.

3. Default Re: What Have You Learned Through the Virus?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I heard him say that and read others saying the same. I would agree with this to some extent but wouldn't you agree people need a work environment? The incentive to get up early and hit the job isn't there at home. My wife used to get to work at 8am.. Now shes doing well to start working by 10. Unless its your own business, l just see incentive wo actually work at home at a fraction of what it is at an office.

IMO that's going to totally depend on the industry, a person's role, management and the environment they create for themselves to work from home.

My wife's hours have always been 7am - 4pm and half day on Weds. That hasn't changed one bit, other than she loves not having to loose 1+ hours a day commuting. Her office knows what time all employees log into their computers and knows how active they are on them. Her job is also task based. It's pretty easy to tell if she's getting work done or not since she's in HR. Management also schedules numerous Zoom meetings or conference calls. They run such a streamlined business with as few employees as necessary, it becomes extremely obvious if someone isn't pulling their wight. Your working environment is also critical. We have a large room in our house that is setup with its sole purpose to be an office: Two desks, multiple monitors, printers, scanners, file cabinets, etc. It's like stepping into an office anywhere else. She loves that the minute she is off work, she is also home.

Also, some of their Zoom meetings are strictly casual. It's setup for workers to just chat for a few minutes, introduce each other to the family pet, children, etc. and catch up. these last abut 10-15 minutes and are great for morale.

For me, I have an office in downtown to go to and my primary boss lives next door. So I can meet a client at the office or have a meeting with the boss by just walking next door. I find it very ideal.

For those with non-working spouses or kids, it can definitely be more challenging. But really no different than a spouse who is going back to college while also juggling a family life. They still need to put in the hours at home studying or even doing their classes online and remain focused.

chuck5815: Yep. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of people at any given organization (the stars of stars) who are going to consistently deliver acceptable results from a home office.
    Totally disagree. Many companies have been allowing workers to work from home for many years and IMO it isn't just the 'stars' who are able to do it. You have people mature and professional enough to work from home without direct supervision and you have people who don't. Being able to do so isn't so rare they are a 'star' IMO. Just like you have slackers in a traditional office and you have people who actually work.

RedDollar: My wife is working from home, and trying her best to make it work so well, that it will become permanent.
    Exact same with mine. She loves no commute, sleeping in an extra 45 minutes, and no distractions.

Quote Originally Posted by okccowan View Post
    I've learned I hate working at home. There are so many distractions with kids and wife at home as well, pets, etc. I have trouble focusing then get anxious because I'm not getting as much done as I want to do. It's frustrating.
    I agree. I do not like it either. I really need the social component of being in the office. But I'll be trading the distractions at home for the distractions at work. My only point is I doubt that people are 100% at capacity in the office and being at home probably proves that they aren't. I doubt productivity has slipped that much.

5. Default Re: What Have You Learned Through the Virus?

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I agree. I do not like it either. I really need the social component of being in the office. But I'll be trading the distractions at home for the distractions at work. My only point is I doubt that people are 100% at capacity in the office and being at home probably proves that they aren't. I doubt productivity has slipped that much.
    Too true about the office productivity. One day time yourself on how much actual work you do in 8 hours. Time a co-worker. No one works 8 full hours ever.

Remember, there was big push towards telecommuting when the internet first made it possible.

But studies showed that it really hurt productivity and most people generally didn't like it.

If it was effective on a large scale, most companies would be happy to not rent nearly as much expensive office space. I've been a manager of groups large and small for 30 years and IMO it doesn't work well.

Given that most people work over 40 hours a week anyway, the best plan I've seen is giving half the office every other Friday completely off (9/80: work 80 hours in 9 business days). Greatly improves morale and provides tons of time for short trips or merely take care of personal matters while most others are at work.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    I disagree. There is lots of work done around water cooler or breakroom or in passing. So many little things that contribute to company are done in person. Some jobs can be done at home but most still need human interaction imo.
    I don't know that it's lots, but I very much agree with the rest of what you posted. But to AP's point, it seems clear that we don't need to spend 40 hours a week in the office - a day per week might be all that's necessary for a whole lot of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    IMO that's going to totally depend on the industry, a person's role, management and the environment they create for themselves to work from home.

My wife's hours have always been 7am - 4pm and half day on Weds. That hasn't changed one bit, other than she loves not having to loose 1+ hours a day commuting. Her office knows what time all employees log into their computers and knows how active they are on them. Her job is also task based. It's pretty easy to tell if she's getting work done or not since she's in HR. Management also schedules numerous Zoom meetings or conference calls. They run such a streamlined business with as few employees as necessary, it becomes extremely obvious if someone isn't pulling their wight. Your working environment is also critical. We have a large room in our house that is setup with its sole purpose to be an office: Two desks, multiple monitors, printers, scanners, file cabinets, etc. It's like stepping into an office anywhere else. She loves that the minute she is off work, she is also home.

Also, some of their Zoom meetings are strictly casual. It's setup for workers to just chat for a few minutes, introduce each other to the family pet, children, etc. and catch up. these last abut 10-15 minutes and are great for morale.

For me, I have an office in downtown to go to and my primary boss lives next door. So I can meet a client at the office or have a meeting with the boss by just walking next door. I find it very ideal.

For those with non-working spouses or kids, it can definitely be more challenging. But really no different than a spouse who is going back to college while also juggling a family life. They still need to put in the hours at home studying or even doing their classes online and remain focused.

