Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Trails Network

Blog Entries

Default Re: OKC Trails Network

In theory they could/should be part of BSSC documents, but I haven't checked that. Keep in mind that the budget just got approved and so things will only be getting fleshed out going forward.

2. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Here’s a link to the OKC trails map.
    https://www.okc.gov/departments/parks-recreation/trails
    Click the “map” text in the second paragraph and it opens an interactive map of the trail system both complete and planned.

Blog Entries

Went for a ride from Robinson to trail closure at Council, and on the north side herbicide had been sprayed from Agnew to Pennsylvania, yea, hope it solves the stickers. Now the park maintenance needs to do both sides from Meridian to Council. Bravo.

Its too late in the season to spray for sand bur. It needs to be sprayed around june/july when its just coming out of the ground. I'm thinking its for winter weeds.

A decision to allow class 3 e bikes to use city trails is being considered.

https://freepressokc.com/okc-trails-...2ftVTBOuVB6vGk

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

They should not allow motorized bikes on the trail.

7. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

I don’t have a problem with Class 1 & 2 e-bikes on the trails. They cut off assistance at 20 mph and lots of cyclists go that fast. Class 3 should not be on trails. They’re fast enough to easily be on the street.

Lol..... we should probably tackle the dirt bikes, ATVs, and straight-up full-sized cars and trucks that regularly drive on segments of the Oklahoma River Trail before we worry too much about e-bikes. I am on various parts of the trails just about every day and I either directly encounter or can see (for example, on the opposite river bank) illegal vehicles on the trails about a third of days.

Also, a quick update on the discussion about the detour/closure on the West River Trail. A (so far) small sinkhole has opened up in the trail just south of the I-40 underpass and just north of the current trail closure. There's probably still enough clearance for them to execute their permanent realignment plan and avoid the sinkhole, but that's not promising for the long-term stability of that segment of the trail since it implies that the river bank is going to continue to erode, even outside the closure. Let's hope the damage doesn't get too much closer to the I-40 bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I don’t have a problem with Class 1 & 2 e-bikes on the trails. They cut off assistance at 20 mph and lots of cyclists go that fast. Class 3 should not be on trails. They’re fast enough to easily be on the street.
    But they only go up to 28 mph, Maybe they ban the class 3s in denser areas? I see allowing class 3s as expanding and making the trail system more open to commuters.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    But they only go up to 28 mph, Maybe they ban the class 3s in denser areas? I see allowing class 3s as expanding and making the trail system more open to commuters.
    I own a pair of Class 2 bikes so I'm very much in favor of these rules being changed. Class 3 is a little fast, but I think joggers/cyclists are going to generally be safer around a bicycle going 28 mph than a Class 3 cyclist surrounded by cars going 45. If the trails are suddenly packed with electric bicycles, I'd say we have a good problem on our hands

Hello,

Is there a project to connect the south part of the River trail, on the East side to the Eagle lake trail ? I think there is no trail between I 35 and Eastern so not even a mile.
    It would a quick a nice add on and go by the new museum.

Blog Entries

I've heard something like this has been proposed but don't know the veracity of that info

There was a discussion on Twitter last night about bike access over the Western & I-44 bridge, in that discussion the OKC Twitter account talked about the Deep Fork Trail which will be in that area and I was able to get a copy of a presentation given last November with some details and costs.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that. Thought it was supposed to be done by the summer originally but I haven't seen indication of that.

The west river trail is officially open or reopened.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...25534700808404

Blog Entries

The post says not officially open but they don't mind it being used....

(I've used it)

18. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Awesome! Been following the progress of what I could see along I-40 in the mornings.... did notice quite a bit of sediment on the section along there after the rains the other night.

19. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Went and rode Friday night and it's mostly open... Had to navigate around a few gates and fences in places.

Hit a big patch of mud under the bridge at Reno and almost went down.... Thanks goodness I was on my mountain bike and stayed up but you guys with skinny wheels better be vigilant through that area until the vegetation fills in and the erosion stabilizes.

Also look out for the pothole in the new asphalt just as you cross the service road on the new section..... Not a high speed area but it could still definitely bend a rim and throw a rider.

It was still a little damp from the rains but the strip where they removed the old trail will be rideable on a MTB.... Doubt we're supposed to ride it but as long as it's not overgrown.... I may get lost *WINK* and cut through there on the Trek.

Blog Entries

Rode today, the Council gate still closed. Yesterday, and a gate on the new pavement south side, easy to ride around, and work continues on finishing landscaping and curb repair.

Blog Entries

Gates were all open on Saturday, no going around anything.

Video of how it's looking:
    https://youtu.be/tObyn3wA25U

Blog Entries

Very unappealing route. Maybe we can find some junkyards and abandoned buildings to ride through.

Can’t we find routes that offer more than a flat surface? One of the reasons I like riding Hefner is that is a good ride in a pleasant environment. This just doesn’t look pleasant.

The route drops down closer to the river. Shawn was just showing where the route was rebuilt to get it away from an unstable bank on the river near the I-40 bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    The route drops down closer to the river. Shawn was just showing where the route was rebuilt to get it away from an unstable bank on the river near the I-40 bridge.
    Yes, and that section looks much better now. Glad it's fixed. Have they said if still ok to use Class 3 ebike?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Yes, and that section looks much better now. Glad it's fixed. Have they said if still ok to use Class 3 ebike?
    I may have this wrong, but with the state passing the ebikes allowed on trails law that takes effect Nov 1, the city would then have to pass code restricting them at that point, right?

Thread Information