Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Exotic Neflix documentary

1. Default Re: Joe Exotic Neflix documentary

LOL, l doubt 10 people outside OK brand the state with a seriesvrelatively few have watched. Every state has it's crazies. Come to CO and go meet a few mountain hermits - or trolls as some call them out in the Rockies. How about the pot users (not addicts, because you can't be addicted to pot) who are often homeless but whose every waking moment is to find a joint or a bag along the highway some tourist threw out on their way to the airport. How about CA, no crazies there. NY? Huh-uh. Everyone is sane.

Default Re: Joe Exotic Neflix documentary

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    LOL, l doubt 10 people outside OK brand the state with a seriesvrelatively few have watched. Every state has it's crazies. Come to CO and go meet a few mountain hermits - or trolls as some call them out in the Rockies. How about the pot users (not addicts, because you can't be addicted to pot) who are often homeless but whose every waking moment is to find a joint or a bag along the highway some tourist threw out on their way to the airport. How about CA, no crazies there. NY? Huh-uh. Everyone is sane.
    Top rated show on Netflix. My son lives in Chicago and people who know or find out he’s from Oklahoma have lots of questions about JE.

The people who watched this documentary and think these characters are some crazy outlier have never spent any amount of time in small town Oklahoma.

Hey don't tease us that way...tell more!

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    The people who watched this documentary and think these characters are some crazy outlier have never spent any amount of time in small town Oklahoma.
    I mean, sure, but this is the case in pretty much every state. I grew up in the outer suburbs/exurbs of Detroit, and there were plenty of crazy people there as well. Having spent significant amounts of time in both Michigan and Oklahoma, my personal opinion is that most of this country is more similar than people tend to think.

^

Yes, the high desert area of Southern California is pretty nutty.

Example: Mad Mike Hughes of Barstow who killed himself trying to launch a rocket and prove the earth was flat.

HangryHippo Guest

Crazies are everywhere. It's very similar to Covid-19 honestly - we'd find it's far more widespread if we had better testing. lol

Man, what a ride... After watching it, we had to find his music videos, and y'all really need to see those too if you haven't already, also quite insane.

Great story on the music video weirdness:

https://slate.com/culture/2020/03/ne...oe-exotic.html

He's apparently in a prison medical center now:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/joe-ex...rus-isolation/

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I thought the documentary was well done and very entertaining. The only downside is I'm now getting a ton of texts and questions from friends asking if those people are what all Oklahomans are like.
    He was born in Kansas, grew up in Wyoming and North Texas. Owned a pet store in Arlington with his brother until he was killed then moved to Oklahoma.

I know of some exotic animal nutjobs in the Hill Country west of Austin and in the Piney Woods of northeast Texas. There also some large/exotic animal hunting ranches scattered around Texas. It is not unique to Oklahoma, and yes, most exotic animal people are a bit off their rocker.

Texas Monthly - Joe Exotic: A Dark Journey Into the World of a Man Gone Wild

It’s not just exotics. I think you can experience that anytime you run into people who relate more to animals than they do humans. I saw this a lot back in the mid 80’s when I worked down at the fairgrounds and we would set up for the horse, dog and cat shows. There were those who I believe, their only interaction with humans were at the shows. The rest of their time was spent with their kennels of animals.

The main reason we sold our acreage was because the guy on the land next to us was an animal hoarder and abuser, and an all around nut job. My wife no longer felt safe to live there because of him, so we packed up and sold the place. Then two months after we moved we found out he was murdered.

I live in Texas... same county where Joe Exotic graduated high school.

12. Default Re: Joe Exotic Neflix documentary

Kind of related..... Anyone remember the pet store off Agnew that sold exotic animals decades ago? Wasn't it called Agnew All Pets or something like that? I remember you could buy most anything you wanted. I also recall them getting busted for feeding animals sugary foods they'd get at deep discount prices.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I mean, sure, but this is the case in pretty much every state. I grew up in the outer suburbs/exurbs of Detroit, and there were plenty of crazy people there as well. Having spent significant amounts of time in both Michigan and Oklahoma, my personal opinion is that most of this country is more similar than people tend to think.
    OK has nothing on the crazies in the woods of Colorado.

Joking aside, I think SEMI is on it, crazy seems to be pretty prevalent in every state, save for maybe some of the smaller Atlantic states that don't really have untamed areas.

So either you're fine with everything he does because you believe it necessary for humans to sometimes inhumanely exploit animals or you're a vegan. I do agree with legislation limiting the breeding of dangerous animals because they can be a danger to human life. I enjoy the zoo very much. I probably won't ever get to go on Safari to experience seeing the animals we keep in our zoo. The zoo, while professionally kept, while humanely run, is just a different degree of the same type of exploitation as the Wynnewood zoo. One uses lethal injection by someone with a veterinary license to put down sick animals. The other uses a pistol. Both means to the same end.