Totally disagree. Many companies have been allowing workers to work from home for many years and IMO it isn't just the 'stars' who are able to do it. You have people mature and professional enough to work from home without direct supervision and you have people who don't. Being able to do so isn't so rare they are a 'star' IMO. Just like you have slackers in a traditional office and you have people who actually work.

Exact same with mine. She loves no commute, sleeping in an extra 45 minutes, and no distractions.
    How you've described your wife's arrangement, is almost exactly the same as what my wife is doing. And if we knew this was gonna be permanent, we would spend some money to improve her work space.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't know that it's lots, but I very much agree with the rest of what you posted. But to AP's point, it seems clear that we don't need to spend 40 hours a week in the office - a day per week might be all that's necessary for a whole lot of folks.
    One other point about work at home. Quite a lot of folks don’t live in a home and are doing it temporary in apartments. Most don’t have a dedicated office either. So to push way more to WAH will be a stretch long term. If one doesn’t own or rent a house they are likely cramped for space and to add another room will increase their costs. Granted, they will have reduced transit and clothes costs but might eat more food at home since its feet away to fridge. You are also more likely to have internet outages at home when upgrade or maintenance work is being done in your area in the daytime hours

Will be interesting to see how it works long term. My guess is some won’t want to work at home and will moss the interactions of coworkers.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    One other point about work at home. Quite a lot of folks don’t live in a home and are doing it temporary in apartments. Most don’t have a dedicated office either. So to push way more to WAH will be a stretch long term. If one doesn’t own or rent a house they are likely cramped for space and to add another room will increase their costs. Granted, they will have reduced transit and clothes costs but might eat more food at home since its feet away to fridge. You are also more likely to have internet outages at home when upgrade or maintenance work is being done in your area in the daytime hours

Will be interesting to see how it works long term. My guess is some won’t want to work at home and will moss the interactions of coworkers.
    All very good points. I wonder if this might prompt governments to start looking at broadband internet as a utility?

What I have learned is the recommended set of hand washing motions for proper full hand soap coverage.

Maybe some other things too, but honestly that is what has stuck out the most.

The greater impact to society from working at home. What if ... 25% of people now commuting began working at home ...

There would immediately be a large reduction in traffic congestion without any level of govt spending a dime.

The need for new roads would be gone.

The need to upgrade existing roads to handle increasing traffic = gone

No need for future planning for mass transit, which few actually want , anyway.

If you think climate change is a serious concern, then there's an immediate huge drop in CO2 emissiions.

Lesser positives ......

Public health improves through lowered disease transmission in the work place

Lower road maintenance

Fewer auto accidents

And all of this done without any govt intervention or increased spending. In fact, it would save huge sums of taxpayer money that could be spent elsewhere or taxes lowered.

And what if 50% moved to work at home ? wow

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Remember, there was big push towards telecommuting when the internet first made it possible.

But studies showed that it really hurt productivity and most people generally didn't like it.

If it was effective on a large scale, most companies would be happy to not rent nearly as much expensive office space. I've been a manager of groups large and small for 30 years and IMO it doesn't work well.

Given that most people work over 40 hours a week anyway, the best plan I've seen is giving half the office every other Friday completely off (9/80: work 80 hours in 9 business days). Greatly improves morale and provides tons of time for short trips or merely take care of personal matters while most others are at work.
    Yeah, my company is thinking about a 1 day a week WFH after this is said and done.

On a practical side of the quarantine I have learned we CAN eat leftovers better than ever. We used to throw away a lot of leftovers because we'd simple go out and eat for a change of pace. But not now. Sure, we're buying more groceries that before BUT we're hardly throwing any away either.

15. Default Re: What Have You Learned Through the Virus?

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    On a practical side of the quarantine I have learned we CAN eat leftovers better than ever. We used to throw away a lot of leftovers because we'd simple go out and eat for a change of pace. But not now. Sure, we're buying more groceries that before BUT we're hardly throwing any away either.
    We’ve been doing the same. I actually like taking leftovers to work for lunch. Who knew!

That I never really washed my hands. Honestly i would be lucky to do it once a day now I'm like every 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    All very good points. I wonder if this might prompt governments to start looking at broadband internet as a utility?
    I think that would be an outstanding idea. School districts would also benefit. Imagine if kids who were sick or having trouble at school could stay enrolled via distance learning. Might eliminate the need for extra online charter schools or pare down the number of rural school districts.

I've learned my home state of OK is woefully unprepared for a pandemic of any size.

Nagging fear. It's been with me since the start of this Crisis. My DIL is a Nurse at Baptist. We watch our Grandsons from 0730 to 1730, 5 days a week. I have five of the preexisting problems that make you a sure croaker. I've backed off going over there as much.

After watching a segment on the OK Aviation and Space Hall of Fame on Discover Oklahoma last night, that every museum in the world will probably have to rethink every one of their touchscreen exhibits.

Two young professionals working from home with 2 kids under 3 years old.

This. Needs. To. Stop.

I've been thinking more about the WFH question. I think many like the flexibility. I think some bosses feel less work is done at home than in the office but the reality is that many were taking work home with them, checking emails, taking calls after hours. There seems to be some belief that the American worker is shiftless and will look for any excuse not to work. This ties into the complaint from the Sec. of Commerce that Oklahomans won't work with if they make to much$ on unemployment.
    If it took a virus to teach me how people in power really view the average worker bee, I guess I learned something pretty depressing.

Thread Information