Widgets Magazine

Thread: RIP Kurt Leicther- Treasures Inc.

Default RIP Kurt Leicther- Treasures Inc.

Kurt Leichter’s 96 year journey in the county he always held dear ended March 3, 2020 as he passed away at home surrounded by family.
    He had a most interesting life and most marveled at his stories of survival and gratitude.

Kurt was born in Vienna, Austria in 1924 to Bela Leichter, advertising executive for the Neue Freie Presse, and Clair Costa Leichter, retired opera singer and daughter of the founding director of the Josefstader Theatre in Vienna. Clair died in 1936 and Bela worked at the newspaper until Hitler invaded Austria in 1938. Kurt’s father, along with many other Jewish people, were detained by the German Nazi S.S. and jailed in Vienna. Upon his release, having had their home and all possessions confiscated, Kurt and his father were given 72 hours to arrange passage out of Austria.

Due to closed United States immigration quotas, his Hungarian born father immigrated to London, England and thirteen year old Austrian born Kurt fled to the U.S. by himself. He made his way to New York to live with distant family friends and later was sent to a trade school which happened to be in Oklahoma.

Through the help and kindness of the ladies Jewish League in Oklahoma City, Kurt found work as a jewelry apprentice at the age of sixteen. The apprenticeship placed him on a path that would provide the education and background to a very successful career. Many long time Oklahomans will remember Treasures, Inc., established in 1957, by Kurt and his late wife, Sydney. Treasures, Inc. became one of the leading and most fashionable jewelry stores in the state of Oklahoma.

After 34 years in business, Kurt retired and upon retirement his interest in photography flourished. He was privileged to be the very first amateur to be invited for a one man show at the International Photography Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City in 1995. Kurt was invited to show in Vienna, Austria in an exhibition designed for photographers who were born in Austria but forced to flee during the Nazi occupation. This exhibition at the Kunsthalle Wein in Museumquartier in Vienna traveled Austria and Europe for one year.

A true philanthropist at heart, Kurt supported many educational endeavors through endowments and scholarships at Oklahoma City University and many other colleges. He gave of himself as he served on many community and church boards such as Habitat for Humanity, Crime Stoppers, and was a Trustee Emeritus at Oklahoma City University. Kurt was proud to be a 32 ½ degree Mason and a member of St. Luke’s United Methodist Church in Edmond.

Kurt was honored with an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Oklahoma City University, the Bishop Paul W. Milhouse Award from the United Methodist Foundation and the Habitat for Humanity Inspiration Award.

Kurt lived in Edmond with his wife of twenty-six years, Cathy and has one daughter, Larisa Leichter Turner and husband, Mike.

A Celebration of a Life Well Lived will be held Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 2:00pm at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church downtown campus.

Donations may be made to Mercy Health Foundation Leichter Women’s Fund, 13321 N Meridian Ave. #206, Oklahoma City, OK 73120 or the charity of your choice.

Blog Entries

Default Re: RIP Kurt Leicther- Treasures Inc.

Thanks, a great life indeed, amazing in the grand scheme that he got to OKC. I remember his ads for Treasures Inc.

Help me out.....

Was it his store on North May by the old/closed Homeland or was his store across the street from Shepard Mall? I could have sworn that the person(I can't remember their name) who owned the jewelry store on North May...it's now either a quick clinic or a dentist off.....by the old Homeland....told me they were moving to Florida. Wow...that was a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post
    Help me out.....

Was it his store on North May by the old/closed Homeland or was his store across the street from Shepard Mall? I could have sworn that the person(I can't remember their name) who owned the jewelry store on North May...it's now either a quick clinic or a dentist off.....by the old Homeland....told me they were moving to Florida. Wow...that was a few years ago.
    I bought a ring from Mr. Leichter way back in the early- to mid-90s at his store on North May, in the center that contained the Homeland. Whether or not there was another location at any time, I don't know.

Yes, Mr Leichter had a store on 23rd street across from Shepard Mall. On the south side of 23rd between Youngs and Villa. .... Treasures Incorporated.

Thread Information