Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Does Hoarding Say About Us?

Default Re: What Does Hoarding Say About Us?

So much of this hoarding is that everyone wants anything they could possibly want, and they want a big stockpile of it.

I just took inventory of what I have at home and I easily have 2 months of food.

Now, I won't be able to make a gourmet omelet and it may not be exactly what I want for every meal, but people need to stop panicking and wait for stores to catch up a bit, then be reasonable in what they buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    So much of this hoarding is that everyone wants anything they could possibly want, and they want a big stockpile of it.

I just took inventory of what I have at home and I easily have 2 months of food.

Now, I won't be able to make a gourmet omelet and it may not be exactly what I want for every meal, but people need to stop panicking and wait for stores to catch up a bit, then be reasonable in what they buy.
    Agree. I dropped in to WalMart yesterday to round out a few things in my pantry. The canned goods aisle had about 20% left on the shelves, and I wasn't buying anything in that aisle but merely observing what was left. All of a sudden this lady came through with a shopping cart and cleaned the last 20% off of the shelves. I wanted to say something, but confronting a panicked person can lead to greater conflict so I left it alone and just shook my head. It didn't matter what item it was, it went into her cart. Her cart was empty when she got in the aisle but completely full when she left.

I bet most of that ends up in the trash in 5-6 years after it is rediscovered behind some old boxes of cheerios.

And you see people trucking out pallets of bottled water.

There hasn't been any issue with water supply anywhere. Bottled water is such an American thing and it's so incredibly silly to start with.

I stopped by Crest yesterday. I did see empty shelves, but with the exception of milk I didn't have trouble getting anything I really wanted.

6. Default Re: What Does Hoarding Say About Us?

Screw hording toilet paper, I'm hording ammo.

...because I'm coming after YOUR toilet paper.

- A meme I saw recently that made me chuckle

7. Default Re: What Does Hoarding Say About Us?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Agree. I dropped in to WalMart yesterday to round out a few things in my pantry. The canned goods aisle had about 20% left on the shelves, and I wasn't buying anything in that aisle but merely observing what was left. All of a sudden this lady came through with a shopping cart and cleaned the last 20% off of the shelves. I wanted to say something, but confronting a panicked person can lead to greater conflict so I left it alone and just shook my head. It didn't matter what item it was, it went into her cart. Her cart was empty when she got in the aisle but completely full when she left.

I bet most of that ends up in the trash in 5-6 years after it is rediscovered behind some old boxes of cheerios.
    Now I know why my mom (of depression age), had cans of salmon, spam and soup in boxes in the basement when we were cleaning out their house several years ago. She also had hidden roles of TP>>

Just back from Sam's at 39th & May and they weren't very busy and they had plenty of TP and most other things.

A lot (but not all) of the bread and meat were sold out, and all eggs and some canned goods. But I still was able to get exactly what I needed.

I also used the Braum's drive-thru and 39th & Penn and there was only one other car.

Isn't it amazing what humans can/will do when they refuse to use logic or reason?
    And you see people trucking out pallets of bottled water.

There hasn't been any issue with water supply anywhere. Bottled water is such an American thing and it's so incredibly silly to start with.

10. Default Re: What Does Hoarding Say About Us?

Just back from Sam's at 39th & May and they weren't very busy and they had plenty of TP and most other things.

A lot (but not all) of the bread and meat were sold out, and all eggs and some canned goods. But I still was able to get exactly what I needed.

I also used the Braum's drive-thru and 39th & Penn and there was only one other car.
    Wife and I had sort of a surreal moment at WalMart last night. She said "want me to make some tortilla soup in the instapot?" So, we headed to the store. She had her little list of ingredients she needed.... in the midst of it all, carts zoomed past us full of a wide variety of canned, dry goods, lots of processed crap and a mix of blank stares and total panic on faces. She went about getting each and every ingredient and we left. We both commented how it felt like we had just walked into a movie set and we were the only one's not given a script. Such a wild time to be alive.

11. Default Re: What Does Hoarding Say About Us?

I ran to Crest last night to grab some fresh vegetables, which there were plenty of, and what's missing from the shelves concerns me more than the virus.

Bread, chips, potatoes, mac & cheese, sugar loaded cereal, canned biscuits, sugar, flour, all sold out.... People sitting in their homes for the next month(s) consuming this are going to risk coming out of this with longer lasting health issues than most will experience if they get the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I ran to Crest last night to grab some fresh vegetables, which there were plenty of, and what's missing from the shelves concerns me more than the virus.