15. Default Re: Joe Exotic Neflix documentary

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    ... One uses lethal injection by someone with a veterinary license to put down sick animals. The other uses a pistol. Both means to the same end.
    IMO there is a huge difference between euthanizing "sick" animals due to the poor conditions in which the animals were being kept (that had a direct impact on the animal's overall health) and "sick" regardless of the relatively good care the animals received while in captivity. Additionally, Joseph is accused of killing animals inhumanly (with a gun) simply because he could not afford to feed them or they were otherwise a financial burden/liability.

^

There is a new episode where Joel McHale interviews several of those who appeared in the documentary and they said the tigers he killed were healthy and Joe merely wanted the cage space.

They had to keep breeding cubs because petting them was the main way to make income.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

There is a new episode where Joel McHale interviews several of those who appeared in the documentary and they said the tigers he killed were healthy and Joe merely wanted the cage space.

They had to keep breeding cubs because petting them was the main way to make income.
    There was a circus guy who paid Joe to house his tigers in the off-season, and to make room for those tigers (and money), Joe killed some of his own. Interesting article that goes pretty deep into some of Joe's life, but details can be horrible and disgusting, fair warning...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-sex-toys.html

^

Nothing would surprise me about this crew of lunatics but Jeff Lowe IMO is the sleaziest of the bunch and I wouldn't believe a word he said.

^

Nothing would surprise me about this crew of lunatics but Jeff Lowe IMO is the sleaziest of the bunch and I wouldn't believe a word he said.
    It all seems fairly believable, horrible, crazy, and disgusting, all at the same time, and they apparently have pics and video.

I think you've got to make a distinction between being cruel to an animal and killing an animal. We kill animals all the time. Never been deer hunting? Never had a hamburger? To me it doesn't make a single bit of difference how or why Joe Exotic would put a tiger down, as long as it was done quickly and without suffering. A bullet of sufficient size can do that.

21. Default Re: Joe Exotic Neflix documentary

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    I think you've got to make a distinction between being cruel to an animal and killing an animal. We kill animals all the time. Never been deer hunting? Never had a hamburger? To me it doesn't make a single bit of difference how or why Joe Exotic would put a tiger down, as long as it was done quickly and without suffering. A bullet of sufficient size can do that.
    Not sure how anyone can say "To me it doesn't make a single bit of difference how or why Joe Exotic would put a tiger down, as long as it was done quickly and without suffering." Am I hearing you right? Are you saying you're fine with him killing a Tiger simply because it's not profitable to keep feeding it? You're aware tigers are not deer or cows right? And killing Tigers has certain federal implications.

Secondly, simply using a "bullet of sufficient size" in no way ensures the death was "quick and without suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Not sure how anyone can say "To me it doesn't make a single bit of difference how or why Joe Exotic would put a tiger down, as long as it was done quickly and without suffering." Am I hearing you right? Are you saying you're fine with him killing a Tiger simply because it's not profitable to keep feeding it? You're aware tigers are not deer or cows right? And killing Tigers has certain federal implications.

Secondly, simply using a "bullet of sufficient size" in no way ensures the death was "quick and without suffering."
    Not saying I agree or disagree with Hoya but I’ve always found it interesting how one decides a specific life form is more valuable than another. Are making a moral argument or a legal one? Because you say tigers are not cows which anyone with a single brain cell could tell you but what are implying by that?

23. Default Re: Joe Exotic Neflix documentary

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Not saying I agree or disagree with Hoya but I’ve always found it interesting how one decides a specific life form is more valuable than another. Are making a moral argument or a legal one? Because you say tigers are not cows which anyone with a single brain cell could tell you but what are implying by that?
    If you can't tell what I'm implying, then try using more than a single brain cell.

Cows, in this context are part of our food supply. Tigers? Not so much. Same goes for deer to a much lesser degree. Additionally, neither cows or deers are endangered nor legally protected to the extent Tigers are. Tigers also fill a different role in our society.

How is this that difficult to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    If you can't tell what I'm implying, then try using more than a single brain cell.

Cows, in this context are part of our food supply. Tigers? Not so much. Same goes for deer to a much lesser degree. Additionally, neither cows or deers are endangered nor legally protected to the extent Tigers are. Tigers also fill a different role in our society.

How is this that difficult to understand?
    Haha I guess I don’t have a brain cell because I can’t tell what you’re implying unless my original conclusion that you insinuated the life of a tiger is worth more than a cow was correct. It’s not right or wrong. I just find it interesting. But what I wasn’t sure of is whether or not you were making an argument from a moral standpoint or otherwise.

Consciousness is something of great interest to me and I always find it fascinating when others know so much about the value life holds and how confident they are in their beliefs. I guess that has to do with the fact we know so little about it. Even some of the greatest neuroscientist and biologists in the world will readily admit they know next to nothing about what consciousness really is.

^

That was a very interesting part. All of Joe's workers thought the animals were easier to live with than Joe. Listening to them took away what very little sympathy I had for what ended up happening to him. He struck me as a bitter little man who could never get over that woman leading the way toward persuading malls to stop letting him put on petting and picture taking shows. He foolishly got so consumed by his own hatred that it cost all his freedom. If he dies in prison, further good riddance. If President Trump has a heart for mistreated animals, he surely won't let him out early.

Thread Information