Widgets Magazine

Thread: Palo Santo

Farmers Market Palo Santo

Palo Santo to bring new life to Farmers Market

California transplants Brian and Bailey Butler are set to open Palo Santo Cocktail Bar + Kitchen, an ambitious new entry in the Farmers Market District.

The couple moved to Oklahoma City about a year ago, after visits to Bailey's parents – who had moved here from Iowa – revealed opportunity.

Brian had been involved in managing some of the hottest bars and restaurants in the Los Angeles area (The Brig in Venice, A-Frame in Culver City) and wanted to open a place of his own in OKC.

After searching all over town for the right space, the Butlers settled on a spot briefly occupied by Rewind arcade bar next to the Loaded Bowl.

Brian and his father-in-law built out the space themselves, creating a warm environment with a large bar, several tables and booths and a pool table up front near a large overhead door.

The extensive bar list reveals Brian's bartending background, with all the classics but many fresh takes, with an emphasis on tequila and mezcal.

At a recent preview, I sampled the signature Palo Santo, a unique approach to an Old Fashioned with mezcal, pineapple, sencha and demerara. I also tried a shaken cocktail called El Dorado, with mezcal, rum, ginger, tamarind, benedictine and lemon. Both were standouts.

In addition to six local beers on tap and several more in bottles and cans, there is a good wine selection and an impressive selection of small plate dishes.

As for the food, the tomato bread was excellent as were the chicken chilmole tacos, which were flavorful with a spicy kick.

Palo Santo opens tonight (Friday 3/13) at 1203 SW 2nd Street and will operate daily from 4 PM to late. The Butlers hope to soon add weekend brunch.

Default Re: Palo Santo

This is such a great place and a wonderful addition to the Farmers Market.

Along with Powerhouse and the Loaded Bowl, the area is starting to round into shape.

The large multi-family project planned for that adjacent vacant tract with be another big step forward.

Will we see more info on that project this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Will we see more info on that project this year?
    Yes, it's moving forward. Not sure when it will start construction but they are working on the plans and rezoning is already in progress.

I am glad to read that. I still love Powerhouse and find it to be one of my favorite bars in the city.

Blog Entries

Awesome, can't wait...

Glad to see our city mature and branch out beyond Bricktown into areas like Paseo, Mid-Town, Film Row, 39th Street and Farmers' Market. These are the areas where you cement that Big League City feel.

Someone needs to let those two pool players know it's time to go with the fist bump over the handshake. #safetyfirst

Went by Friday night for a drink. I really like the build out. It isn't fancy, just really nice and has a comfortable feel.

I had a spicy tequila cocktail, $9. I really enjoyed it, even thought i forgot the name of it. They also serve some food.

This area will be challenge for them, Farmer's Market isn't much of a draw to a lot of people. Best of luck to them.

Not a great time to open a business. Good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Not a great time to open a business. Good luck to them.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    Why?
    Coronavirus !

I met a friend at Palo Santo last night (Sunday) and it was good to see they were quite busy.

They do such a great job and I love the space and atmosphere.

It's one of my favorite places in OKC.

13. Default Re: Palo Santo

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I met a friend at Palo Santo last night (Sunday) and it was good to see they were quite busy.

They do such a great job and I love the space and atmosphere.

It's one of my favorite places in OKC.
    My friends had a get together after their wedding there last night. I probably saw you and didn't even realize it!

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    My friends had a get together after their wedding there last night. I probably saw you and didn't even realize it!
    Haha... Yes, I was there at the same time.

I was sitting at the bar with Wade Scaramucci, the lead architect for AHMM.

15. Default Re: Palo Santo

Checked it out for the first time tonight…my roll has been slow during the pandemic. Enjoyed some of the best high-proof rye old fashioneds I’ve ever imbibed. Nice place.

Went here last night on our way to see Yola at Jones, because the concert food at Jones sucks. Pretty cool place, as others have mentioned, I had a Get Up, Get Down and Basquerac, wife had a To Your Health (I think that's the name), all were strong enough and quite tasty. We split the tots (decent, but needs more sauce, toppings, etc., you end up with a bunch of bare tots at the end), she had the chicken sandwich (great) and I had the burger (decent). We're not bar people, but this would be a nice place to hang out.

Love it. The burger is as good as any in OKC and really all of the food I’ve tried there is superb. Nice, unpretentious service with an earthy cool vibe.

The owners, Bailey and Brian, are both always there.

They really know what they are doing and are two of the nicest people around.

Bailey's dad did all the build-out, which is impressive given how nice it is.

The owners, Bailey and Brian, are both always there.

They really know what they are doing and are two of the nicest people around.

Bailey's dad did all the build-out, which is impressive given how nice it is.
    I'm allergic/intolerant to agave/mezcal/tequila (yeah, I know, server laughed too), and she said she asked Brian about it being in the habanero sauce on the burger, so that's nice that they're so hands-on/there. Turns out, the borracho sauce is the only thing that has agave/mezcal actually in the recipe and not just something on top, if anybody else needs to know. I want to try more of their drinks, the ones we had were really good, but my liver (and wallet) would protest, there are so many that look good (even discounting the agave-based ones)...

I've mentioned this before, but by a weird coincidence Brian used to manage a popular bar in Venice, CA called The Brig. I had been there many times before both of us moved to OKC.

Neither Bailey or Brian are from Oklahoma but while they were both in L.A., Bailey's parents retired to OKC and after visiting a few times, saw the opportunity to start a bar of their very own. Unfortunately for them, Palo Santo opened just after the pandemic hit. Amazingly, they were able to hang in there and after a very rough start they have definitely found their following.

Both Brian and Bailey really know what they are doing and it shows; plus they clearly love what they do. As I've mentioned, this is one of my favorite places in town.

21. Default Re: Palo Santo

I've mentioned this before, but by a weird coincidence Brian used to manage a popular bar in Venice, CA called The Brig. I had been there many times before both of us moved to OKC.

Neither Bailey or Brian are from Oklahoma but while they were both in L.A., Bailey's parents retired to OKC and after visiting a few times, saw the opportunity to start a bar of their very own. Unfortunately for them, Palo Santo opened just after the pandemic hit. Amazingly, they were able to hang in there and after a very rough start they have definitely found their following.

Both Brian and Bailey really know what they are doing and it shows; plus they clearly love what they do. As I've mentioned, this is one of my favorite places in town.
    I love this place too. The cocktails are outstanding and they have a great beer selection. Be sure to check out my friend Daniel's store, Trade, next door to the east!

I was there Friday evening and it was one of the best "going out" nights I've had in years. The place got totally packed (yet still hospitable) by around 8:30 or so. Such an interesting, adult crowd. The staff is great and I got to sample the carnitas tacos. They are insanely good.

Still yet to find something there that hasn't been absolutely excellent.

Thread Information