Bread, chips, potatoes, mac & cheese, sugar loaded cereal, canned biscuits, sugar, flour, all sold out.... People sitting in their homes for the next month(s) consuming this are going to risk coming out of this with longer lasting health issues than most will experience if they get the virus.
    Fresh vegetables are safe to eat. Wash them well, as you always do. They don't have a long shelf life but most can be blanched for 1-2 minutes and then frozen for later use.

According to the Oklahoman, gun sales are up around the metro in recent days.

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    According to the Oklahoman, gun sales are up around the metro in recent days.

Interesting.
    Here in SoCal too. There is a gun store in Culver City with lines around the block. It’s insane. I am thinking of buying some guns myself.

Good for you. Maybe some people think they gotta hoard so they can eventually build up a big supply and no longer need to go to the stores and risk exposing themselves to the virus. Otherwise, for the people who aren't that paranoid over the virus crisis, there is no need to hoard, psychologically speaking. I'm not hoarding.

16. Default Re: What Does Hoarding Say About Us?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Here in SoCal too. There is a gun store in Culver City with lines around the block. It’s insane. I am thinking of buying some guns myself.
    And ammo shelves are empty at the couple places I go to. Even with them limiting quantities starting a couple of weeks ago. Almost makes me wonder if some whackos out there ate thinking “I don’t need to buy TP. You did and I have a gun”.

17. Default Re: What Does Hoarding Say About Us?

We went to the grocery store Saturday afternoon. We got plenty of food to keep us for a couple weeks. Most of the things we usually get were there. But what we eat is far from gourmet. Let’s call it fast and easy. Mostly frozen or packaged, probably highly processed products. I stopped on the way home today and could have stocked up more but since the things we get were still plentiful I figure they will stay that way. Also, since my wife is the office manager for a local chain grocer I know the overtime that’s being put in and the number of semis of product being delivered to the warehouse by suppliers and distributed to the stores. So at this point I’m not worried about eating.

18. Default Re: What Does Hoarding Say About Us?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post

It could be said that I eat nothing but unhealthy garbage and drink too much. After having both hips replaced a couple of years ago my Dr. has me on a regular schedule of tests, scans, etc. The verdict: I’m as healthy as a thoroughbred race horse.

Weird trip to Homeland on 18th/Classen today - they were out of *tons* of stuff, even after placing limits of 1 per item on eggs, TP, paper towels, sanitizer, wipes, etc. Only maybe 20-25 people in the store, so they didn't seem swamped (and weren't the last time we were in there) so the supply chain is still suffering pretty badly, I'm guessing. Thought things would've been able to stay restocked by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Did you get what you wanted?

Ok, we are not to be hoarding but, if you are older, higher risk due to respiratory issues and live out a ways, what do you do? If you don't have family and friends are way busy right now and usually very busy, delivery food companies don't deliver, no neighbors to help (deer dont go grocery shopping except in your garden) and the governor says to say home until the end of April, you do have to stock up if you haven't already. That is 5 weeks worth of food.

22. Default Re: What Does Hoarding Say About Us?

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Ok, we are not to be hoarding but, if you are older, higher risk due to respiratory issues and live out a ways, what do you do? If you don't have family and friends are way busy right now and usually very busy, delivery food companies don't deliver, no neighbors to help (deer dont go grocery shopping except in your garden) and the governor says to say home until the end of April, you do have to stock up if you haven't already. That is 5 weeks worth of food.
    I don't consider that 'hoarding.' To me hoarding is unnecessarily stockpiling items you don't need. If you are simply filing your shelves to avoid trips to the store, then that's not hoarding IMO. It's people who are not staying indoors and buy a pallet of toilet paper that I would define as hoarding.

Not sure if this fits in the hoarding thread, but I have to believe that if limits were put on items a while ago, we wouldn't be in this situation. Wife went to Walgreen's on 23rd/May on her way home from work today (she's off with administrative leave unless the House calls her, and they called her last night to come in today, the lawsausage-making must go on), and the cashier said it would be at least a month before they had any hand sanitizer.

24. Default Re: What Does Hoarding Say About Us?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Not sure if this fits in the hoarding thread, but I have to believe that if limits were put on items a while ago, we wouldn't be in this situation. Wife went to Walgreen's on 23rd/May on her way home from work today (she's off with administrative leave unless the House calls her, and they called her last night to come in today, the lawsausage-making must go on), and the cashier said it would be at least a month before they had any hand sanitizer.
    I'd tend to believe that traditional supply chains of items, like sanitizer and masks, have by this point been diverted to medical facilities, LE, and areas with the most need.

25. Default Re: What Does Hoarding Say About Us?

A few beer breweries here in the Denver area have switched to making hand sanitizer since they can't operate as breweries right now. Their biggest problem is not being able to secure containers for the sanitizer product they make.

Thread Information