Widgets Magazine

Thread: Photos of the old skidrow downtown

Default Photos of the old skidrow downtown

Does anyone have any photos of the skidrow area downtown? It was next to Stage Center. My dad was a cop and I used to go to acting classes in the early 70s. When he would pick me up from class he would tell me about the stuff that went on there and to never go there. A few years later the city got a grant to tear it down and as part of the grant money, they weren't allowed to build on it for many years so it sat empty and fenced off. I

Default Re: Photos of the old skidrow downtown

I recall the time period you're talking about. Pretty rough area. I rode the Greyhound bus a time or two and I was always a bit nervous to be in that area...especially at night. I'd like to see a pic or two of the area back then as well.

Haven't looked yet, but Doug Dawg's blog might have some, or the OK Historical Society. Also, maybe search the Joklahoman archives that are free with your library card through https://metrolibrary.org

Quote Originally Posted by btmec View Post
    Does anyone have any photos of the skidrow area downtown? It was next to Stage Center. My dad was a cop and I used to go to acting classes in the early 70s. When he would pick me up from class he would tell me about the stuff that went on there and to never go there. A few years later the city got a grant to tear it down and as part of the grant money, they weren't allowed to build on it for many years so it sat empty and fenced off. I
    Is the the 500 block of W Sheridan where John Rex sits? This is the area I remember as skid row.

5. Default Re: Photos of the old skidrow downtown

Even as a kid I always thought it was twisted and never understood the fascination but I remember my relatives coming to visit from Kansas and wanting to go downtown to see "the winos".

For as long as I can remember, up until just recently I think it's gone now, there was a building next to George's Liquor that had a street sign in the window that said WINO XING and had a stick figure crawling on it's knees.

Thread Information